The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

If all of the BBC services moved to an optional subscription fee of £12.99 per month how many of you would actually pay it?

The only thing i watch on BBC 1 is Dr Who and anything else is usually stuff like the odd James May toy series etc and the odd old music show/doc on BBC 4. Radio wise i listen to the local non league teams commentary & sometimes have radio4/5 on overnight but that is it. Is it worth £13 per month to me? No but i would probably pay it anyway for the convenience of having it for the few things i do use it for.

There is no reason at all for them to be paying people 2 million quid per year for presenting tv/radio shows though. They are not competing for viewing figures or avertising revenue so why do they need Chris Evans / Gary Lineker etc.

Do they seriously think paying Lineker 2 million quid means more people will watch MOTD instead of paying Mark Chapman/Gabby Logan etc 200k? And what does it matter anyway if less people watch, They are not losing any revenue. People are watching it for the football, not the idiots between the football.

Same with the radio, If it is a public service why does it matter if 500,000 people or 1 million people listen to some eejit talking crap & playing a few songs on the breakfast show.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

If all of the BBC services moved to an optional subscription fee of £12.99 per month how many of you would actually pay it?

Me absolutely but why would this happen, The BBC is currently free to air

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

If the license fee was scrapped for example and the only way to get BBC was via subscription like sky sports etc.

For all the discussion about it does this & that but i don't want to pay the license etc how many would actually be willing to pay the 12.99 to keep all ofthe BBC tv & radio services.

I don't really like being forced to pay the license but as i said i use it for a few things that i could justify paying the money for so even given a choice i would pay anyway. This would change if they stopped doing non-league commentaries though and it would then be immediately cancelled.

Hmmm, it's interesting, I would never consider any sort of 'other' subscription TV. I just don't rate television, film and 'big sport' as worth adding costs to the license. 

I think the kids have got Netflix, but all those others, the Sky channels or google prime or whatever, not a chance. I simply wouldn't bother. I guess if I lived in the USA I'd have whatever 'free' local community stuff was up there.

But yeah, I'd probably pay the monthly for a re modelled BBC subscription. Trouble is, people would unsubscribe, so my subscription would go up, or the service down. Plus, you can guarantee the government wouldn't allow other fundraising streams, so it would be strangled off. So they can please their dark Lord Murdoch.

Totally agree on the wages thing. If Norton and Lineker are now seven figure salaries, that's fine. Stick someone else in the seat.

Personally, I think more trouble is heading in the direction of ITV. Their advertising revenue must be taking a right smack on the nose these days.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

hold on a second. Their employees get paid right? Who pays for that?

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

free to air means the staff live on air, they all have other jobs to make ends meet

Lineker is a WWII listening post and Clare Balding works the door at Klub Kont

Good. For a second there I thought it might have been the tax payer and it's not free to air.

Thank goodness!

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's actually not that unique. They have a similar model in Ireland

Yes I'm just aping the cliché of the way BBC figures talk about their funding - they always use the 'because of the unique way the BBC is funded...' turn of phrase.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

You don't need to prove you haven't watched anything. They need to prove that you have...

Yep! And there’s pretty much no way of them doing that aside from sending a licensing officer to politely ask if they can take a look inside your property. You, of course, can tell them to **** right off.

15 hours ago, bickster said:

It's actually not that unique. They have a similar model in Ireland

in Germany they have the rundfunkbeitrag, 18 euros a month to watch TV / listen to radio, that 18 euros a month gets spread across 9 terrestrial TV stations which then also split in various ways regionally and all of them have adverts, all of them have pretty good streaming services too, so basically 200 quid a year for subsidization (the rest made up from advertising) they do have far far more content though, especially sports, satellite TV seems to have less of a monopoly 

they counter the not watching tv / watching netflx argument by going in pretty hard on radio, your car has a radio, your mobile phone can play radio etc everyone has radio

unfortunately the letters they keep sending me explaining all of this is are in German and I cant read German so I haven't got a clue what they're on about

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the letters they keep sending me explaining all of this is are in German and I cant read German

There's always the option if you've got one of those smartphone thingies of using a translate app - point the camera at the letter and the app translates it into english. I did it recently for a French Tax return form and it's like a magic thing.

Er, back on topic, um,  Teletubbies!

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I do wonder how the BBC squares having a single party debate on at primetime, which then features un-countered claims about the Opposition, and impartiality.

Just compare it to the time that they did that hour-long, Prime Time special feature with the potential Labour party leaders.

• Like 1

Â