The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Also, as much as I think drawing comparisons with the Nazis is rarely wise, there is this weird thing going on at the moment where Nazism is presented purely as a movement against Judaism - rather than a set of violent nationalist, anti-liberal views of which antisemitism was the worst feature, but not the only feature.

Of course Braverman isn’t about to deliver Holocaust 2.0*. But a lot of the paranoia, othering, anti-liberal, anti-cosmopolitan language and targeting of political opponents, winding back of human rights laws, etc… come on, it’s not “offensive to Jews” to say this is far right.

I think a lot of Poles, French, Czechs, Danes, etc would be slightly bemused by the idea that Jewish people are the sole arbiters of what is a legitimate comparison with Nazi Germany.

And as others have said, the idea Lineker is doing anything particularly unusual here, when Andrew Neill, Geoff Boycott, and many others have combined BBC presenting roles with (shock horror) personal political views expressed via other channels.

A big bunch of **** bollocks.

*yet 

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It annoys me that they a behind a paywall but the Financial Times seems to be pretty balanced.

I do wish there was a mainstream paper that just reported news factually without any kind of political spin. The Independent sort of used to be that but not any more. And I used to believe the BBC was (to a reasonable degree anyway) but certainly not in the last decade or so. 

Thing is, *everyone* is ideological and has political views.

What matters is whether you put promoting your political views ahead of truth / reality / your job.

IMO Lineker has always performed his MOTD role with basically no hint whatsoever of what he thinks about the wider world.

I also feel the same way about right winger Andrew Neil tbh - he would happily destroy right wing guests on the Daily Politics, and then Tweet his own right wing views.

Re the FT, they clearly have a position. They’re internationalist, pro markets, socially liberal, etc. But as you say, they let the facts do the talking most of the time.

Contrast with GB News or someone like Braverman, where everything just feels like a game of baiting people, twisting facts, and getting one over political opponents. 

• Like 4

I still find it odd that labour say the BBC is biased towards the Tories

And

The Tories say that the BBC is biased towards labour

This current argument is, as someone said on this thread, is becoming a mountain out of a mole hill. Very well paid pundit paid to talk bo**ocks on MOTD for sum total of 15 mins per week makes a comment on Twitter......

Meanwhile 

There is a war going on in Ukraine, people are struggling to pay for food and keep themselves warm in this Country, loads of other bad stuff going on and yet loads of people are getting hot and frothy about Lineker

Even the BBC lead with the Lineker story this evening....I am sorry I really just dont get it...am I the only one ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Jenas is out now. They’ll literally just have to show a highlights show for 20 minutes or something. No real alternative. 

My current bet is that it's hosted by Linekar, in an embarrassing climb down.

1 minute ago, delboy54 said:

Thing is, almost everything they say is complete bullshit. Fool me 7000 times, shame on you...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I still find it odd that labour say the BBC is biased towards the Tories

And

The answer is obvious, who is running the BBC? RObbie Gibb and Richard Sharp. Look 'em up. It won't take you long to draw a conclusion

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Jenas is out now. They’ll literally just have to show a highlights show for 20 minutes or something. No real alternative. 

Good, far better than listening to the pundits to be honest.....

Just now, Johnnyp said:

I won’t be doing match of the day tomorrow night. I wasn’t down to do it but ya know - solidarity etc. 

Way past my bedtime.....and too early in the morning on Sunday 😊

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He didn't say or infer they are the same as Nazi's. He said the language is not too dissimilar to what was used in Germany in the 1930's and he is absolutely spot on as it very similar to the language used by politicians and media in 1930's Germany. Where that language led to should maybe be a warning to us all. 

It is inferring but hey I'm not going to die on a hill for Lineker and his use of English.

21 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Do I have to? We may not like a political party and the decisions they make, but to infer that they are the same as Nazi's is clearly a stupid thing to say, and incorrect. There is no doubt that immigration is a problem for the West, and has to be addressed, but as I've said it's causes and solutions are very complex, certainly too complex to be covered by Twitter. Maybe he should have tried not to be so inflammatory and said that he disagreed strongly with the Governments policy.

What he said is very accurate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

And now Match of the Day, hosted this week by... the guy who ended up on BBC News by accident, and he's joined by Vaclav Drobny and the ghost of Jimmy Saville.

You’d need Vaclav Drobny’s ghost too!

Government response "Individual cases are a matter for the BBC." F**k off they are the ones who instigated this whole pile on as they couldn't handle truth combined with empathy. Divisive bastards. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Â