Matt Targett

villan-scott

He's still a good left back.  In the 3-5-2 at the start of the season and in the Gerrard 'system' he was asked to play wing back which he doesn't have the engine for.  It's more Eddie Howe that has been the masterstroke for Newcastle.  I never thought I'd be envious of a team having him as manager/coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

He was dogshit at the start of this season and didn't want to be here.

His Watford performance was one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen. Fat, slow, under prepped and couldn't be arsed. 

We also don't know anything about this mythical fee. Could be £25m for all we know. Media speculation. 

To be fair vs Watford he’d been out injured all preseason and was rushed back for the first game of the season with no preparation. It was a poor tactical decision rather than the player’s fault.

Our whole preseason was shambolic to be fair for many reasons; injuries, late-returners, a bad transfer window, friendlies cancelled, senior coaches leaving. I know it’s a stretch to say it’s still costing us now, but it certainly set up what has followed

• Like 3

Just now, david-avfc said:

To be fair vs Watford he’d been out injured all preseason and was rushed back for the first game of the season with no preparation. It was a poor tactical decision rather than the player’s fault.

Our whole preseason was shambolic to be fair for many reasons; injuries, late-returners, a bad transfer window, friendlies cancelled, senior coaches leaving. I know it’s a stretch to say it’s still costing us now, but it certainly set up what has followed

I would agree that it was as much on Deano as it was Targett, it was a shambolic performance nonetheless and really embarrassing for the club. 

21 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The real masterstroke... is you and a few other posters newly developed psychic abilities.

I reckon the board could do with a medium or two to be fair.

How quickly they forget that wet wipe wanted to leave rather than stick around for competition. A few decent performances and people forget his awful run of form prior.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

How quickly they forget that wet wipe wanted to leave rather than stick around for competition. A few decent performances and people forget his awful run of form prior.

Again its not a competition if its rigged as Targett never had a chance. No way we pay Digne to sit on the bench regardless of his form

21 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The real masterstroke... is you and a few other posters newly developed psychic abilities.

I reckon the board could do with a medium or two to be fair.

People called it a mistake at the time, helping a club stay up who will financially dwarf us next season. Nobody expected Newcastle to be above us as we had about 12 points on them

Strike against the management 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People called it a mistake at the time, helping a club stay up who will financially dwarf us next season. Nobody expected Newcastle to be above us as we had about 12 points on them

Strike against the management 

Well this is one i've always agreed with to be fair.

However, the player wanted to go, but as I said, i'd be keeping him regardless of his " feelings " and signing Digne.

It has proved to be a massive cock up given the circumstances.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well this is one i've always agreed with to be fair.

However, the player wanted to go, but as I said, i'd be keeping him regardless of his " feelings " and signing Digne.

It has proved to be a massive cock up given the circumstances.

Location was a big issue. Targett goes to Everton I dont think people would be as disappointed for example

• Like 1

It's funny all this talk of 'giving up' is only levelled at one party. Gerrard gave up very quickly too when he agreed to let him leave. Plenty of managers have refused to let players leave when they've wanted to and managed to repair relationships or keep them happy until the next transfer window. That's fine if he didn't think he'd be able to find a way to play him effectively, but Eddie Howe has so let's not pretend it isn't a shortfall. 

I'm still struggling to see what we actually gained between January and the end of the season by loaning him out, because we'd have been able to get a fee at the end of the season anyway. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

It helps that Eddie Howe knows how to set up his team. I certainly don't want people to forget his bad form, I'd prefer they remember it and try to use that brain of theirs to work out what has changed that means he has only had 1 bad game since moving clubs.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 3

On 17/04/2022 at 17:07, hippo said:

I'm sure he will see sense and return to us. All the players want to play for Stevie G don't ya know.

Well, he was one who came out and said, its great to play for him....so your assumption is way off the mark.

