Richard O’Kelly

alreadyexists

Whatever him and DS do it works. I think it’s easy to underestimate people who appear a little bit quiet or a little bit, dare I say, scruffy... we live in such an aesthetic world.

He seems like a very good coach going by the second half of our season, so even if he appears to like the limelight less than, for example, John Terry or others, he seems to be doing well. 

• Like 1

On 17/10/2018 at 13:32, sidcow said:

Watched his interview last night and I thought he sounded a bit too much in awe of the players.

Maybe a small thing but he might encounter a "what have you ever done?" attitude from some of them so I think should not have sounded like a little kid meeting his heroes so much.

Then again he did have John Terry sat next to him so maybe hands those comments over.....

I think whilst having plenty of humility and respect, I believe Dean Smith has a tremendous amount of confidence in his coaching ability, his staff and his set of professional values. I don’t believe people like him are easily thrown off their stride by pre-Madonnas.

He’s got plenty of experience both as a coach and a man, he’ll command respect because of the man he is. Most of the great coaches have at best only been very average players. I don’t imagine too many people asked, Bill Shankley or Brian Clough what they’d ever done, no matter what stage their managerial career they were at. 

40 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t imagine too many people asked, Bill Shankley or Brian Clough what they’d ever done, no matter what stage their managerial career they were at. 

True. But those were different times. Players drank in their local and opened a pub when they retired. They respected their managers, not least because the managers earned a lot more than they did. That equation has long since been reversed, with the era of obscenely rich players with agents and huge egos. Coaches have their work cut out to deal with them nowadays. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

True. But those were different times. Players drank in their local and opened a pub when they retired. They respected their managers, not least because the managers earned a lot more than they did. That equation has long since been reversed, with the era of obscenely rich players with agents and huge egos. Coaches have their work cut out to deal with them nowadays. 

Agreed. I love it that we have a no-nonsense yam yam on the training ground the keep those early-20s millionaire feet on the ground.

It was mentioned a few posts up about him possibly being overawed by "big name players". I wish any player who wishes to cross him on the training pitch the very best in his already lost battle.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I agree times have changed, but strong characters command respect and I believe Dean Smith is a strong character. Gerrard Houllier had vast experience, but the players we had at the time totally and disgracefully undermine him. There are plenty of modern examples of great managers who were average players, including of course Pepe Guardiola. I think Smith really feels at home, which he is here and that makes a big difference too. If he’s the right man, which most of us think he is, the players he brings in will buy into the project and questions of respect won’t be an issue. If any players step too far out of line I believe there is only one winner. 

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Nah. Smith won’t have people like that at the club.

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think whilst having plenty of humility and respect, I believe Dean Smith has a tremendous amount of confidence in his coaching ability, his staff and his set of professional values. I don’t believe people like him are easily thrown off their stride by pre-Madonnas.

He’s got plenty of experience both as a coach and a man, he’ll command respect because of the man he is. Most of the great coaches have at best only been very average players. I don’t imagine too many people asked, Bill Shankley or Brian Clough what they’d ever done, no matter what stage their managerial career they were at. 

I would like to wholeheartedly apologise for my earlier post stating O'Kelly might be a bit starstruck and not command respect. 

sorry the hangover GIF

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree times have changed, but strong characters command respect and I believe Dean Smith is a strong character. Gerrard Houllier had vast experience, but the players we had at the time totally and disgracefully undermine him. There are plenty of modern examples of great managers who were average players, including of course Pepe Guardiola. I think Smith really feels at home, which he is here and that makes a big difference too. If he’s the right man, which most of us think he is, the players he brings in will buy into the project and questions of respect won’t be an issue. If any players step too far out of line I believe there is only one winner. 

263 appearances for Barcelona? Not what I would call average mate.

i see where you are coming from though. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/06/2019 at 15:43, Vive_La_Villa said:

263 appearances for Barcelona? Not what I would call average mate.

i see where you are coming from though. 

Glad someone else said this! Six league titles, half a decade as Barcelona captain, a European Cup and assorted little trinkets such as Olympic gold medals, Cup Winners Cup wins, Euro 2000 one of the players of the tournament etc.

The point about great managers often being average players is entirely right but Pep is probably the worst example I could think of - of every manager in the PL he was probably the best player. Only Lampard is even arguable. (Which, again, actually underlines the point being made about players/managers and which I agree with!)

Edit: sorry, realise this conversation was a while ago but thread just got bumped.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Glad someone else said this! Six league titles, half a decade as Barcelona captain, a European Cup and assorted little trinkets such as Olympic gold medals, Cup Winners Cup wins, Euro 2000 one of the players of the tournament etc.

The point about great managers often being average players is entirely right but Pep is probably the worst example I could think of - of every manager in the PL he was probably the best player. Only Lampard is even arguable. (Which, again, actually underlines the point being made about players/managers and which I agree with!)

Edit: sorry, realise this conversation was a while ago but thread just got bumped.

It was a while ago but you’re still right, Pep wasn’t the best example I could have chosen to make my point! That Zidane bloke though, he could barely kick a ball 😀

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Whenever I've heard Richard O'Kelly talk I've always got the impression that he's a thoroughly nice bloke. I don't quite know why. 

I’ve just watched it and you’re right he’s a lovely bloke. It’s so nice to see “ordinary” people doing well and not suddenly becoming “celebrities”. To some degree they’re living all our dreams. 

We all know Dean is one of our own, I’m not sure who Richard supports, but they’re both local lads and that makes it that much easier for us to connect with them and feel that we’re part of this journey, that they and we, are all on. May the journey be long and glorious. VTID. 

• Like 1

With the love for Smith and JT, i feel this guy is somewhat underappreciated by us fans. Lovely guy and clearly a bloody good coach. 

You don't normally have songs for coaches but as JT gets a lot of love i think we should also have one for Richard. 

39 minutes ago, av1 said:

With the love for Smith and JT, i feel this guy is somewhat underappreciated by us fans. Lovely guy and clearly a bloody good coach. 

You don't normally have songs for coaches but as JT gets a lot of love i think we should also have one for Richard. 

Don't think that's unique to us.

He's an assistant head coach. I don't think other clubs fans gives much attention to their assistant head coaches.

• Like 1

Â