Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

No it is a thrashing, if a team has comfortably or routinely beaten you by three goals without reply then that's a thrashing. City might do it to a lot of teams, but it's still a thrashing, and it's certainly not 'ridiculous' 'silly' or 'facetious' to suggest as such...

Here I google Villa thrashed and this is the first result that comes up

' Aston Villa 0-3 Swansea: Villa thrashed by Swans Swansea City ease past Villa in the all-Championship clash to go through to the next round of the FA Cup.'

It's not as if I'm just making it up, that scoreline is regulary reffered to as a thrashing, you  only have to google the words "3-0" and "thrashing" to see that. Just because some were expecting us to lose by more (and I thought it was a possibility) doesn't mean to say the scoreline we did end up with wasn't an heavy defeat. I mean I bet if the BBC's report on the match had the headline 'City thrash Villa', then no one would have said anything... because they wouldn't be wrong.

I mean it depends on the context of the game. You could get thrashed but still only lose like 2-0. Happened to us plenty of times. Spurs 2012 comes to mind and maybe Brentford 2017. But purely looking at the result without seeing the game, 3-0 isn't a thrashing. 

It's arguing semantics really because at the end of the day, we didn't get thrashed at the Etihad, scorelines or performance-wise. 

• Like 1

Sorry but scoreline wise we did get thrashed, the context of the game was that it was a premier league side facing another premier league side. If City had have beaten a league two side by the same scoreline the league two side might come out of thinking they got off lightly, but when it's between to sides in the same division it isn't ridiculous to call 3-0 a thrashing, City might beat a lot of teams by the same scoreline or more, but even so it's still a thrashing. The funny thing is withouth realising it,  the ones saying that a 3-0 scoreline isn't a thrashing are the ones who are being ultra negative, and probably disrespectful to what Smith has built, we're now good enough where we should feel aggrieved when we lose by such scorelines, it's testament to the good job that Smith has done that we can feel like we're capable of doing better, and feel disappointed that we haven't, whereas on the other hand if you're just dismissive of results like these and act like it's perfectly okay to lose by such scorelines to City, then I think that's rather negative.

If say Leeds beat small heath by three goals to nil, and there was a discussion on their forum as to whether they'd been thrashed or not, with most of them saying that they weren't. people on here would be laughing at them and calling them deluded

• Haha 1

Just noticed that both Wolves and Man Utd are away today, less confident now of them getting a result, especially Wolves after playing in midweek, Utd should be capable of beating Norwich, but you can't be sure with them at the moment. Maybe a draw in the Wolves game wouldn't be the end of the world as it would keep us in touching distance of Wolves, just as long as Newcastle don't win.

They were very lucky last year and the season before with injuries, outside of Jiménez, Boly is probably the player they'd miss the most, if out for a lenghty period of time, as by all accounts Coady and Bennett haven't been playing anywhere near as well this year, and the youngster they've got on loan from Real Madrid is also drawing a lot criticism.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

3-0 is not a thrashing, sorry. A comfortable win, a routine win sure, but never a thrashing.

3 nil at home to a mid table is a thrashing. Away to the double league champions that has probably lost 2 games at home at most in maybe 3 seasons isnt

• Like 3

Yes it is, and to say it isn't is putting your own team down. Plus whether or not it's a thrashing isn't measured by the level of the opposition, or how likely the score was to happen beforehand. If Man City were to beat a championship club 3-0 that could still be referred to as a thrashing and it wouldn't be wrong. It's not even as if I'm just saying it, there are countless examples of teams losing 3-0 and it being reported as a 'thrashing'.

Given that Wolves are away, have just lost one of their most important players for months to injury, and played in Europe just a few days away, then a draw might not be a bad result for us. Keeps Newcastle behind us, and keeps us within in touching distance of Wolves, who could struggle themselve now Boly is out for a while.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I mean it depends on the context of the game. You could get thrashed but still only lose like 2-0. Happened to us plenty of times. Spurs 2012 comes to mind and maybe Brentford 2017. But purely looking at the result without seeing the game, 3-0 isn't a thrashing. 

It's arguing semantics really because at the end of the day, we didn't get thrashed at the Etihad, scorelines or performance-wise. 

We played very well in the first half and were denied a clear penalty, had we rightly got that penalty and scored it, things would have been more interesting.

All that work was undone early in the second half when we gave away a really poor goal and we never recovered. Overall it wasn't a terrible performance and hardly a thrashing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, useless said:

Given that Wolves are away, have just lost one of their most important players for months to injury, and played in Europe just a few days away, then a draw might not be a bad result for us. Keeps Newcastle behind us, and keeps us within in touching distance of Wolves, who could struggle themselve now Boly is out for a while.

Save for an injury crisis Wolves won't be relegation contenders this season but Newcastle will. A Wolves win is the best result for us.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, useless said:

Losing three nil is definitely a thrashing.

It is in the sense that what you know is the tabloids reporting football results. 2-0 is probably a demolition and 1-0 is probably a hammering. 

Any way, wouldn't a thrashing indicate that you weren't at the races at all? Now City are a better team than us, but we could easily had a couple of goals first half, and they got VAR help to get that scoreline. Not sure this is what anyone would call a thrashing at the pub. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1