Famous Villa Fans

sidcow

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

He was the chairman for 4 year's sandwiched between 2 Doug Ellis stints Which councided with the greatest era in our modern history.

So on that trajectory we'd be like Real Madrid now. Instead of blowing our chance to cement ourselves at the top all through the 80's and 90'e/s through chronic underinvestment 

With someone like Cameron, it seems like a kind of a damned if you ... sort of thing, no doubt coloured by politics, too. There's no way he can ever be accepted into the fold, and why should that be his goal, anyway?

But a reasonable former PM with a demonstrated history of being a toff/chancer/opportunist etc. and situational Villa fan should be perfectly willing to soak up the supporter hate thrown his way.

In a way, it's kind of a compliment being paid him. The big problem is, I don't think he would do that. Which sort of proves that he's really what everyone says. 

• 3 months later...
On 20/02/2023 at 16:14, John said:

I'm not suggesting that he's a season ticket holder, but he has been to some of our games, probably more than some of our other "celebrity fans". He made a mistake once in saying West Ham rather than us... in fact he's probably made quite a few, but this is not about politics:).

He said about Sir William Dugdale after apologising for not answering any questions following a speech “I’ve got to go to the funeral of a much-loved relative, a man who fought at Monte Cassino, landed on the beaches of Anzio, rode a horse in the Grand National and was chairman of the world’s greatest football club, Aston Villa. I rather liked that last bit myself and I think there might just be a bit more to his Villa links than opportunism. 

image.jpeg.ffe7a542022e1e453980fc55dc539011.jpeg image.jpeg.18b8dcb7b848659ded028e9cbed74ed4.jpeg image.jpeg.4f1342edf50e9d80592255d5abab1acb.jpeg image.jpeg.ff5136ea272c605542451ba4b624b399.jpeg

I'm no Tory apologist but there are photos somewhere of him was a nipper with Dugdale in the directors box. He is is definitely Villa. I think the Spam slip up is what comes with the pressure of being PM.

As much as I'd love to say otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

I'm no Tory apologist but there are photos somewhere of him was a nipper with Dugdale in the directors box. He is is definitely Villa. I think the Spam slip up is what comes with the pressure of being PM.

As much as I'd love to say otherwise.

I get the impression that he has ties to Villa so says he supports us but isn’t really into football.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Met Nige a few times. I think but obviously it's just my opinion, having known a few people like that he's a nice but on the edge bloke. I think, and again my own views, that sadly years of class A mixed with being in the spectrum isn't the best mix. I suspect ADHD as well. Nice bloke though.

Edited by stewiek2

On 20/02/2023 at 16:45, blandy said:

...no more photo ops or attendance at the odd game.

But you're a much kinder person than me, John.

He was at the play off final v Derby and celebrating at the end when we won

But I guess he was there for the photo op :) 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I get the impression that he has ties to Villa so says he supports us but isn’t really into football.

That's absolutely it. Uncle was chairman, otherwise, he doesn't spend his weekends tracking the results. 

On 30/05/2023 at 16:28, Vive_La_Villa said:

Met Nigel Kennedy on Sunday. I didn’t know who he was until somebody mentioned it. Lovely bloke.

Always remember when he was a guest of Pobs

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Knew I’d seen him somewhere before !

It was quite bizarre for a kids show as he told Pob he used to want to throw darts at the opposition goalkeeper, bonkers really 

• Haha 1

On 30/05/2023 at 16:28, Vive_La_Villa said:

Met Nigel Kennedy on Sunday. I didn’t know who he was until somebody mentioned it. Lovely bloke.

Used to see him on the reg in the Holte End when it was standing.  He was a left side boy who'd usually be underneath the scoreboard near the corner flag where it met the Trinity Road stand.  This was at the height of his fame when he had that Jag with the crazy paint job. 

• Like 2

Â