Looking at the Newcastle midfield....Of Joelinton, Guimares and shelvey, I would say, he has a better chance of playing ok than with us.

but I watched him against Spurs and his positional play was pants.

There is more thats happened to Newcastle than just Matt Target.

He's doing well up there and has played his part in keeping them up, an opportunity that I would not have given him, unless there was a guarantee that he would be joining them for £20m+ at the end of the season (after all they will be a  team we will be competing directly with for players and for league places next season). 

The grubby influx of money into their club and the players moves that has financed, was always going to keep them up though. Matt has impressed up there and obviously staying there will help his bank balance, if they do go ahead with signing him, rather than looking to buy someone at double the price (if only, because they can). I wish Matt well if as looks like happening he does move, but I would far prefer him to be plying his trade somewhere else. 

As for their manager, I don't see he has pulled a master stroke by keeping them up, they have thrown money at it and that has done the job. I for one, can't stand Howe's smirk and he never has a decent word for us. I suspect he will walk away with his pockets stuffed with cash before too long though, when they decide to do an upgrade on their manager, before they do a wholesale upgrade on their squad.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

As for their manager, I don't see he has pulled a master stroke by keeping them up, they have thrown money at it and that has done the job.

They've probably bought two players that we'd want anywhere near our team - Guimares, and Trippier (who's been out for months and only made 4 appearances). I don't think anyone would have been crying out for Dan Burn or Chris Wood in our team

They spent more than we did in Jan, but it's still a squad more cheaply assembled than ours, with them massively overpaying for recent signings, most of whom we wouldn't want, and they've leapfrogged us. Maybe some credit, or discredit is due to the coaches involved. 

6 minutes ago, John said:

He's doing well up there and has played his part in keeping them up, an opportunity that I would not have given him, unless there was a guarantee that he would be joining them for £20m+ at the end of the season (after all they will be a  team we will be competing directly with for players and for league places next season). 

The grubby influx of money into their club and the players moves that has financed, was always going to keep them up though. Matt has impressed up there and obviously staying there will help his bank balance, if they do go ahead with signing him, rather than looking to buy someone at double the price (if only, because they can). I wish Matt well if as looks like happening he does move, but I would far prefer him to be plying his trade somewhere else. 

As for their manager, I don't see he has pulled a master stroke by keeping them up, they have thrown money at it and that has done the job. I for one, can't stand Howe's smirk and he never has a decent word for us. I suspect he will walk away with his pockets stuffed with cash before too long though, when they decide to do an upgrade on their manager, before they do a wholesale upgrade on their squad.  

Yeah. Newcastle were likely to stay up with any manager, considering the standard of the other teams at the bottom and them being able to strenghen in January. Still think Howe has done an solid job improving players who were already there, like Joelinton, Shelvey and others, plus seems to have created a good atmosphere. 

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They've probably bought two players that we'd want anywhere near our team - Guimares, and Trippier (who's been out for months and only made 4 appearances). I don't think anyone would have been crying out for Dan Burn or Chris Wood in our team

They spent more than we did in Jan, but it's still a squad more cheaply assembled than ours, with them massively overpaying for recent signings, most of whom we wouldn't want, and they've leapfrogged us. Maybe some credit, or discredit is due to the coaches involved

22 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yeah. Newcastle were likely to stay up with any manager, considering the standard of the other teams at the bottom and them being able to strenghen in January. Still think Howe has done an solid job improving players who were already there, like Joelinton, Shelvey and others, plus seems to have created a good atmosphere

Maybe both, the coaches may deserve some credit and Howe may have improved some players and created a better atmosphere, but do I want to accept it?....;)

image.jpeg.23c59d77251d02c0aacb3146bf96cfd0.jpeg

• Like 1

It was a mistake by the club to let Matt go out on loan as it left us short if Digne got injured. Which he has.

Not going to blame any individuals, just going to hope that the club think fully about transfers in the future and don't make this same mistake again.

• Like 4

Â