Dean Smith

Demitri_C

In the last 10 games we played all of the current top 6 including the currently undisputed top 4 teams. We've come away from that run with 11 points and just a -2 hit on goal difference.

Anybody who would have expected more from that going into this run of 10 games is either lying or not moored in reality.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I just think the timing on that new contract was wrong.

If Smith takes us down he should get the sack imo. Because it proves he doesn't got what it takes at this level.

Im not Smith out btw.

Dyche took Burney down, did that prove he doesn't have what it takes at this level?

Besides, Smith most certainly has proven that he had what it takes to get out of the Championship, so sacking him should we go down would be stupid imo. 

53 minutes ago, av1 said:

Dyche took Burney down, did that prove he doesn't have what it takes at this level?

Besides, Smith most certainly has proven that he had what it takes to get out of the Championship, so sacking him should we go down would be stupid imo. 

But in contrast to Smith, Dyche actually knows how to organize a defense, the foundation to any successful football team.

Apart from that 10 game winning run Smith haven't showed he is able to do that, even at Championship level.

Also his stubbornness with Wesley and 4-3-3 is killing us at the moment.

I'm all for consistency with the right coach, but if Smith is unable to improve us defensively he won't be the right man long term.

433 is fine. We're a newly promoted side that qualified through play offs. We got a completely new team this summer and are learning and gelling as we go. We still have given both Man Utd and Liverpool a proper fight for 3 points. We're outside the relegation zone after a very tough run of matches. Some perspective is needed. 

You're right about Wesley mind. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't disagree.....and the performance against Liverpool was commendable for 87 minutes too.

But we need to fix our issues......otherwise those games you are looking to for salvation, will be gone and up in smoke.

Southampton are turning things around.....Watford have Pearson in Charge and Deeney back, they will be up for it......Everton have big Dunc rallying the troops......These teams are fighting back and nobody wants the trap door.

My Point is....(and you can bin it for all I care, but I have said it)..............If we do not improve on some of the basics in the game, That i have mentioned in my posts, we will lose against our rivals......we ignore these issues at our peril.

Man U was a fine result, but it doesn't go unnoticed that when they upped the intensity against Man City, they got a result......We caught Man U on a good day for us, that's not taking anything away for us, just reality.....Interesting how Chelsea reacted to Frank after 2 defeats and out fought us.

You have to compete in this league and that does not mean running around chasing rainbows and building up mileage.....Its purposeful activity.

There's no denying that what you are saying is right. Yesterday, they players looked very stroppy and ill-disciplined after Leicester got their third. It was by far the worst they had looked in terms of mentality. 

That team needs a striker that looks like he can score and gives the rest confidence. Right now, take Grealish out of that side and you wonder how on earth we're going to score. McGinn looks empty of anything positive and El Ghazi missed our clearest chances. Unfortunately, the rest looked like rabbits caught in headlights yesterday. 

Leicester aren't individually miles better than us but, when it comes to effort and guile, they were in a different league. 

One final thing. Deano needs to put Jack back behind the striker. Playing him wide has seen him score more goals but he just does not stay in that position and we lose the shape of our team. He's a maverick who drifts into the centre too often and there was no surprise that 60% of Leicester's attacks came down our left side in the first half. They knew Targett would be left exposed. 

28 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

433 is fine. We're a newly promoted side that qualified through play offs. We got a completely new team this summer and are learning and gelling as we go. We still have given both Man Utd and Liverpool a proper fight for 3 points. We're outside the relegation zone after a very tough run of matches. Some perspective is needed. 

You're right about Wesley mind. 

We will probably have to get some unexpected wins if we are to stay up. We're not going to win against the teams around us every single time.

Even Lambert and McLeish manged to get some wins from the big 6 every now and then. And without them wins we probably would have been relegated.

Even Bruce has gotten 2 wins and a draw against MAn U, Spurs and Man City. 

Edited by villalad21

We will get unexpected wins. It's a long season. 

Try and be positive about where we are and where we've recently been. Makes life a bit easier following this club. 

