Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 24/12/2019 at 11:26, Tomaszk said:

What's your point?

Bruce had us sat bottom half of champ.

The point is there is no basis for describing Bruce as a “potato headed cretin”. This is not only immensely juvenile and foolish given relative performances of our manager & him, it is also perpetuating the use of a word that is unacceptably offensive to people with learning disabilities.

JFYI, Smith had us in the bottom half of the championship last season as  well, for much longer than Bruce did.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The point is there is no basis for describing Bruce as a “potato headed cretin”. This is not only immensely juvenile and foolish given relative performances of our manager & him, it is also perpetuating the use of a word that is unacceptably offensive to people with learning disabilities.

JFYI, Smith had us in the bottom half of the championship last season as  well, for much longer than Bruce did.

with the squad Bruce left him with. Bruce is a clearing in the woods whether you like to hear it or not ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

We were bottom half after match 10 and matches 12-16. We never dropped into the bottom half after that.

Smith joined just before match 13. So you're blaming him for a situation he inherited, and then quickly dragged us out of.

You can check it all here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Aston_Villa_F.C._season#Results_by_matchday

There's a case for Bruce having had a better managerial career overall, but from this perspective of this club, there is no doubt who has been the better Aston Villa manager.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

"Farke with dig at Smith on his press conference ahead of the relegation clash and feels Villa should be higher after their spending spree in the summer."

https://www.sportsanalog.com/2019/12/25/spending-spree-daniel-farke-aims-dig-at-aston-villa-ahead-of-relegation-clash/

Here's the entire article:

Norwich City boss Daniel Farke reckons Villa should be higher in the standings after their spending spree in the summer.

Farke was discussing Dean Smith ‘s team ahead of the relegation clash between the two sides on Boxing Day.

Both teams came up from the Championship in the summer, Norwich winning the League and Villa sneaking up through the play-offs.

Pulitzer Prize for the reporter.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

"Farke with dig at Smith on his press conference ahead of the relegation clash and feels Villa should be higher after their spending spree in the summer."

https://www.sportsanalog.com/2019/12/25/spending-spree-daniel-farke-aims-dig-at-aston-villa-ahead-of-relegation-clash/

Pin that on the dressing room wall. Team talk done. 

I cant see DS making it in the PL.We could not score enough points/wins before our injury problem and now we have to do 100% better with 2 of our best players injured and Wesley probably still leading the line.

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's a pretty dumb point to be honest. Ultimately we had to spend big because several of our key players last season were loans and thus needed signing permanently or replaced (Abraham, Mings, Tuanzebe and El Ghazi) and then we had a number of players who were old and no where near the required standard for this level, all with contracts about to end (Whelan, Adomah, Hutton, Jedinak etc). We then had players who just aren't good enough for this level and going no where (Taylor, Chester, Steer, Nyland, Kodjia etc). 

We basically had to spend a lot of money just to have a shot at staying up. Now I do accept that money wasn't necessarily spent all that well, especially on Wesley and Trezeguet and the jury being out on the likes of Luiz. 

But ultimately when you look at the very low base we were starting from, which incidentally was a lot lower than Norwich's, we simply had to spend big money and despite the sum total being large, that would never have been enough to get us much higher than bottom 5 in the league.

On 24/12/2019 at 11:10, villalad21 said:

Whelan and Jedinak would 100 % have worked under Allardyce.

Can guarantee you that we wouldn't be anywhere near the bottom 3 with Allardyce in charge.

Smith is inexperienced at this level and it's showing. But then again so is Wilder, but Wilder's style of play is much more effective as a promoted team.

but that suggests its nothing to do with experience its to do with Physicality,Organisation and discipline.....Thats the difference between the  2.....Chris Wilder has created the necessary building blocks to build confidence on, he has built on Concrete.....we have built on Sand, that is another reason why new players struggle......there is no strong framework for them to settle in to.

Dean wants to play swashbuckling football, but our players are not good enough, with the exception of Jack.....so we have to rely on resolute defending and denying the opposition time and space.......to do that, one of the things is being first to the ball and second balls, lately we are not.....we are soft as an entity....too easily beaten to the ball and knocked off it when we have it.

I don't want to be writing this, I really don't.....but I refuse to be blind to it.

