Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That is indeed very strange. Checked worldofmeters just now and it says 111

Worldofmeters has added the extra deaths to the previous coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ don't add it so theres a manipulation of figures 

18 minutes ago, wedge said:

Me too, I really like Nyland but Reina is world class and has had an unbelievable career, we're lucky to have someone with his pedigree in the squad considering our position. Apart from one poor decision against Leicester in our last outing he's been brilliant, his distribution is the best of any Villa keeper I've seen. With some Villa fans its like - if a player makes one mistake they should never play for us again, with that logic we wouldn't be able to field a team!

He really hasn't he had one good game and has made several errors in other games  which have cost goals. I don't trust him. I would much rather have Nyland

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So maybe my very defensive idea

................................Nyland.............................

Guilbert..........Engels........Mings.........Hause

Elmo.............McGinn.......Grealish.......Targett

....................Samatta........Davis........................

Might be a good idea.  Still the defence plus two additional defensive wings but who can also cross a good ball.  You have the additional height of Hause, although his defensive work leaves a lot to be desired but he is a wall of brute force in the box, which takes the pressure of Mings havings to head everything.  Samatta gets wing service to get his head on.  Davis can hold the ball up so Samatta and Grealish can feed off.  Grealish isnt stuck on the wing.  McGinn's energy in midfield along with defensiveness of Elmo and Targett if Grealish gets caught too far upfield after a great run, which is normally a problem because Trez/El Ghazi is also up there.  If Guilbert is out of position on a run, then Elmo can can fill in.

Oh how I'm convincing myself this is a good idea.  Please somebody put me back in my place and tell me I'm wrong?

Sorry I think theres a flaw in that formation. You'd be asking Elmo and Taggard to tuck inside to cover McGinn and Grealish when they bomb forward.  I'd play  4 at the back. Two defensive midfielders plus Mginn and Grealish. Something like a 4-2-3-1

Perhaps utilising wide forwards

------------------Nyland/Steer

Guilbert----Engels-----Mings----Targett

----------------------Nakamba

----------McGinn-------------Grealish

El Ghazi--------------------------------Samatta

-------------------------Davis

Alternatively Samatta up top with Grealish wide and Luiz/Hourihane in the middle. The idea being that the wide players come into the box when the ball is getting towards by-line on the other flank.

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sorry I think theres a flaw in that formation. You'd be asking Elmo and Taggard to tuck inside to cover McGinn and Grealish when they bomb forward.  I'd play  4 at the back. Two defensive midfielders plus Mginn and Grealish. Something like a 4-2-3-1

There’s been a mu’der

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I'd still go for Reina ahead of Nyland.

For all Nyland's decent cup games we are forgetting his howler against Citeh where he let in 6 goals. 2 of them slipped past his near post, unforgivable of a keeper at this level.

I don't know. Reina was horrendous in the last matches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

The Forest 5-5 game is the worst performance of a keeper i've ever seen in a Villa shirt.

I don't trust Nyland.

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'm not convinced.  I'd tell McGinn to hold his runs going forwards to complete the season because of our defensive frailties and lack of other midfield options.  I think your formation leaves us too exposed on the wings and Guilbert and Targett arent good enough defensively on their own especially in some of the games we have coming up. 

With an additional player in the forward line of Davis, then we allow Jack to float with Davis and Samatta as their targets and Elmo and Targett to makes crosses when they can if they find a bit of space but on the whole the back four plus Targett, Elmo and McGinn are our 1st defensive line before the back four, giving us width and support for our vulnerable for our wings and then McGinn in the middle with the support of Grealish if he isnt caught upfield.

I feel your formation is too narrow and given our fullbacks arent that strong it leaves our central defence too exposed.

I think Reina would've been dropped for the Chelsea game. Horrendous error at Leicester considering we were only 5 minutes from getting in at 0-0.

Probably Nyland although I don't think DS has ever really been convinced by him despite his better performances this year.

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

ignore me no sleep for days

Bless you mate. Lack of sleep is awful, I remember when my son was born, I didn’t sleep more than 2 hours in a go for about 5 weeks... hard times

Edited by alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The Forest 5-5 game is the worst performance of a keeper i've ever seen in a Villa shirt.

I don't trust Nyland.

I don't think anyone "really" trusts him. Just hope.

But I don't trust Reina either. And I don't believe his heart is in it. Nyland's motivation must be high.

