Hobbies

Chindie

We've had an electric guitar in the house for a few years and I've decided it's something I want to learn how to play.  I've searched on YouTube for beginners lessons but not really found anything that really does start at the beginning.  Anyone know if any channels they'd recommend to get me started?

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

We've had an electric guitar in the house for a few years and I've decided it's something I want to learn how to play.  I've searched on YouTube for beginners lessons but not really found anything that really does start at the beginning.  Anyone know if any channels they'd recommend to get me started?

https://youtu.be/2FTndcu891g

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I was in the market for either a guitar or a gun...I went with guitar. 

CztUwRL.jpg

Nice. Always fancied a Strat. I think I'd go for three single coils and a hardtail, though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

As an avid (sort of) record buyer, I'm astounded at some of the shipping prices currently quoted on Discogs.

I won't touch them with a bargepole if they ask for more than £4.50, but lately I've seen sellers charging £5.50, £5.95, £6.75...and today an outrageous ten quid.

it's as if they think we don't know what the costs are. I recently sent a box set of four LPs to a mate up in Bolton for £2.85, which has just increased to £2.99.

Even factoring in the sellers costs of mailers it's still a complete rip off.

Ebay sellers seems to be much better for shipping costs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

It's an amazing feeling when things start to suddenly click. 

You sure you haven't started tap dancing? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Something today has brought me so much joy, my wife will care a little, my mates wont care at all, but I have mentioned on here that I collect postcards, specific postcards, of Butlins Skegness. The holy grail is the year it opened, 1936. Today I had one arrive and its 1936. This makes me incredibly happy and I suspect its all downhill from here.

My first reaction was to laugh, but if it makes you happy, fair play!

What started this descent into madness?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My first reaction was to laugh, but if it makes you happy, fair play!

What started this descent into madness?

Everyone has a thing right? Mine takes up minimal room, £10 is considered eye wateringly high, so it’s a fairly cheap hobby. It started as I have an interest in holiday camps but I needed to narrow it down. As I worked and lived at Skegness, that was the one I decided on. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It started as I have an interest in prison camps but I needed to narrow it down. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

More obscene talent. Although this bloke is Japanese so in the modelling scene that's basically like cheating.

Anywho... This is the latest video in a series where the guy is making a 1/12 scale Mustang. It's an off the shelf kit by Revell and you make a decent if not amazing big scale modern Mustang. That wasn't enough for this bloke. He wants a custom Mustang. 

The doors on the model don't open, so he modifies it to have opening doors. But not just opening doors, he alters the entire door shape and the angle of the opening.

He wants a kind of race modified car, so he makes a wide body kit with massive side skirts and arches and vents from scratch with loads of styrene and putty. 

And so on.

On this video though, he makes seat belts. Car modellers do this a lot, it's an easy add on to improve the details on the interior. But they buy a kit to do it. This bloke does it from scratch. The little buckles and catches? He literally cuts them from a metal sheet. He cuts down the actual belts from a much larger ribbon and paints them. And then for the hell of it he makes custom floor mats (and that's probably the only thing he does wrong here imo, the texture material he uses is too course, he needed a finer substance). Oh and he uses an airbrush funny. But **** it the whole thing is mental. Ridiculous talent.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Bought a set of 6 posted postcards via ebay, they were dated from 1938 (postcards were manufactured in 1937) and it turned out the 6 were sent on successive days, from the same people, to the same people and is a great record of a holiday in September 1938. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Bought a set of 6 posted postcards via ebay, they were dated from 1938 (postcards were manufactured in 1937) and it turned out the 6 were sent on successive days, from the same people, to the same people and is a great record of a holiday in September 1938. 

Did the seller send them to you one by one on successive days? That would've been **** cool as ****.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Do you often get outbid?

I’ve got 3 friends (no, really) and they are all in to the same stuff and they often have to check that they aren’t bidding against each other when some item starts to get pricey. When some Barry Town vs Ifracombe single page programme for the 1976 Plumbers Regional Challenge Cup suddenly rockets up to £5. They have to check are they bidding each other, or some sad guy on the spectrum over in Ilfracombe.

Side story - they were genuinely shocked earlier this season when I dropped in to conversation that once I’ve read a programme, I generally stick them in the recycling. Fascinating to be facing three blokes that all developed a facial tick at exactly the same time when I said that.

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Do you often get outbid?

I’ve got 3 friends (no, really) and they are all in to the same stuff and they often have to check that they aren’t bidding against each other when some item starts to get pricey. When some Barry Town vs Ifracombe single page programme for the 1976 Plumbers Regional Challenge Cup suddenly rockets up to £5. They have to check are they bidding each other, or some sad guy on the spectrum over in Ilfracombe.

Side story - they were genuinely shocked earlier this season when I dropped in to conversation that once I’ve read a programme, I generally stick them in the recycling. Fascinating to be facing three blokes that all developed a facial tick at exactly the same time when I said that.

I do, there is one person I know that will bid for the early ones, pre war, but he isn't strictly Skegness whereas I am. I know him as we have exchanged notes, but on the whole if its posted and pre war, there will be a low level bidding war. These 6 were a bargain, around the 8.50 mark, separately they would be around £4 each, I was prepared to go much higher, at least £12, I know crazy. 1936 is THE year, I have an unposted card from that year, but if one turns up posted then I will probably pay whatever it takes. My rival has one already.

As a sidenote, for dating postcards, most seaside postcards up to 1963 were produced by a company called Valentine and they all have a serial number and depending on that serial number I know which year the card was produced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Bought a set of 6 posted postcards via ebay, they were dated from 1938 (postcards were manufactured in 1937) and it turned out the 6 were sent on successive days, from the same people, to the same people and is a great record of a holiday in September 1938

Time of the Sudetenlandland Crisis/Munich Agreement - 'Peace in Our Time' and all that. Then, as now, when a Tory PM says something, safer to assume the opposite it true. Everybody knew war was coming. 

• Like 1

Â