Jack Butland

alreadyexists

2 years ago i would have been delighted if we got Butland. Right now i think £20m is a little overpriced.

It does feel harsh on Steer to be actively looking for a keeper considering how pivotal he was in the promotion, but in the PL a keeper can save you 10-15 points so you need to be sure they are up for it

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gillz said:

2 years ago i would have been delighted if we got Butland. Right now i think £20m is a little overpriced.

It does feel harsh on Steer to be actively looking for a keeper considering how pivotal he was in the promotion, but in the PL a keeper can save you 10-15 points so you need to be sure they are up for it

to be fair 20m isnt "that much" in PL terms, the only issue is we have so many players to buy, 20m is a bit considering we need another 100m for the rest of the team.

That aside, he's 26 and could be a very good GK for us, for literally years, so probably a very good investment. (if we can afford the outlay considering everything else we need to do this season).

If there was one thing I was certain of when it came to our summer business, it was that we wouldn't be searching for yet another goalkeeper and one of Nyland, Kalinic and Steer would be fighting for the number 1 shirt. Shows whats I know.

Saying that, I would like Butland at Villa.

Feel bad for Steer, he's been superb for us. I know there should be no room for sentimentatlity in the game but I really do think Steer is a good keeper. If Dean and the team feel Butland is better and worth the 20m, I'm behind em. I hope it's Nyland and Kalinic that go on loan/leave instead though.

Personally, I would much rather us sign Butland than a foreign keeper. Goalkeeper is going to be vital for us next season and Butland would settle in straight away and is much less of a risk that spending £15m on a Spanish/ Portuguese keeper etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

Personally, I would much rather us sign Butland than a foreign keeper. Goalkeeper is going to be vital for us next season and Butland would settle in straight away and is much less of a risk that spending £15m on a Spanish/ Portuguese keeper etc.

also, having 2-3 English keepers, means we meet the homegrown/English quota easier, so we can have more bad ass foreigners in the outfield 10 :P

10 minutes ago, KMitch said:

TBH, we need to take off the claret and blue tinted glasses when it comes to Steer.  TBH, he was extremely lucky to be in the team during our 10 win run, and in most of those games hardly had anything to do.  He also had a few dodgy moments as well and to rest our Premier League survival chances on his shoulders because he was in our team at the end of the season doesn't make sense to me.  When Steer starts getting bombarded by quality shots from Premier League teams and has a few dodgy moments, the fans will turn on him immediately and start questioning why Smith didn't get a goalkeeper this summer.  I like Steer and he seems like a hard working kid who finally got his chance, and I hope he succeeds in his career, but if Smith & Suso think there is a goalkeeper out there who is a sure thing, we should pick them up.  If they think that Keeper is Butland or Etheridge or someone else, they have my full support.  

Whilst we have these glasses off.. If they are looking to replace Kalinic already, perhaps they should have done a bit more homework before handing out a massive 5 year contract to him. It's the only questionable thing they've done so far though

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Whilst we have these glasses off.. If they are looking to replace Kalinic already, perhaps they should have done a bit more homework before handing out a massive 5 year contract to him. It's the only questionable thing they've done so far though

100%. I completely agree with this. I saw people on Twitter taking the piss out of Kalinic yesterday in a video of Wesley scoring a hat-trick past him. The same person signed them both 😂! They made it sound as though it's a new regime signing Wesley. 

I hope our scouting team do more research this summer than they did on him in January. Although, I have looked at all of the signings made from each of Suso's clubs whilst he's been Sporting Director (You can do that by checking all of the clubs he's been at and in's and out during that time) and he has made more stinkers than successes. 

• Like 1

Steer was OK when called into action last season, but let's be honest, it wasn't very often. I can safely say he is good at saving penalties, but I haven't seen him really tested to make any statements about other aspects. However, the coaching team has, so if they feel he isn't up to it I will trust their better judgement. 

6 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

100%. I completely agree with this. I saw people on Twitter taking the piss out of Kalinic yesterday in a video of Wesley scoring a hat-trick past him. The same person signed them both 😂! They made it sound as though it's a new regime signing Wesley. 

I hope our scouting team do more research this summer than they did on him in January. Although, I have looked at all of the signings made from each of Suso's clubs whilst he's been Sporting Director (You can do that by checking all of the clubs he's been at and in's and out during that time) and he has made more stinkers than successes. 

We'd been after Kalinic for a while though, regardless of who signed him. I'm not sure we'd be ready to bin him just yet, even if we do sign Butland. 3 good keepers competing for first team and bench is where we ideally want to be.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

3 good keepers competing for first team and bench is where we ideally want to be.

Surely 2 keepers and a youth keeper is enough?

can always get an emergency loan if both keepers get injured.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Surely 2 keepers and a youth keeper is enough?

can always get an emergency loan if both keepers get injured.

If we're trying to find out who the best of the bunch are then 3 in to 2 will be nice competition. Kalinic I'm guessing will be a different level of competition for Steer than a youth keeper. If Kalinic gets fit and starts performing shit hot in training and Butland has the number 1 jersey I'd reckon that would be an environment to get the absolute maximum out of Steer, No?

• Like 1

The only thing making me doubt the butland rumours, and the Phillips rumours etc, is both our signings so far have come completely out of leftfield and out of the blue.

The club are  doing a good job of keeping people off the scent, so that alone now makes me question if anything reported as "villa are going to bid for X player", is just because people actually have no idea who we are going for.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new LB, DC and DM literally appear out of nowhere :)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

Â