Norwich City

TRO

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm genuinely going to support Leeds

It has been unofficial until now, but now it is official ... you have been removed from my Christmas card list.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2024 at 15:28, HongKongVillan said:

Weird bunch, unhappy when Smith was in charge at 5th place, but happy to have this shambles of a performance and finished 6th with Wagner.

Smith was something of a lightning rod for general discontent around the club. That being said it's far more nuanced than 'they were 5th and unhappy and now they're 6th and happy'. Smith's 10 game unbeaten run was filled with poor performances against crap teams and plenty of people predicted that it would fall apart as soon as we faced some quality, and it did. Smith wouldn't have turned it around. He was also clearly not happy here thus the fans never really took to him as a person, stuff like that is obviously only important when the football is shite.

Wagner has been incredibly streaky but it's clear and obvious that the squad have been playing for him.  Had Josh Sargent's injury been less severe (he missed 20 games) we'd probably have been involved in the title race. Our slump this season was the first half of the Sargent injury before Wagner found a way to win without him. If the fans had their way Wagner would have been gone last October but he rode it out and turned it around.

Performances under Wagner have varied a lot but unlike under Smith there is a clear identity and progression on the pitch (Saturday's performance was one of the worst since the slump in October). 

So yeah, Wagner is miles better than Smith but most of us wouldn't be too bothered if he left at the end of the season either.

Edited by Naaaaarch

14 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

They lack creativity down in Suffolk.  Well played for getting it on the post though.

16 minutes ago, Naaaaarch said:

They lack creativity down in Suffolk.  Well played for getting it on the post though.

At least both sides have the decency to protect the dog’s identity 🤣

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Naaaaarch said:

Smith was something of a lightning rod for general discontent around the club. That being said it's far more nuanced than 'they were 5th and unhappy and now they're 6th and happy'. Smith's 10 game unbeaten run was filled with poor performances against crap teams and plenty of people predicted that it would fall apart as soon as we faced some quality, and it did. Smith wouldn't have turned it around. He was also clearly not happy here thus the fans never really took to him as a person, stuff like that is obviously only important when the football is shite.

Wagner has been incredibly streaky but it's clear and obvious that the squad have been playing for him.  Had Josh Sargent's injury been less severe (he missed 20 games) we'd probably have been involved in the title race. Our slump this season was the first half of the Sargent injury before Wagner found a way to win without him. If the fans had their way Wagner would have been gone last October but he rode it out and turned it around.

Performances under Wagner have varied a lot but unlike under Smith there is a clear identity and progression on the pitch (Saturday's performance was one of the worst since the slump in October). 

So yeah, Wagner is miles better than Smith but most of us wouldn't be too bothered if he left at the end of the season either.

You clearly watch a lot more of Norwich than I do so I will go with what you are saying. I'm just coming from perhaps more of a stats point of view, its the truth that you finished on 6th which is a place lower than 5th (ok there is a chance for promotion so less brush that off).

Again i dont watch enough of Norwich but perhaps against elite BCFC was a bit too much for Norwich, even though Wagner said he was no let-off for them on the last day.

You won 6 games since March, one of which is Ipswich so fair play. But the rest were against the likes of Plymouth, Rotherham, so I dont see how you can beat Smith up for beating crap teams when Wagner is basically doing the same thing? Ok injury to Josh Sargent might not have helped, but dont get me started on talking injuries........😪

Edited by HongKongVillan

8 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

You clearly watch a lot more of Norwich than I do so I will go with what you are saying. I'm just coming from perhaps more of a stats point of view, its the truth that you finished on 6th which is a place lower than 5th (ok there is a chance for promotion so less brush that off).

Again i dont watch enough of Norwich but perhaps against elite BCFC was a bit too much for Norwich, even though Wagner said he was no let-off for them on the last day.

