The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

I see the Daily Express lambasted the evil BBC for showing the Wessex kids looking bored at the Palace gig. If the cameras hadn't shown them they'd have attacked them for that. Scumbags. 

• 1 month later...

The response to the Panorama investigation into unlawful SAS killings is truly terrifying.

It still blows my mind such a large part of the population are so stupid and being joined in droves by the morally bereft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The response to the Panorama investigation into unlawful SAS killings is truly terrifying.

It still blows my mind such a large part of the population are so stupid and being joined in droves by the morally bereft.

What happened?

35 minutes ago, Rolta said:

What happened?

SAS unit repeatedly killed Afghan detainees, BBC finds

SAS operatives in Afghanistan repeatedly killed detainees and unarmed men in suspicious circumstances, according to a BBC investigation.

Newly obtained military reports suggest that one unit may have unlawfully killed 54 people in one six-month tour.

The BBC found evidence suggesting the former head of special forces failed to pass on evidence to a murder inquiry.

The Ministry of Defence said British troops "served with courage and professionalism in Afghanistan".

The BBC understands that General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, the former head of UK Special Forces, was briefed about the alleged unlawful killings but did not pass on the evidence to the Royal Military Police, even after the RMP began a murder investigation into the SAS squadron.

General Carleton-Smith, who went on to become head of the Army before stepping down last month, declined to comment for this story.

BBC Panorama analysed hundreds of pages of SAS operational accounts, including reports covering more than a dozen "kill or capture" raids carried out by one SAS squadron in Helmand in 2010/11.

Individuals who served with the SAS squadron on that deployment told the BBC they witnessed the SAS operatives kill unarmed people during night raids.

They also said they saw the operatives using so-called "drop weapons" - AK-47s planted at a scene to justify the killing of an unarmed person.

Several people who served with special forces said that SAS squadrons were competing with each other to get the most kills, and that the squadron scrutinised by the BBC was trying to achieve a higher body count than the one it had replaced.

Internal emails show that officers at the highest levels of special forces were aware there was concern over possible unlawful killings, but failed to report the suspicions to military police despite a legal obligation to do so.

The Ministry of Defence said it could not comment on specific allegations, but that declining to comment should not be taken as acceptance of the allegations' factual accuracy.

An MOD spokesperson said that British forces "served with courage and professionalism" in Afghanistan and were held to the "highest standards".

I did collect some of the more ridiculous replies to post and my phone decided to wipe them, so I can't really be bothered to try again. Just take a scroll through. It's quite hard to tell people from bot from parody.

• Like 1

Was due to air tonight, but it looks like it has been pushed back after the Uber stuff came out.

The really sad thing for me is I know a number of people who are/were very senior in the forces and they would want no stone left unturned if there was a hint of this going on, yet these idiots online think it's sacrilege to hold anything British to account.

I’d like to give a special shout out to BBC Radio 4’s Anita Anand.

Privately educated, a BA from Kings College and been doing journalism for about 20 years.

Cut a guy off today who was suggesting the govt needs to take climate change more seriously and has missed years of opportunity to get people’s houses insulated.

She cut him off because right now we are talking about the heat, not the cold.

He replied that insulation works ways, keeping heat or cold out.

She replied that he was being ‘sneeky’.

We are **** doomed.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Robbie Gibb was her boss for a while. He was the head of all BBC political programming and output. He was in charge of impartiality.

He is the brother of a tory MP.

He was knighted by Theresa May.

He left the BBC to become head of communications at… 10 Downing Street.

Nothing to see here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Robbie Gibb was her boss for a while. He was the head of all BBC political programming and output. He was in charge of impartiality.

He is the brother of a tory MP.

He was knighted by Theresa May.

He left the BBC to become head of communications at… 10 Downing Street.

Nothing to see here.

There’s a few things in there, I think.

Being the brother of an MP shouldn’t be a barrier to him having that job.

Nor should being sworded by Queenie.

Nor for that matter should a person’s voting preferences. None of that stuff ought to be a barrier to getting the role, if the person is a competent and capable and independent performer.

The problem is that not only does it look like those were the reasons for getting him the job, but his performance in the job tends to back up that impression.  And it’s not just the BBC the tories have planted and favoured their people. It’s everywhere.  And it’s quite tactically deliberate to rig things in their favour. Very Trumpian.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

There’s a few things in there, I think.

