The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We don't have to all be BBC fans I'm like a whole host of people that thinks the BBC sucks. I think the quality of programming is not for me.

I'm not stopping or critising anyone that likes BBC but don't make me believe the BBC is this great company when it's had it's fair share of scandals.

I'm also not saying I  don't like sky or any of little ruperts media empire either.

I like others don't watch much tv these days for the above reason. I prefer catchup services on Netflix and prime as opposed to the stuff on tv.

The BBC is not just TV. :bang:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm quite shocked at how many times I've read this in this thread and how often it seems to be totally ignored.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Ok "radio" too. Yes I am a few they do radio services as well

I don't listen to that either does that help???

I have to say I do agree with @Ingram85 I find people are very condensing on this thread if you critise the BBC

I'm outta here too

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

it wont have a impact on my life in the slightest as it does now.

We've been here before with the homeless issue.

I'm pretty sure there's levels of cause and effect you're not considering here, Dem?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ok "radio" too. Yes I am a few they do radio services as well

I don't listen to that either does that help???

I have to say I do agree with @Ingram85 I find people are very condensing on this thread if you critise the BBC

I'm outta here too

It's not just TV and Radio. Please read the rest of the thread.

And It's not just about whether you watch or listen to anything specific.

It's not about people taking issue with you being critical of the BBC (most of the people taking issue with what you are saying are themselves critical of the BBC - me included), it is about taking issue with you failing to understand the organization about which you are being critical. It isn't Sky or Netflix or Amazon Prime. It is the BBC.

If you don't want to pay the licence fee then you have a simple solution which has been outlined several times in this thread.

• Like 3

The BBC is one of those things where if you can get an impact on its programming, not only do you weaken its neutrality on news and opinion, but you also weaken the idea of it as a viable alternative to billionaire financed news sources, in doing that you create the situation where people call for an end to its existence - and removing one of the few defences they have against that corporate control of news.

At its best, it's an independent broadcaster on an enormous scale, capable of putting out news that isn't directly controlled by an oligarch or corporate interest - it ought to be the prized possession of a well run, functioning democracy - a genuinely free press on a dominant scale.

The influence that politics inflicts on it through money is a disease - but killing the patient does more for those funding the disease than those hoping for better. I believe the BBC is worth fighting for - it needs independent guaranteed funding that cannot be affected by change from government - it needs complete independence from party political or financial interest. Easier said than done I realise, but still worth the fight in my opinion.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, peterms said:

BBC announces intention to adopt some basic principles of political journalism.

I gave up at number 5, the fact they think number 5 is a good idea speaks volumes

If they enforce that properly?

Everyone in politics falls foul of 2.

Brexit, particularly cockends Farage and Johnson won't get much past 6. Pulling them up outside the interview process won't be to their liking at all.

I think it's a good idea in principle.

I get to listen to PM fairly often and Evan Davis is responding to feedback of interviews across the BBC, but trialling a slightly new approach on his programme. Basically, the feedback they were getting was as per this thread. 

Why are some people clearly a favourite and a regular on the BBC?

Why do known 'lies' or misinformation not get called out by interviewers?

Do you not have researchers or fact checkers live checking and calling out 'errors'?

Bickering and interrupting just make unlistenable noise.

If you ask a question, wait for an answer, but also push for an actual answer.

Evan does now tell an interviewee if they haven't actually answered the question. He will then also say what he takes from that not answer. It's definitely calmer and quieter of late.

It's a small change but it's in the right direction. But doesn't help with the horror chow that is Brexit Question Time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

But doesn't help with the horror chow that is Brexit Question Time.

You'd have to get rid of the ultra-right wing party sympathiser that runs the show to even make a start in that direction

• Like 1

On 11/06/2019 at 17:02, mjmooney said:

I would happily pay the licence fee for BBC4 alone. It's the only channel (including Netflix, etc.) that I watch every day. 

there is a TV channel called BBC4? 😕

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

there is a TV channel called BBC4? 😕

It's excellent if you're a middle aged bloke that isn't a gammon. It's a heady mix of geology, general science, history and music documentaries.

It's my default channel if the TV is on late in the evening.

As a random pick, tonight's schedule has classical music, Alice Roberts, Coffee, Rome, the anatomy of cells , The Sky At Night, Sabre Tooth Tigers.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

On 11/06/2019 at 22:04, Demitri_C said:

And how exactly do you prove you haven’t watched it exactly.? Unless there is some kind of spyware on your tv how would they be able to prove you watched a bbc programme or not?

You don't need to prove you haven't watched anything. They need to prove that you have...

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I gave up at number 5, the fact they think number 5 is a good idea speaks volumes

I think it's a good idea.

Example: Currently a politican may be interviewed when, say, a building has burnt down, or a company appointed to run ferries or etc.

Then the interviewer asks a question and the politician rambles on about the budget for this or that has increased under this Gov't...and the opposition opposed moves to...and whatever.

If at the start (or before) the interview, everyone is told that the purpose of this interview is to understand what warnings were given to the Government and what action was taken... then that could lead to everyone being fully aware that in an enquiry into "who knew what, when" rambling on about budgets is not answering the question and allows the interviewer to remind us and the politician of number 2 "not answering the question". 

It'll be really helpful for example with the likes of Johnson and Farage, who are now saying totally different things to what they said a year ago. "Last year you said this (play clip) this week you said this (play clip 2)  - What factors made have made you change your mind from "we can get a better deal than Norway" to "we must have a no deal Brexit?"

Â