Richard O’Kelly

alreadyexists

54 minutes ago, swollef said:

Is this speculation ? 

have seen on twitter weve got him

It's speculation until it's confirmed by the club. I'm sure you know that anyone can post anything on twitter.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good as a confirmation is that. 

No, it's one person involved at a club who may have got the wrong end of something. It's not confirmed by the club and the thread will keep the speculation tag until it is.

If people want to consider one tweet as confirmation, then they are free to do that. I was responding to a specific question.

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

No, it's one person involved at a club who may have got the wrong end of something. It's not confirmed by the club and the thread will keep the speculation tag until it is.

If people want to consider one tweet as confirmation, then they are free to do that. I was responding to a specific question.

Sorry my post wasn’t directed at yours or the fact the thread still has the speculation tag. To be honest I didn’t even notice it did.

i just meant it seems very likely he is also coming to the club based on that tweet.  Guess we’ll find out tomorrow. 

• Like 1

The main tweet mentions Richard O’Kelly but the rest of the thread is solely about Dean. The club (i.e. Brentford’s) statement just says

Dean brought Richard O’Kelly with him to Brentford when he joined in 2015 and Richard’s position will be clarified in the coming days.”

O’Kelly’s status is still unclear. The AVFC web site includes Dean Smith as Head Coach and John Terry as Assistant Coach But no mention of Richard O’Kelly. 

I imagine there may be some discussion about the relative roles of John Terry and Richard O’Kelly. If I were R O’K I would want that spelt out very clearly before making the move.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

FWIW it’s Brentford’s owner. I would be very surprised if he got the wrong end of the stick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

FWIW it’s Brentford’s owner. I would be very surprised if he got the wrong end of the stick. 

I'd already followed the breadcrumbs and found the same as @briny_ear. The thread will stay as speculation until it's confirmed by the club. A post from the majority shareholder, who has a day job running several bookmakers, does not qualify as confirmation. Without knowing Brentford's corporate structure he might not even be involved in the day to day running of the club. This is why I hope our new owners stay quiet about us.

Feel free to post as if it is confirmed. No-one's trying to censor anything.

It’s apparent O’Kelly has left Brentford. Is it possible Thomas Frank wanted to be ‘his own man’ without interference from Dean Smith’s former right hand man, so whilst O’Kelly has been released by Brentford, until Smith works out how John Terry will be of use to him, O’Kelly hasn’t yet been offered a Villa contract?

23 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't really get the 'thing' that has been made over Smith's backroom staff but then its John Terry and some in the press will always look for an angle, especially when they were pro-Bruce....

So, here is how I see it.

* Smith wasn't the manager at Brentford he was the head coach and there is a difference and was a difference at Brentford

* Smith has been appointed as head coach at Villa and will quite clearly be working in that capacity as part of a wider football structure, he won't be a traditional British style manager 

* When Smith was head coach at Brentford he had not one but two assistants, Richard O'Kelly and Thomas Frank.

* O'Kelly was Smith's guy and it appears and always appeared like Frank was the clubs man and quite possibly always seen as Smith's successor

* John Terry was appointed as Assistant Coach 

* When O'Kelly is confirmed he might be First Team Coach but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has the same title as Terry

Ask any Brentford fan about Smith and they will tell you its not all about him, its about the wider set up at the club above and beyond him and that pre-dated him. That isn't them down playing his impact, simply a reflection of the fact they have a more continental structure and as important as Smith has been for them its not the same as losing old school 'manager'.

I've also seen people in the press try and use this as a reason why Smith might not be successful at Villa while at the same time raising questions about Terry.

But it looks to me like we are very much trying to follow the example set by Brentford, like we will have a head coach with two assistants, one the pick of the head coach and the other more the pick of the club.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the set up, in fact it would be hard for me to be happier with it.

Totally agree with the above. But I expect it to take a while to settle. It's the biggest change in the club in decades. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't really get the 'thing' that has been made over Smith's backroom staff but then its John Terry and some in the press will always look for an angle, especially when they were pro-Bruce....

SNIP

I'm perfectly comfortable with the set up, in fact it would be hard for me to be happier with it.

It's almost as if, and let's go with this for a minute, we recognise that Brentford's system works and are going to replicate it with a higher profile and bigger budget.

We'll be making ourselves "sustainable".

A crazy notion for many in the press, in plenty of industries it's normal to poach someone from a successful set-up and use their insight to create your own version of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's almost as if, and let's go with this for a minute, we recognise that Brentford's system works and are going to replicate it with a higher profile and bigger budget.

Being brutally honest, it doesn’t actually look like that at all, yet. Least, not to me. Superficially having a head coach plus assistants is what a huge range of clubs do, but I don’t think that’s the key to Brentford’s “system”. We’ve just recruited their coach and his assistant and added another. The whole role of the moneyball and opta analytics, the recruiting and scouting and all that stuff, sure we might also go that way, but us recruiting the Jesus fella from Valencia or wherever it was, that’s not looking like it’s replicating Brentford, is it?  We’ve heard no news of computer / sports analysts have we?

Have I missed something?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

So, here is how I see it.

* Smith wasn't the manager at Brentford he was the head coach and there is a difference and was a difference at Brentford

* Smith has been appointed as head coach at Villa and will quite clearly be working in that capacity as part of a wider football structure, he won't be a traditional British style manager 

* When Smith was head coach at Brentford he had not one but two assistants, Richard O'Kelly and Thomas Frank.

* O'Kelly was Smith's guy and it appears and always appeared like Frank was the clubs man and quite possibly always seen as Smith's successor

* John Terry was appointed as Assistant Coach 

* When O'Kelly is confirmed he might be First Team Coach but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has the same title as Terry

Ask any Brentford fan about Smith and they will tell you its not all about him, its about the wider set up at the club above and beyond him and that pre-dated him. That isn't them down playing his impact, simply a reflection of the fact they have a more continental structure and as important as Smith has been for them its not the same as losing old school 'manager'.

I've also seen people in the press try and use this as a reason why Smith might not be successful at Villa while at the same time raising questions about Terry.

But it looks to me like we are very much trying to follow the example set by Brentford, like we will have a head coach with two assistants, one the pick of the head coach and the other more the pick of the club.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket they say, I like this idea, Last time we gave full responsibility to one person we imploded and are arguably still recovering.

Lerner gave MON pretty much full reign and the day he walked away we pretty much fell apart over night.

I prefer the ideology of many moving parts to spread the weight rather than if one cog in the works stops, The big wheel keeps on turning...

And we're rolling, rolling yeah
Rolling on the river :D

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

How can we replicate Brentford’s system if we don’t know the full system and process?

DS doesn’t even know the full process at Brentford.

Also how do we even know if their way is successful?

I think I saw that in one transfer window, can't remember which one specifically, we spent more than they had in their history. They're above us in the league and a very decent Championship team. It's working. 

Pretty sure Dean Smith is aware of a lot of it...tactical analysis, coaching and so on. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Being brutally honest, it doesn’t actually look like that at all, yet. Least, not to me. Superficially having a head coach plus assistants is what a huge range of clubs do, but I don’t think that’s the key to Brentford’s “system”. We’ve just recruited their coach and his assistant and added another. The whole role of the moneyball and opta analytics, the recruiting and scouting and all that stuff, sure we might also go that way, but us recruiting the Jesus fella from Valencia or wherever it was, that’s not looking like it’s replicating Brentford, is it?  We’ve heard no news of computer / sports analysts have we?

Have I missed something?

I'm wondering if getting in Smith and O'Kelly is the start of it, not that we've already done it.  They'll need the insight of someone familiar with the system to be able to implement it.

Â