Being the brother of an MP shouldn’t be a barrier to him having that job.

Nor should being sworded by Queenie.

Nor for that matter should a person’s voting preferences. None of that stuff ought to be a barrier to getting the role, if the person is a competent and capable and independent performer.

The problem is that not only does it look like those were the reasons for getting him the job, but his performance in the job tends to back up that impression.  And it’s not just the BBC the tories have planted and favoured their people. It’s everywhere.  And it’s quite tactically deliberate to rig things in their favour. Very Trumpian.

Yep it’s to be expected that media elites overlap with political elites. Political journalists have always taken roles in Westminster - Alastair Campbell, Seumas Milne, etc show that it isn’t exclusively a Tory thing.

What’s concerning is the way the Tories went to war with the BBC and tried to plant loyalists in the setup at the highest level to create a culture of fear (aka “balance”) designed to keep people like Rupert Murdoch and Paul Dacre happy, and limit criticism of the government.

So yes there’s nothing wrong with Robbie Gibb’s brother being a Tory MP, and there’s nothing wrong with him having political views. He produced the Daily Politics for a long time, so he could legitimately be seen as a BBC man with a good understanding of political journalism. It’s the broader narrative that bothers me - cutting funding, cutting influence, stifling expert criticism and creating pseudo-balance where non experts with bizarre views are given mainstream credibility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

designed to keep people like Rupert Murdoch and Paul Dacre happy

Worse than that, they (Bunter) have twice tried to appoint Dacre to be boss of OFCOM.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted not too long ago in the Rubbish claims to fame thread that Martine Croxall, a BBC news reader, is my second cousin once removed. 

She's just been taken off air while an investigation is undertaken for asking if she was 'allowed to be this gleeful' on air, after news broke of Johnson not running for PM. 

Good ol' Cuz.

Edited by hogso

33 minutes ago, hogso said:

I posted not too long ago in the Rubbish claims to fame thread that Martine Croxall, a BBC news reader, is my second cousin once removed. 

She's just been taken off air while an investigation is undertaken for asking if she was 'allowed to be this gleeful' on air, after news broke of Johnson not running for PM. 

Good ol' Cuz.

She doesn't say she's gleeful because Johnson has withdrawn

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

She doesn't say she's gleeful because Johnson has withdrawn

Quite right; she potentially referred to Johnson, hence the investigation. 

She's made some reference to the context of what she said, so I imagine the intent was to convey her excitement of a developing story. 

I can certainly see why some viewers would see it the other way, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

The BBC has said comments by the news presenter Martine Croxall breached its rules on impartiality.

The remarks were made during the News Channel's newspaper review on 23 October, soon after Boris Johnson said he wouldn't stand to be Tory leader.

Her "remarks and reactions... caused a significant risk the audience could believe opinions were being expressed on the Conservative leadership contest," the BBC said.

BBC News

Cuz is back on TV today.

• Like 1

BBC spends months investigating abuse of politicians online, produces report, turns out said investigation is catastrophically stupid.

The criteria for abuse they've used is laughable as well - calling someone a Tory is considered abuse, use of swearing regardless of context is abuse... And crucially the entire thing is undermined because it basically assumes all things happen in a vacuum - therefore if a politician said 'I'm down with starving the poor and that' and got the correct response of 'that's evil' that would be considered abusive.

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

BBC spends months investigating abuse of politicians online, produces report, turns out said investigation is catastrophically stupid.

The criteria for abuse they've used is laughable as well - calling someone a Tory is considered abuse, use of swearing regardless of context is abuse... And crucially the entire thing is undermined because it basically assumes all things happen in a vacuum - therefore if a politician said 'I'm down with starving the poor and that' and got the correct response of 'that's evil' that would be considered abusive.

When I heard the report on the news this morning and how it said females were more likely to be abused. My first reaction was, did they take Dianne Abbott out of the equation because her figures alone will totally skew the analysis?

I'm not condoning people abusing her but as she, the individual, is recognised to be the most abused UK politician by an enormous margin any analysis trying to show a male/female split has to take her figures out because they are such an outlier.

Â