You won 6 games since March, one of which is Ipswich so fair play. But the rest were against the likes of Plymouth, Rotherham, so I dont see how you can beat Smith up for beating crap teams when Wagner is basically doing the same thing? Ok injury to Josh Sargent might not have helped, but dont get me started on talking injuries........😪

It was 5th but it was 5th after 24 games whilst dramatically trending downwards in both performance and results. 10/5/9 was his w/d/l ratio in the worst Championship in a long time. Granted it did get a bit worse with Wagner (7/5/8) but there was enough in the performances (before an injury crisis) to suggest we would improve this season, and that has been the case.

We did taper off a bit over the last few games this season (most of the top 6 did actually) but overall we've been okay. We only lost 4 times this calendar year, 2 of those were away to Leeds and Leicester, another was away to Boro in a game where we had a man sent off after 30 mins and obviously Saturday. We were also a lot less fancied this season

Interestingly Wagner thanked Webber for backing him in his post match and not the new man Knappe,r who he's been working with for the second half of this season. Knapper loaned out our 2nd choice striker (Adam Idah) and brought in a player that Wagner has clearly not rated, I think there's a very good chance Wagner leaves even if he wins at Wembley in a couple of weeks time.

What a moron

Footballer charged with drink-driving after crash

A Norwich City footballer has been charged with driving while unfit through drink following a two-vehicle crash, police said.

Shane Duffy, 32, was arrested in Hethersett, near Norwich, late on Monday.

He is due to appear before magistrates in Norwich in July.

Norwich City Football Club said it was "aware of an incident involving one of its first team players".

A spokesperson for Norfolk Police said: "Police were called to Queen's Road, Hethersett, 21:05, on Monday 6 May, following reports of a two-vehicle collision.

"Emergency services attended the scene and a man, aged in his 30s, was arrested on suspicion of drink driving. He was taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.

The spokesperson said Mr Duffy, of Norwich Common, Wymondham, was "charged with driving whilst unfit through drink, having provided an evidential breath sample of 102mcg".

The legal limit is 35 micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw0vl28zn82o

Got to love this industry.

Not mentally prepared enough to call a cab after drinking 3x the limit but ready to play a playoff semi final days later. He managed to rip the rear axle off the car he hit btw so it wasn't a little tap.

• Like 2

Taking it easy against sha worked out for them I see.

The main reason I would want them back is because they are a pretty good source of points for us.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Taking it easy against sha worked out for them I see.

The main reason I would want them back is because they are a pretty good source of points for us.

Its funny when they come up they immediately try create a rivalry with us. Last time it was why would Buendia join us instead of staying 😂

• Haha 2

Think they'll struggle next season.

Pretty ageing squad if they lose likes of Rowe and Sara this summer.

I assume parachute payments are running out aswell which is always a problem if you don't get back up within 2-3 years.

• Like 1

Ha!

Threw the game against Small Heath to lose against Leeds instead of Southampton and gets the sack two days later. Serves you right you bluenose bastard, why don't you just go and work for them now actually?

Should have sacked Deano months before we finally did. ;) Glad Wagner's gone but he certainly played a big part in stabilizing the club. He has a right to be pissed off, both with Webber appointing him and then buggering off and then with the new guy weakening our squad in January. 

According to local press Wagner would have been sacked even if he'd gotten us up. He clearly doesn't fit the desired tactical blueprint of the new SD, which we are assuming is pretty much what we had under Farke. He was at Arsenal for years so that shouldn't be too surprising.

Can't imagine there will be massive changes to the squad outside of the back line. It seems that Gibson, Batth, Giannoulis and McCallum will all be released. There's a decent chance Hanley is done at this level and I could imagine we'll try to move Duffy on (although I doubt we'll be able to). That will bring our age down significantly. From the actual assets I'm only slightly worried about losing Sara as I think he'll give us at least 1 more season. Rowe is good but I don't think he's Premier League class and we have a couple of years on the contract. Sargent is on a long contract and he's not getting a Premier League move, can't imagine we'll get any big enough offers from the Bundesliga for instance. 

Whilst we won't have parachute payments we do have a bit more money in the bank with the new American involvement. They aren't going to spend like crazy but I can't imagine we'll be forced to sell either. Also have to take into consideration who are coming down. Will be a weaker division next season and I'm sure that our SD will be making that very clear to those in control of the purse strings.

Â