OutByEaster?

Pre-match thread

Recommended Posts

Aaaaand suddenly this one has something on it. If we play like we just have in front of a home crowd things are going to get uncomfortable.

It's difficult for the manager, there's no sign that picking the same players will have an effect and if he doesn't make changes and this team put in another ineffective performance he'll be under pressure. However our lack of depth in key areas means that if he does make changes, he'll most likely have to change the shape - and if he does that and gets it wrong, he'll be under more pressure.

It's a free hit for Hull. It's a game that could decide the future of much of our squad and define the relationship this manager has with the Villa Park crowd for the next few months.

Good luck Dean!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm struggling to find a line up that works. We need more in midfield and the only way I can see to get that is to drop the wingers, but.....

--------------------------------Kalinic--------------------------------

Bree-----------Chester-----------Elphick-----------Hutton

-------------------------------Whelan-------------------------------

-----------McGinn-----Hourihane---Bjarnason----------

------------------------------Abraham-----------------------------

I'm not convinced by.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christ, check out Hulls last few league games. Won six in a row, and the last two games six nil and three nil.

In the words of Bollo, "I got a bad feeling about this."

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

i'm struggling to find a line up that works. We need more in midfield and the only way I can see to get that is to drop the wingers, but.....

--------------------------------Kalinic--------------------------------

Bree-----------Chester-----------Elphick-----------Hutton

-------------------------------Whelan-------------------------------

-----------McGinn-----Hourihane---Bjarnason----------

------------------------------Abraham-----------------------------

I'm not convinced by.

That setup wouldn't work it's too narrow and there's no width. If you can't control midfield with 3 players in there then it's not the formation that's the problem it's the players. Hourihane, Whelan, Thor, jedinak all aren't good enough. When you have to play two of those you are screwed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The championship is ridiculous as I am expecting a 1 nil Villa win then.

Ridiculous is an understatement, even after the crap we saw yesterday, we are still only a couple of wins off the play offs. But so is every one else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve been pulling in some good crowds, especially for traditional KO times on a Saturday. Wonder if they will start dropping. Hull are in some terrific form. Probably the best form in league at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to play Hutton. I know he is not the best defender in the world 

But at least he is more attack minded than any one who half turned up against Wigan 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people starting to get excited at the thought of hostile home crowds and toxic atmospheres ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                       Kalinic 

Hutton Chester Elphick Hause

                          BB

                Mcginn Lansbury

   Adomah     Tammy        Kodjia

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could really do with Grealish or Lansbury back for this game. As daft as it sounds, with Grealish out Lansbury being fit would be so important to us.

This is a team on the crest of a wave, the form team in the division against a team who've hit some sort of a wall and look bereft of confidence.  It's also the championship, so I'm going for a home win. The team that scores first will win this one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a game we really need to win. A win will put us above our visitors and it will keep us 5 points or less off 6th, but more seriously a win is necessary after the last two none performances our team have produced for us. It's the least our team can do for us!

Hull have not won at Villa Park since 1967. We have won 13 and have drawn 8 of the 27 league games between the two clubs. Our visitors have won their last 6 league games though and we have not won a game at home since November (5 games). Nothing less than a win will be acceptable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kalinic

Bree Chester Hause Taylor

McGinn Hourihane Lansbury

El Ghazi  Abraham Bolasie

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, villa89 said:

That setup wouldn't work it's too narrow and there's no width. If you can't control midfield with 3 players in there then it's not the formation that's the problem it's the players. Hourihane, Whelan, Thor, jedinak all aren't good enough. When you have to play two of those you are screwed. 

Also it is Hulls wide men Bowen (and to a lesser extent) Grosicki that will, if allowed, cause us the most problems.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be tempted to try something different, not formation wise, but a couple of role changes, it is clear that we are struggling at LB and I would try Hourihane there and see how he goes. Watching Leeds on Friday night and it doesn't seem to do them any harm playing Allioski at LB and he can't be much worse than Taylor was yesterday. He should at least be comfortable on the ball. I would also start Davis up top and have more of a focal point to bring the midfielders in. So maybe something like this, depending on injuries..

                     Kalinic

Bree   Elphick  Chester   Hourihane 

                    Lansbury 

            O' Hare     McGinn 

El Ghazi                            Abraham

                       Davis

Subs: Steer, Hutton, Hause, Whelan, Kodjia, Hogan, Bolasie  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t envy DS.  Kalinic, Bree, McGinn, Tammy.  Would be the only ones guaranteed for me.  Every other would depend on training this week.  

But NOT. Jedi, Whelan, Taylor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, John said:

This is a game we really need to win. A win will put us above our visitors and it will keep us 5 points or less off 6th, but more seriously a win is necessary after the last two none performances our team have produced for us. It's the least our team can do for us!

Hull have not won at Villa Park since 1967. We have won 13 and have drawn 8 of the 27 league games between the two clubs. Our visitors have won their last 6 league games though and we have not won a game at home since November (5 games). Nothing less than a win will be acceptable!

We hadn't lost at Wigan since 2006 IIRC. Wigan hadn't won at home since November (against Blackburn).

So, records are of course there to be toppled. Hull are in diamond form.

"Mauled by the Tigers... you're getting mauled by the Tigers... mauled by the TIGERS..." We can expect some of that.

As for the recent big crowds... "Come to see the TIGERS... you've only come to see the TIGERS..." We can expect some of that too. I mean, who would really want to come and pay to see VILLA right now? I was thinking of taking my daughter for this... but as it stands, I think I would really be taking her to watch Hull in this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another loss. Hull are flying, 3-0 to Hull

Edited by villalad21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, smg said:

Some people starting to get excited at the thought of hostile home crowds and toxic atmospheres ?

Mate in any big club it comes great expectations.

Another embarrasing performance and i wouldn't blame the fans for turning on the team, we deserve better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

I was thinking of taking my daughter for this... but as it stands, I think I would really be taking her to watch Hull in this one.

Yes I can appreciate that and recall trying to cherry pick games for my son (it was a bit easier back then, than it is at the moment). It does seem a bit like cruelty to children sometimes to see them sitting through some of our recent performances. I wonder if all of our players are aware of or care enough about the impact their level of performances have on the kids who come along to see them. I hope our performances improve quickly so that you can feel more confident about bringing your daughter down to our games.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.