Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, useless said:

A bad day for us overall, which is why we can't just write off winnable games otherwise on days like these they come back to haunt us. Things will look a lot better if Wolves and Man Utd can beat Newcastle and Norwich tomorrow.

How is it bad?

You were on here a few weeks back saying other teams would be happy with us not beating West Ham in a winnable home game so surely Watford not beating Sheffield or Bournemouth in their last two homes is pretty bad for them in the long run. Don't forget they have to make up 8 points on us from now until May.

Everton messing up another winnable away game, they remind me of us in 10/11, o.k team on paper but not great defensively and awful away for most of that year. We can certainly finish above them this season.

• Like 1

We were at home against West Ham and played a quarter of the match against ten men, most teams would take advantage of that scenario and take three points, but at the time people were talking as if West Ham were top six contenders or something and we should be grateful for a draw, even under the circumstances. Sheffield United getting a point against them away from home and against ten men is a different scenario and bad result for us, no matter which way one trys to spin it, as it'a a relegation rival gaining a point on us, same with Watford. Everton I think will be fine as far as relegation is concerned.

Today had very little bearing on our chances. Just to put it into context, these are Man City's home results so far this season:

• 2-2 Spurs
  • 4-0 Brighton
  • 8-0 Watford
  • 0-2 Wolves
  • 3-0 Villa

The going rate for a "relegation contender" (I'm not including Wolves in that, who will finish mid-table this season) is you take one up the arse.

We've had a -3 goal difference hit, not too many yellow cards, and only one minor injury. It could have been a lot worse. There's a psychological pain in that 8-0 result for Watford that our players won't be feeling next weekend.

I know this is all sacrilege for a football fan to say, and especially for a Villa fan who remembers when we used to comfortable beat Man City, but we need to be realistic about our chances today. The Norwich result was a complete aberration that involved all the stars aligning in front of a home crowd, and Wolves got pretty lucky as well.

I think we'll stay up because we're better than Newcastle, Norwich, and one of Southampton, Watford or Sheffield Utd (Wilder is a brilliant manager, but I think they'll drop off massively as injuries and suspensions hit).

43 minutes ago, useless said:

We were at home against West Ham and played a quarter of the match against ten men, most teams would take advantage of that scenario and take three points, but at the time people were talking as if West Ham were top six contenders or something and we should be grateful for a draw, even under the circumstances. Sheffield United getting a point against them away from home and against ten men is a different scenario and bad result for us, no matter which way one trys to spin it, as it'a a relegation rival gaining a point on us, same with Watford. Everton I think will be fine as far as relegation is concerned.

O.K fair enough West Ham have dipped since that game but essentially it's still criticising us for not winning a winnable home game (I'd say Burnley was worse in that respect given we lead twice) yet not saying the same about Watford.

Watford have the most to do of any team in the league to stay up, 0-0s at home aren't going to be useful for much longer. They need to win ten out of their last 28 to stand a chance of staying up so very soon it will be close to 50% ratio needed.

We do have a 7 point advantage over them so our path to 40 points allows more draws at home than them.

I think Sheffield United will stay up pretty comfortably so I don't factor in them picking up points as terrible news for us. They could finish 12th and we could finish 13th for instance.

Anyway Chelsea at home next up for Watford. Way this season has gone they'll probably play lights out and win 3-0.

I have no problems with losing 3-0 to City. It wasn't a bad team performance at all. We had some individual shockers like Trez and Wesley, but not a bad day.

City simply are light years ahead of us. They also are in a position to bring on Aguero and we are bringing on Davis. 

In fact the worst bit about today, except Wesley sucking, was our vomit green shirt. Disgusting. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I gave Sheffield United no chance before the start of the season and i still think their squad is bang average.

Just highlights what an incredible job Wilder is doing. I take my hat off for them.

Their 3-5-2 is working a treat as I suspected it would.

Clubs in premier league always seem to take ages to try to counter surprise teams so Sheffield will probably find things much harder next season as previous surprise packages did.

Can't see them being in danger, they don't lose away from home and also can grind out wins at home so that combination is usually comfortable mid table.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have no problems with losing 3-0 to City. It wasn't a bad team performance at all. We had some individual shockers like Trez and Wesley, but not a bad day.

City simply are light years ahead of us. They also are in a position to bring on Aguero and we are bringing on Davis. 

In fact the worst bit about today, except Wesley sucking, was our vomit green shirt. Disgusting. 

it's an awful kit, why couldn't we have just played in black?

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well we're Villa. That's the type of records we tend to be breaking. 

I just don't see it happening. We don't look like a relegation team. Even today against City we didn't look like a team likely to be relegated.

The biggest risks are injuries to Grealish or Mings, but I'm starting to think that we could probably pick up points with them out of the team. We'd obviously be poorer without them, but I think we'd have a fighting chance against any of the bottom 10.

Still, it's a long season, and no team outside the Big 6 or 7 is really safe yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I find it odd that we have fans who are reacting on a game by game basis as to whether we are relatively ok or in some bother.

At the end of the season maybe less than 10 points could separate the bottom 10 Clubs in the League. 
Everyone will stay within touching distance of the rest for ages yet. 

Very very little will become clear, for most Clubs, until the Spring. It certainly means individual Matchdays will not be definitive.

Add to that, we’ve played Man City Away, which is right up there with the most irrelevant fixtures we will play, I can’t see why there should be any concerns at all about the kind of day it’s been.

I agree. I'm amazed by some of the post-City game judgments on whether our players are good enough for this relegation battle.

Apparently Engels, Gulbert, McGinn and Mings are now suffering losses of form, Wesley (4 goals in 10 games) isn't good enough, Hourihane should never be dropped because we always lose when we drop him... VT is a superb source of kneejerkitis.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I agree. I'm amazed by some of the post-City game judgments on whether our players are good enough for this relegation battle.

Apparently Engels, Gulbert, McGinn and Mings are now suffering losses of form, Wesley (4 goals in 10 games) isn't good enough, Hourihane should never be dropped because we always lose when we drop him... VT is a superb source of kneejerkitis.

Yup, some of the Match and Player thread comments are rather, erm, “ ordinary”, as Shane Warne would say. To describe them more vividly might require non approved words !

• Like 1

People are allowed to be disappointed after we've been thrashed in a game, it's not a cult where no one is allowed to be negative. Sometimes we'll have bad days where we lose and all our relegation rivals pick up points, and the reactions will reflect that.