Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Mings has handled the situation very well from a PR point of view.  And to be fair to Gerrard, he said from day one that the captaincy was something he would look to address.

On the subject of Mings as a player, I think Gerrard (and Dean Smith towards the end) has seen that he has a couple of glaring weaknesses in his game that have cost us too many goals.  He was just what the doctor ordered in the promotion season.  He is a good organizer and defends very well when the game is in front of him, but he is far away from being a top defender in my mind.  Backing away from his man in and around the box, turning away from the ball, and generally being poor in 1v1 situations (Gerrard referred to it last season as "red zone defending") are fundamental problems for him.  I'm not sure he'll ever iron out those issues as they are instinctive in good defenders.  The other thing that seems to be a problem is that he has these melt-downs when things are going against him and can't seem to get out of his own head.  

8 hours ago, Steero113 said:

I am also disappointed but could you name the captains that you are categorising as ‘idiots’ please?

Aside from Jack who was most definitely a moron in an academic sense. 

Alongside Jack, we've had people like Richards, Lescott, and Clark captain us. Whilst they were here, they weren't the most professional in my opinion. Be it for the way the acted off the field or the way they endeavoured on the pitch.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I cannot believe he's took it off Mings to give it to McGinn...but if there's one man in the squad who Mings I think would accept taking it, it's McGinn.

He's been here longer, and has been part of our rise alongside Mings. IMO he wouldn't have liked it at all if it was Emi or god forbid Carlos.

He does need to focus on his game. It's the only thing he needs to do. Defend. Head it. Pass it to Carlos.

McGinn shouldn't be in the team, so giving it to him is just so mad.

I think people may be surprised by the amount of games that SJM doesn’t start. By naming Martinez as vice captain we already have a more or less guaranteed starter in the squad. The midfield has been improved upon and may still be added to over the next month or so. The emergence of some development players, Tim particularly, strengths us too.  

I’ve always thought that the title of captain was to a large degree more symbolic that anything and isn’t so much about actually being in the starting 11 on a game to game basis. Henderson isn’t a starter for Liverpool or England. I believe SJM gets it as he carries the dressing room and I think has been at the club longer than anyone else now. Ashley Young as club captain makes sense too as he’s the most experienced through his  career and can be looked upon as a wise old sage. I’m not sure he’d like that description completely though. 

Edited by DaveAV1

Looking back now if I was Ty i would be asking to leave. The actual club leader since he signed and removed to 4th captain. Gerrard probably give Coutinho the band before him

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Wouldn't get into your Villa team but is worth close to £40m, something's amiss here.

Konsa is better.  Being giving England caps give increases value significantly 

12 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Hopefully we can get close to 40m for him.  He wouldn’t be a starter in my villa team anyway.

Que? Are we suddenly trying to sell one of our best defenders?

And if he wouldn't be a starter then why do you expect to get that amount for him? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Que? Are we suddenly trying to sell one of our best defenders?

And if he wouldn't be a starter then why do you expect to get that amount for him? 

40m isnt that much for an English player these days with some caps.  

Mings is best as a no nonsense defender, so many mistakes related to trying to retain possession. Maybe being Captain made him feel responsible for starting from the back.

With Carlos beside him to spray balls and Kamara collecting, hopefully he can concentrate on doing the basics of defending at a high level.

17 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

40m isnt that much for an English player these days with some caps.  

We cant get 5 million for El Ghazi who scored double figures season before last

I love Mings but we aren't getting 40 million for him and from who 😂

Absolutely astounded by the news.

I do remember that Ollie Watkins, when asked which player he thought had the most heart, instantly replied McGinn, so maybe Gerrard had noticed it too.

The only negative I would say about Mings, is that he does seem to get involved with political matters, which as other examples show, can prove a distraction.

Of course, it may have absolutely nothing to do with personality and is just a case of Gerrard thinking that a captain in midfield has more influence over the whole team, than one at either end of the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Either way, I don’t think Gerard rates Mings to much.  He’s on his way I suspect 

“Naturally, I have had to have a discussion with Tyrone Mings and have explained my reasons for making this decision. More importantly, I believe that not having the responsibility of the captaincy will allow Tyrone to focus more on his own game which can only benefit him and the team.”

Doesn't sound like he's desperate to move him on...

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

“Naturally, I have had to have a discussion with Tyrone Mings and have explained my reasons for making this decision. More importantly, I believe that not having the responsibility of the captaincy will allow Tyrone to focus more on his own game which can only benefit him and the team.”

Doesn't sound like he's desperate to move him on...

Well it depends more on Ming's. For all we know Ming's may be pleased not to captain ( I doubt it but you never know).

Clubs looking a CB may be alerted to this news - clearly if TM starts ripping it up at another club then questions will rightly be asked. But that's a long way down the line.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well it depends more on Ming's. For all we know Ming's may be pleased not to captain ( I doubt it but you never know).

Clubs looking a CB may be alerted to this news - clearly if TM starts ripping it up at another club then questions will rightly be asked. But that's a long way down the line.

Yeah it definitely depends on how he takes it as well, but he's always struck me as very professional and level headed. I actually think not having the armband could take a bit of pressure off and improve his game. 

2 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Mings is best as a no nonsense defender, so many mistakes related to trying to retain possession. Maybe being Captain made him feel responsible for starting from the back.

Always said he's more of a Sol Campbell than Rio Ferdinand, 

He can now concentrate on blowing bigger bubbles and improving his angles when pointing 

7 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Mings has handled the situation very well from a PR point of view.  And to be fair to Gerrard, he said from day one that the captaincy was something he would look to address.

On the subject of Mings as a player, I think Gerrard (and Dean Smith towards the end) has seen that he has a couple of glaring weaknesses in his game that have cost us too many goals.  He was just what the doctor ordered in the promotion season.  He is a good organizer and defends very well when the game is in front of him, but he is far away from being a top defender in my mind.  Backing away from his man in and around the box, turning away from the ball, and generally being poor in 1v1 situations (Gerrard referred to it last season as "red zone defending") are fundamental problems for him.  I'm not sure he'll ever iron out those issues as they are instinctive in good defenders.  The other thing that seems to be a problem is that he has these melt-downs when things are going against him and can't seem to get out of his own head.  

I hate to break it to you but Carlos is far from perfect too. And I’m referencing him because everyone believes he’s automatically the top guy now that he’s here so he will be our barometer. Oh, and for anyone who hates stats, look away now…

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Always said he's more of a Sol Campbell than Rio Ferdinand, 

He can now concentrate on blowing bigger bubbles and improving his angles when pointing 

Hey! We got a gum comment. Been awhile since I’ve seen one of them.

• Like 4

Â