The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

13 hours ago, bickster said:

I could have put it in the Tory topic but I think it fits here better

The thing that is even sadder than the interviewers response is that she is sadly right. Certainly enough people don't care.

The Tories have spent the last 11 years pushing the boundaries to what is acceptable, really ramping it up in the last couple of years, and now Tory politicians, backed up by right wing media turning a blind eye, can pretty much get away with anything.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The thing that is even sadder than the interviewers response is that she is sadly right. Certainly enough people don't care.

Yes true but has that ever been different? I don't honestly think it has. Public opinion seems to be swayed by the repetition of key words rather than looking at the facts of the matter and if this rumbles on, it will knock little chunks out of the opinion polls lead.

It also requires Starmer to step up to the plate now he has something to get his teeth into.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

It also requires Starmer to step up to the plate now he has something to get his teeth into.

In fairness he had one of his best PMQ's recently getting his teeth into the Greensill issue. If he can't gain ground out of what is going on now then he never will. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

In fairness he had one of his best PMQ's recently getting his teeth into the Greensill issue. If he can't gain ground out of what is going on now then he never will. 

Yes, these situations are made for his inner lawyer

• Like 1

I must admit, I do find the BBC incredibly biased and inaccurate with some of the stuff they report. I try to steer clear of this Trumpian ‘Fake News’ rhetoric but just look at the way they’ve ignored (correct me if I’m wrong) the protests at the weekend. Roughly 300k protestors bringing central London to a standstill, our capital, and their isn’t a news story about it. Now, if this was a BLM protest/march, they’d have several articles about it, videos on their YouTube channel etc. 

Im not saying whether protesting is the right/wrong thing and certainly not commenting on the purpose of each protest but I do find it odd it’s been overlooked. 

• Like 2

Well, that's just like, your opinion, HanoiVillain. To provide some balance, I'm tagging in our reputable investigative journalist from the other thread.

https://vote-watch.com/2021/05/02/laura-kuenssberg-is-brazenly-breaking-bbc-impartiality-rules-and-shes-using-your-cash-to-do-it1/

I can just imagine the author getting redder and redder in the face, and the keyboard becoming more and more coated in spittle as he angrily pounds out each paragraph, until the satisfying climax that'll have the BBC quaking in its boots.

Another journalist who seems to have forgotten her duty to provide facts rather than propagandist opinions, is Laura Kuenssberg, Political Editor of BBC News.

Kuenssberg’s convenient memory loss with regards to rules of impartiality has become so frequent in fact that one can only assume – if not in the early stages of Alzheimer’s – that her actions can be blamed not on ‘forgetfulness’, but on a complete disregard for impartiality altogether.

Accused over the years by the left-wing and the right of pumping-out politically-biased articles and news reports, the daughter of a former Labour party donor has, over the past fortnight, converted her Twitter account into what appears to be a never-ending soft furnishings catalogue – retweeting the posts of every anti-Boris journalist with a wallpaper fetish she can find.

The fact that VoteLeave was not a party-affiliated campaign group, and that the slogan was a suggestion rather than a ‘promise’, was of little relevance to her as she scrawled-out her attack on Boris Johnson.

And, just in case she didn’t feel that she’d broken impartiality rules enough, she polished it all off with a closing statement, claiming that Johnson sought to be popular rather than honest, and writing:

“To use one of his tactics, quoting the classics, the Greek philosopher Plato said: “No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”

VoteWatch has registered a complaint with the BBC over such clear breaches of impartiality, and, if not resolved, will escalate the complaint to OFCOM.

Sources close to me have suggested that OFCOM are on high alert. 

• Haha 1

Talking of the BBC and politics... now this one may be tenuous at best but is an example of the really stupid shit they do.

Yesterday on my Spotify, a new release by Nina Somone popped up for me, it's a single promoting a forthcoming live album. It's Nina singing "Little Girl Blue pts 1 and 2", it starts with Nina saying.... "They thought I'd given up with being political...." and essentially says anyone who thought that is an idiot but it clearly says the song is political (no shit!) sooooo

Listening toi Cerys on 6 whilst I was washing up, on comes the song but without the small monologue at the start. It's just idiotic, like the people she refers to in the bit they skipped, you'd have to be some sort of moron not to realise the song was political but you can't announce it on the BBC, good god no.

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you were writing a column on whether Boris Johnson tells the truth, would you:

a] ask a lot of unnamed advisors, colleagues, insiders and friends familiar with the matter, and put what they say in quotation marks without giving the reader any chance to evaluate them, or would you

b] compare what Boris Johnson has said and done to the historical record, to see if he was telling the truth?

I don't many people would answer a], so why is that what Kuennsberg has done? What does that say about her journalism?

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. The BBC also has requirements around balance. That article is balanced, putting the charges and then covering some context and reasoning and defensive comments and leaving the reader to look at the overall picture. The BBC is basically not permitted to single out Johnson for a hatchet job based around current issues (decorating, bodies pile high) at their current state of development. If/when proof of lying about the comments, or the funding are brought into the daylight, then they will be able to go further.

Where I agree with you is that she could have gone further and noted that Johnson is an historically proven liar and cheat and woven that into the context, but then again Maitliss was rebuked for the piece to Camera she did on Cummins and lying. These journalists have bosses and editors. I think you’re picking the wrong target/tree here. It’s those bosses that cause instances of fair and accurate comment to be blocked or toned down, not the journalists. And the rules on sources for broadcast programmes are not really the right thing to quote when referencing political analysis articles, IMO.

Nobody is singling out Johnson for a hatchet job. The BBC is giving Johnson a perpetual easy ride because he’s a cheeky chappy with a different understanding of truth to us mere mortals. Good grief.

The very problem is the warped sense of ‘balance’. Balance has replaced journalism. This type of balance is where the BBC reports that some people think burning tyres might be bad for our health, others don’t. That’s not balance, that’s giving idiots and criminals equal billing with fact and honesty.

If I was a journalist and I couldn’t find instances of Johnson being a liar, I’d hope my bosses would get rid of me.

If I found those instances and my bosses stopped me reporting them straight, I really hope I’d leave such a corrupt organisation.

The rules the BBC set out for themselves are exactly what should be quoted when judging the BBC. 

I can see that without the BBC the game is up. But I can also see that right now, I’m not sure what the BBC is for. It’s certainly not working in my interest, and its not working from a position of absolute neutrality. Which leaves only one other option.

• Like 2

Peter Stefanowic (Sp?) has a video with over 12 million views that he posts to the BBC every day of Johnson lying at the dispatch box. It really isn't hard to find examples. Its actually harder to find examples of him not telling lies

• Like 1

Â