Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

I would be really tempted to try something different for this game. The current formation is just not working, and if Grealish or Lansbury aren't fit and able to play at least 70 minutes then chances are it won't work again.

Kalinic

Chester  Elphick  Hause

Bree/Hutton       Bjarnasson       Taylor/Hutton

McGinn                Hourihane

El Ghazi/Bolasie

Abraham

The defence is currently our weakness, we now have 3 centre backs and it may be time to utilise them all and sure things up.

Full backs are also a problem, having 3 at the back will allow the full backs the chance to get forward as they seem to want to do.

Bjarnasson in at holding midfield, I don't think he's the best for the job but Whelan hasn't looked great and Jedinak seem's to be gone this season.

El Ghazi or Bolasie in behind Abraham, or Smith can gamble and play O'Hare or a second stiker in Hogan or Davis. I assume Kodjia is injured and out of this one.

The wingers in our current formation are completely pointless as we just aren't using them, we need to get some numbers in that midfield until we have players who can carry and pick passes to the wide man (aka Grealish)

Edited by wilko154

On 12/01/2019 at 17:22, OutByEaster? said:

i'm struggling to find a line up that works. We need more in midfield and the only way I can see to get that is to drop the wingers, but.....

--------------------------------Kalinic--------------------------------

Bree-----------Chester-----------Elphick-----------Hutton

-------------------------------Whelan-------------------------------

-----------McGinn-----Hourihane---Bjarnason----------

------------------------------Abraham-----------------------------

I'm not convinced by.

Only starting with 10 would very much send a message to the wide men they need to pick up their game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If we don't revert to playing the open attacking stuff from the first weeks of Smith then we'll lose this.  Hull are flying.  6 wins in a row and 1 defeat in 13.  They're top of the league over the past 13 games, 2pts ahead of Leeds (we're 6th).  It would be just like us to beat them after losing to the most out of form team, but I'm struggling to see how if we continue trying to play the more cautious football we've been using in the past few weeks.  I'll go for a lucky score draw.

We are a mid table championship club. We might want better but why do we deserve better ?The fans have a part to play supporting the team not getting on their backs because we are not winning. We do not have a right to win we have to build a team that is capable of winning and that takes time. The fans have to accept that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Mate in any big club it comes great expectations.

Another embarrasing performance and i wouldn't blame the fans for turning on the team, we deserve better.

Behave. We don't deserve anything given how we have been run for years and our sky high unrealistic expectations. 

• Like 1

On 12/01/2019 at 17:22, OutByEaster? said:

i'm struggling to find a line up that works. We need more in midfield and the only way I can see to get that is to drop the wingers, but.....

--------------------------------Kalinic--------------------------------

Bree-----------Chester-----------Elphick-----------Hutton

-------------------------------Whelan-------------------------------

-----------McGinn-----Hourihane---Bjarnason----------

------------------------------Abraham-----------------------------

I'm not convinced by.

I can see why you're not convinced by this - there are only 10 players, try sneaking an 11th in there and you might have the makings of a team that will convince you.

Sorry for being arsey!!

• Haha 3

I like the idea of a 3-5-2, our defence is awful, only 3 other teams have shipped more goals in the Championship.  I realise Smith likes to attack but a solid foundation for attacking is needed.  Plus it looks like our new left back isn't arriving anytime soon.

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We have one of the most expensive squads in the league and expecting top 6 is unrealistic?

Ok then mate. Good job lowering the bar.

The bar is set exactly on our league position. That's the only thing that doesn't lie and isn't subject to opinions, based on that we are exactly where we deserve to be. Its ok to want and expect more but why that gives us the right to beat the likes of Wigan or Hull I'm not really sure.

Edited by AVFCDAN

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

The bar is set exactly on our league position. That's the only thing that doesn't lie and isn't subject to opinions, based on that we are exactly where we deserve to be. Its ok to want and expect more but why that gives us the right to beat the likes of Wigan or Hull I'm not really sure.

Expectations are not set to where you currently are though.  Expectation is where you want to end up.  Otherwise no-one would go anywhere.  I agree that we are where we currently deserve to be, as is everyone else.  That's what the league table is for.  But these players are currently underperforming and if we're still 12th come season's end then that would be nothing short of embarrassing.

• Like 1

If yet again the players doesn't turn up, the atmosphere at Villa Park will be cancer. And rightfully so.

I remember Paul Lambert saying at a press conference once that as a team you got to give the fans something to get behind, give them something to cheer about. 100 % correct, you gotta give us something.

The last 2 games been appalling.

It could be over for our playoff ambitions if we don't show some "bouncebackability" after the recent turgid performances. Smith will be under a huge amount of pressure if we lose this at home and the temptation will be to write off this season (and remaining days of the transfer window) and try to start building for next season. 

14 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I'd rather go back to the 5-5 matches rather than zero goals scored in the last two. 

Me too, but I'd snap your hand off if you offered me a scrappy 1-0 victory in this.

With Hull's form I've got a very bad feeling about this one :( 

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

With Hull's form I've got a very bad feeling about this one :( 

I think we'll see a reaction from our players after the shame of the last few non-performances. Except from Taylor, sadly like with a old mangy dog with arthritis he'll have to be brought to the vet and put down.