Overreacting every time we lose a match is just pointless. 

The way I see it there's only two things we can legitemately complain about. And that's Wesley still playing and Deano doing the same mistakes over and over. Like playing McGinn too advanced. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We will get unexpected wins. It's a long season. 

Try and be positive about where we are and where we've recently been. Makes life a bit easier following this club. 

Overreacting every time we lose a match is just pointless. 

The way I see it there's only two things we can legitemately complain about. And that's Wesley still playing and Deano doing the same mistakes over and over. Like playing McGinn too advanced. 

I don’t agree with you sometimes. But this post, especially the part in bold is spot on! 

We really need to bounce back with a result against Sheffield United. The players looked demoralised yesterday against a very good Leicester team. It’s the first time I’ve seen them look like that.  

It can't be true surely, but sometimes it feel as though myself and the people who like my posts (whether by actually pressing the like button or smiling in agreement as they read them) are the only ones with any sense of perspective or balance, yes of course Smith's job shouldn't be in any danger and overall it hasn't been a disastrous start, but at the same time it's okay to admit that things aren't going brilliantly currently and to express concern. We've lost five of the last seven and won only one of them, Vengloš, O'Leary, Taylor, McLeish, Houllier and Lamert all did better after sixteen games in all their seasons with us, if we're to have any chance of staying up we need to improve and do better, it's no good being passive about our current situation and pretend everything is going brilliantly.

Edited by useless
Lambert only had fifteen points after sixteen games in his first season and an inferior goal difference.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

But in contrast to Smith, Dyche actually knows how to organize a defense, the foundation to any successful football team.

Why did they go down then?

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Apart from that 10 game winning run Smith haven't showed he is able to do that, even at Championship level.

That's kind of a big thing to dismiss. 

50 minutes ago, useless said:

It can't be true surely, but sometimes it feel as though myself and the people who like my posts (whether by actually pressing the like button or smiling in agreement as they read them) are the only ones with any sense of perspective or balance, yes of course Smith's job shouldn't be in any danger and overall it hasn't been a disastrous start, but at the same time it's okay to admit that things aren't going brilliantly currently and to express concern. We've lost five of the last seven and won only one of them, Vengloš, O'Leary, Taylor, McLeish, Houllier and Lamert all did better after sixteen games in all their seasons with us, if we're to have any chance of staying up we need to improve and do better, it's no good being passive about our current situation and pretend everything is going brilliantly.

You could argue that all of those managers had a stronger backbone to the squad than we did when we came up this year.

So the starting points of those managers was better than Smith's

Edited by New_Hope

1 hour ago, useless said:

You are aware that the last 7 games, 6 of them were the top 6 in the prem last season. 

I'm amazed how overlooked this is. 

We've had a horrendous fixture list recently and yet there we are still in 17th. 

Let's see where we are after the next 7

I'm finding it difficult to know what side I am on when it comes to Dean at the moment.

With a glass half full we've been in a lot of games this season against the bigger teams and played well in most games. We're scoring goals and look a threat going forwards.

On the other side we can't seem to defend or see out games and we've basically lost every game you would have expected us to and we're level on points with the 18th placed team after half a season. 

I'm certainly not in the Smith out group but even his biggest supporters would have to admit that we could well be 10 places higher in the table with a different manager in charge. You only have to look at Newcastle managed by Steve Bruce who was a laughing stock here and got hounded out of the club and they are currently 7 points higher in the table and beating the better teams, it doesn't fill me with confidence about how we are playing at the moment.

Having spent a 120 million in the summer things could definitely be better.

Edited by AVFCDAN

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I just think the timing on that new contract was wrong.

If Smith takes us down he should get the sack imo. Because it proves he doesn't got what it takes at this level.

Im not Smith out btw.

Me too - I can only think he was promised a new contract on promotion - but given he had a good whack of his contract to run, and this season could still end badly - It just seemed strange to extend his contract.

I don't believe it will have any impact on way or the other on results - it just means we have a whacking payout should we decide to bin DS.

Â