36 minutes ago, Dale said:

Perhaps utilising wide forwards

------------------Nyland/Steer

Guilbert----Engels-----Mings----Targett

----------------------Nakamba

----------McGinn-------------Grealish

El Ghazi--------------------------------Samatta

-------------------------Davis

Alternatively Samatta up top with Grealish wide and Luiz/Hourihane in the middle. The idea being that the wide players come into the box when the ball is getting towards by-line on the other flank.

Samatta definitely isn’t a wide forward, not for me. I don’t think we have good enough wide forwards to go with 3 at the top. I think we need to alter our attacking mindset and be more solid in the middle and up front. That eases the pressure on an overburdened backline. We have players capable of winning games in Grealish and McGinn, keep it solid around them and we can nick goals and games. We have to build on some clean sheets IMO. Too often we’ve steamed in and found ourselves a goal or two down in the 1st half, we must create a focus on firstly being hard to beat. That requires a coaching alteration to our tactics and personnel. 

34 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Reina had 2 or 3 poor games, cost us goals. I much prefer his distribution over Nyland, but we have to somehow negate individual errors as much as possible. Both GKs have their faults, I just think Nyland has/was solid in the cup final and other games he played, the City defeat aside. 

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Samatta definitely isn’t a wide forward, not for me. I don’t think we have good enough wide forwards to go with 3 at the top. I think we need to alter our attacking mindset and be more solid in the middle and up front. That eases the pressure on an overburdened backline. We have players capable of winning games in Grealish and McGinn, keep it solid around them and we can nick goals and games. We have to build on some clean sheets IMO. Too often we’ve steamed in and found ourselves a goal or two down in the 1st half, we must create a focus on firstly being hard to beat. That requires a coaching alteration to our tactics and personnel. 

I'd agree on Samatta FWIW and would likely not carry Davis in a formation but was trying to stick with some of the themes from the previous page. I think El Ghazi would definitely work in that sort of position and on occasion we were successful with Weimann/Gabby in those spots. Weimann's work rate would be most welcome at the moment!

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

I'd agree on Samatta FWIW and would likely not carry Davis in a formation but was trying to stick with some of the themes from the previous page. I think El Ghazi would definitely work in that sort of position and on occasion we were successful with Weimann/Gabby in those spots. Weimann's work rate would be most welcome at the moment!

From what I’ve seen of Vassilev, he reminds me a little of Weimann. Vassilev would be on the bench for me, as would Ramsey. Their youthful exuberance and energy would help us, I’m sure. Also gives us a couple of wildcards that the opposition aren’t too aware of. Without crowds in stadiums this is as good a time as any to get them involved 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wedge said:

Me too, I really like Nyland but Reina is world class and has had an unbelievable career, we're lucky to have someone with his pedigree in the squad considering our position. Apart from one poor decision against Leicester in our last outing he's been brilliant, his distribution is the best of any Villa keeper I've seen. With some Villa fans its like - if a player makes one mistake they should never play for us again, with that logic we wouldn't be able to field a team!

Reina is a liability, aside from the howler at Leicester he was poor against Bournemouth and Saints. His distribution is questionable at best, he’s well past his prime. 
Nyland and Steer should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

He really hasn't he had one good game and has made several errors in other games  which have cost goals. I don't trust him. I would much rather have Nyland

So Nyland has never made errors then? Wasn't long ago Villa fans were hating on him as well which I thought was unfair. Just goes to show the knee-jerk nature of our fanbase. Every player is a human being who makes mistakes. Like I said if you were never going to play a Villa player again because they've made a mistake we wouldn't be able to field a team!

1 minute ago, Robbie09 said:

Reina is a liability, aside from the howler at Leicester he was poor against Bournemouth and Saints. His distribution is questionable at best, he’s well past his prime. 
Nyland and Steer should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

I presume you're one of those fans who screams 'get rid of it!' and absolutely cacks themselves every time he looks to do something other than just lump it aimlessly forward? It's embarrassing.

Just now, wedge said:

I presume you're one of those fans who screams 'get rid of it!' and absolutely cacks themselves every time he looks to do something other than just lump it aimlessly forward? It's embarrassing.

You assume wrong, and having witnessed every Reina performance since he joined us I’m happy in my opinion of his performances. Several times against Saints he played hospital balls to both full backs.

I’d say your assumption that I’d prefer a keeper to just lump it forward is embarrassing.