I hope we see a spark of something later.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 24/12/2019 at 10:47, TRO said:

You tell Chris Wilder and Daniel Farke that our players are cheap, you might get a laugh.

the rendition you present is very noble and yes Dean deserves credit for last year.....the sort of football you champion is also shared by us all, but sadly it has turned in to naive football and that is certainly not very attractive....in short the prince has turned in to a frog.

Every team goes through a difficult patch, this is where Dean earns his corn and takes effective action to rid the team of these alarming errors thats dragging us down.

Dean had a difficult situation in terms of personnel to take over from, but equally he was left with such gems as MCGinn, Grealish,Abraham to work with....£130 million is no snip in anyones language, not top quality, but nevertheless, some managers would be envious.

Dean done a good job last season......now he had to earn his spurs in a league, we all craved for....he now has to prove he has got what it takes to sit at the top table.

41 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's a pretty dumb point to be honest. Ultimately we had to spend big because several of our key players last season were loans and thus needed signing permanently or replaced (Abraham, Mings, Tuanzebe and El Ghazi) and then we had a number of players who were old and no where near the required standard for this level, all with contracts about to end (Whelan, Adomah, Hutton, Jedinak etc). We then had players who just aren't good enough for this level and going no where (Taylor, Chester, Steer, Nyland, Kodjia etc). 

We basically had to spend a lot of money just to have a shot at staying up. Now I do accept that money wasn't necessarily spent all that well, especially on Wesley and Trezeguet and the jury being out on the likes of Luiz. 

But ultimately when you look at the very low base we were starting from, which incidentally was a lot lower than Norwich's, we simply had to spend big money and despite the sum total being large, that would never have been enough to get us much higher than bottom 5 in the league.

so how much did Sheff Utd's team cost to assemble?

We did the same in the late 70's and early eighties.....its all about getting the right players, square pegs in sqare holes etc and even in those days we paid modest fee's in comparison.........it seems to me our priority is are they available......when have we last tracked a player that we really want and signed him?, becuse he was right for us?

for me, in general....I think we sign the wrong players....its like we get 1 in 5 or so right.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

We did the same in the late 70's and early eighties.....its all about getting the right players, square pegs in sqare holes etc and even in those days we paid modest fee's in comparison.........it seems to me our priority is are they available......when have we last tracked a player that we really want and signed him?, becuse he was right for us?

for me, in general....I think we sign the wrong players....its like we get 1 in 5 or so right.

Exactly. What we did was dumb.

Bought a bunch of unknowns hoping them to settle and adapt.

And i know the English marked is more expensive but it would be less of a gamble.

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

but that suggests its nothing to do with experience its to do with Physicality,Organisation and discipline.....Thats the difference between the  2.....Chris Wilder has created the necessary building blocks to build confidence on, he has built on Concrete.....we have built on Sand, that is another reason why new players struggle......there is no strong framework for them to settle in to.

Dean wants to play swashbuckling football, but our players are not good enough, with the exception of Jack.....so we have to rely on resolute defending and denying the opposition time and space.......to do that, one of the things is being first to the ball and second balls, lately we are not.....we are soft as an entity....too easily beaten to the ball and knocked off it when we have it.

I don't want to be writing this, I really don't.....but I refuse to be blind to it.

I hope we see a spark of something latter.

Wilder is inexperienced at this level but i just think he is a better coach.

Smith got no clue how to organize a defense and it's suicide in this league.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with you about the work rate etc and the whole thing has been done to death on here but you can’t underestimate the attitude in the squad built up over years. It’s much easier to get players with the right attitude if you’re buying a couple every summer and it makes it easier for a few luxury players to build on a hardworking core. Really difficult to get all players with the right attitude from the outset if you have to buy half a squad in one window.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And i know the English marked is more expensive but it would be less of a gamble.

I dunno, I think buying English players at 3 times the cost with a summer spend of £300m+ would have been a pretty big gamble. Particularly as we’d immediately fail FFP.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Wilder is inexperienced at this level but i just think he is a better coach.

Smith got no clue how to organize a defense and it's suicide in this league.

Just explain to me what John Terry does?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Exactly. What we did was dumb.

Bought a bunch of unknowns hoping them to settle and adapt.

so we should have spent £300 million on 12 players, because we needed so many players

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Just explain to me what John Terry does?

He's an assistant coach. He isn't directly responsible for the defense. An assistant coach is just the head coach's second hand following their orders.

JT can do whatever drills with the defense but at the end of the day it's Smith who set's the instructions, team shape and tactics.

• Like 1

Â