Racism Part two

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Who is saying 'remove history' or rewrite history?

Pretty much all 'history' is a modern take about what happened in the past.

Can only speak for Sweden but I think it happens a lot. Things are changed altered or adjusted all the time.

The fact that google are allowing some people to hide stuff about then from the internet is kinda messed up.

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Can only speak for Sweden but I think it happens a lot. Things are changed altered or adjusted all the time.

The fact that google are allowing some people to hide stuff about then from the internet is kinda messed up.

History is always adjusted and altered over time because of newer things that are discovered and different perspectives and analyses that are applied to those events.

The issue is about blanking out history or skewing history so that it can only be viewed through the 'party' (to address the 1984 references) lens.

Addressing historical actions in the view of the ethics of today as well as the ethics of the time (and, hopefully, some sort of relatively eternal ethics) should be no problem and if that means reviewing the assessments already made then that ought to be viewed as a good, mature way to think about the world.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

I am not for removing statues so how about creating a conversation. You remove them and you remove the crime. Its hidden, forgotten. Keep the statue and a plaque with nothing but the crimes. Create a conversation and a lesson that shouldn’t be repeated. 

I think moving some into a slavery museum or something like that would be good start. Can be educational then. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Irish might disagree

Yes they have every right to disagree but I don't think statues of icons should be taken down because a certain section of society find them offensive. I have no problem with Edward Coulston or others like him going but I draw the line with those I have mentioned plus Gladstone. Florence Nightingale or people of that status. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think moving some into a slavery museum or something like that would be good start. Can be educational then. 

Seems like the best solution. Imagine being the descendant of a slave and there's a big ass statue commemorating a slaver in your city. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

That’s a really good shout. Not really going to have the same impact in terms of making a statement though. 

Maybe start making the statues out of plaster?

By the time the statue has whittled down and disappeared whoever was depicted will likely have been defamed, overthrown or become outdated anyway.

Much cheaper and easier. Just put whoever is the talk of the town that year up there and repeat.

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am not for removing statues so how about creating a conversation. You remove them and you remove the crime. Its hidden, forgotten. Keep the statue and a plaque with nothing but the crimes. Create a conversation and a lesson that shouldn’t be repeated. 

And it would only take 50 thousand years for as many people to stop and read the plaque as have learnt about Edward Colston in the last week.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sne said:

Well, yes. That's how time works. Places that haven't changed over time? Even Pompeii and Herculaneum have a gift shop and modern toilets. 

Nobody is suggesting "erasing history". I would suggest that the following two points are pretty much inarguable:

(1) More people have learned more about Edward Colston and his position in British history in the last week than they would have for the next hundred years had his statue been ignored last week.

(2) when he is fished out of the harbour and stuck in a museum he, and his story will attract for more interest than he ever did when he was standing outside the Radisson car park. 

It's not erasing history, it's highlighting it.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

1984 is a great book, been a while since I read it. 

It’s a really good reference point.

Throughout school I was taught about the Vikings, King Alfred, Magna Carta, 1066, a list of english kings and queens and two world wars.

At no point in any of my schooling was anything taught about anything Welsh. We were erased from the history lessons in our own country. Literally not a mention. I genuinely don’t think we need to worry about people starting to re write history. It’s been happening for a while.

2 minutes ago, coda said:

Nobody has mentioned the real outrage...living statues. They need to be tipped over and thrown into the nearest body of water.

It could unite the country!

• Like 1

Â