Famous Villa Fans

sidcow

On 22/01/2023 at 18:00, HalfTimePost said:

Just spotted this and I can’t get over it.. I have a Miles Garrett Browns top.. I’m def wearing it to the next Villa home game I can make..So happy..

like finding out PJ Harvey sang with QOTSA..

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think he was the guy there when we won the European Cup. Then Ellis took over the year after and the rest is history

Shit

He was the chairman for 4 year's sandwiched between 2 Doug Ellis stints Which councided with the greatest era in our modern history.

11 hours ago, John said:

Agreed on Tom Hanks. Nice to see him come to Villa Park, he would have been welcome anywhere but chose to come to us and fair play to him for that.

I will take your word on that David Hameron bloke, although I'm not familiar with his work;). Unlike say David Cameron (and leaving his politics out of it), as far as I'm aware Hameron doesn't have a relative who was once the chairman of our club, hasn't been to a number of our games and hasn't brought his son along with him either:)

Have you ever forgot which football team you support? Me neither.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Have you ever forgot which football team you support? Me neither.

I think it was attributed to his speech writer (probably a West Ham fan;)). He either didn't read the speech beforehand or focused upon other points that may have been made in the speech, thus missing the football comment. He was asked about it by Lorraine Kelly of all people and said, "I really can't explain what happened, you must find every now and then, some words come out of your mouth and you think where the hell did that come from? and I think I'd been past West Ham the day before, maybe that's what came...but, I can't understand it, but there we are. I don't think these are the things that will determine the election". Perhaps his mind was drifting to the garden shed that he had his mind on:)? I doubt football looms quite as large in his life, as it does in ours, but he along with Forest Gump and Mervyn King, have chosen the same football team to give their allegiance to.

Dave sheds his cares with shepherd's hut | News | The Sunday Times

Edited by John

1 hour ago, John said:

I think it was attributed to his speech writer (probably a West Ham fan;)). He either didn't read the speech beforehand or focused upon other points that may have been made in the speech, thus missing the football comment. He was asked about it by Lorraine Kelly of all people and said, "I really can't explain what happened, you must find every now and then, some words come out of your mouth and you think where the hell did that come from? and I think I'd been past West Ham the day before, maybe that's what came...but, I can't understand it, but there we are. I don't think these are the things that will determine the election". Perhaps his mind was drifting to the garden shed that he had his mind on:)? I doubt football looms quite as large in his life, as it does in ours, but he along with Forest Gump and Mervyn King, have chosen the same football team to give their allegiance to.

Dave sheds his cares with shepherd's hut | News | The Sunday Times

Mervyn King is hardcore Villa, did you ever hear him on desert Island discs 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Mervyn King is hardcore Villa, did you ever hear him on desert Island discs 

Yes agreed, I was using him as an example of someone you might not normally expect to be linked with football, as the former governor of the Bank of England. 

• Like 1

Just now, John said:

Yes agreed, I was using him as an example of someone you might not normally expect to be linked with football, as the former governor of the Bank of England. 

Gotcha 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Classic. 

Opportunist. Here's the parliamentary record that show it

Hansard

Mr. David Cameron (Witney): It is a pleasure to follow the hon. Member for Leigh (Andy Burnham), who knows a lot about his subject. Not only is he a football fan, he is quite an accomplished cricket player, as I discovered during a game this summer.

Many of those who have spoken in the debate or have written about the subject are either lawyers or football fans, but I have to confess that I am neither

• Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

Hansard

Surprised he brought the shirt but as you say, not proppa Vile, but does live in the Shires, hmmmmmmmmm

Tories' hero is football Villan | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Hansard

I'm not suggesting that he's a season ticket holder, but he has been to some of our games, probably more than some of our other "celebrity fans". He made a mistake once in saying West Ham rather than us... in fact he's probably made quite a few, but this is not about politics:).

He said about Sir William Dugdale after apologising for not answering any questions following a speech “I’ve got to go to the funeral of a much-loved relative, a man who fought at Monte Cassino, landed on the beaches of Anzio, rode a horse in the Grand National and was chairman of the world’s greatest football club, Aston Villa. I rather liked that last bit myself and I think there might just be a bit more to his Villa links than opportunism. 

image.jpeg.ffe7a542022e1e453980fc55dc539011.jpeg image.jpeg.18b8dcb7b848659ded028e9cbed74ed4.jpeg image.jpeg.4f1342edf50e9d80592255d5abab1acb.jpeg image.jpeg.ff5136ea272c605542451ba4b624b399.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Surprised he brought the shirt but as you say, not proppa Vile, but does live in the Shires, hmmmmmmmmm

Tories' hero is football Villan | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard

The club might have given it him...;) although at least he's wearing it. 

26 minutes ago, John said:

I think there might just be a bit more to his Villa links than opportunism

The difficulty I have with that is that until he was PM, he himself said he was not a football fan. Then when it became kind of a thing for politicians to have to have a team, he suddenly is a "fan". That much of a fan that he couldn't remember that he supported Villa, not West Ham! I mean come on!

A few photo opportunities do not make you a fan. I accept some fairly distant links via relative(s), but since he's disappeared after, y'know, stuffing up the Country by slacking he's got all that spare time and...no more photo ops or attendance at the odd game.

But you're a much kinder person than me, John.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

The difficulty I have with that is that until he was PM, he himself said he was not a football fan. Then when it became kind of a thing for politicians to have to have a team, he suddenly is a "fan". That much of a fan that he couldn't remember that he supported Villa, not West Ham! I mean come on!

A few photo opportunities do not make you a fan. I accept some fairly distant links via relative(s), but since he's disappeared after, y'know, stuffing up the Country by slacking he's got all that spare time and...no more photo ops or attendance at the odd game.

But you're a much kinder person than me, John.

Guilty, Guilty as charged. - Austin Powers Drink - Meme Generator :D

Â