Dean Smith

Demitri_C

One win in seven and I'd be surprised if it's anything other than one win in eight after next weekend, that's a woeful return by anyone's standards, I don't think we can point to the level of the opposition either, eight games is nearly half of the league if we can't do better than one win in that run, then that doesn't reflect well on us whichever way you look at it. Over three or four games against tough opposition having a bad run of form is understandable, but when it gets to seven and eight games not so much, before it gets to that point you need to pull off a few surprise results like our relegation rivals have shown they're capable of doing, we haven't even beaten anyone half decent yet. Smith's got some work to do to show that he's going to be a good manager in this league, the head honchos will be watching on.

Just now, useless said:

One win in seven and I'd be surprised if it's anything other than one win in eight after next weekend, that's a woeful return by anyone's standards, I don't think we can point to the level of the opposition either, eight games is nearly half of the league if we can't do better than one win in that run, then that doesn't reflect well on us whichever way you look at it. Over three or four games against tough opposition having a bad run of form is understandable, but when it gets to seven and eight games not so much, before it gets to that point you need to pull off a few surprise results like our relegation rivals have shown they're capable of doing, we haven't even beaten anyone half decent yet. Smith's got some work to do to show that he's going to be a good manager in this league, the head honchos will be watching on.

Yes if it was 8 teams spread throughout the league but it happened to be 6 of the top 8!

I still think Deano will keep us up but he's got to add to that forward line in the January window and also sort the defence out. But, if we get a forward who puts himself about, maybe the ball doesn't come towards our goal so often and so easily. After all, defence is supposed to start from the front. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just a small matter of being 4th bottom and winning 3 out of 4 games. 

Against 3 teams lower than us 😉

But let's not let facts or our record against the bottom teams get in the way shall we?

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Nobody's suggesting for a moment that that's what DS is doing or should be doing. A week ago we picked up a well-fought point away at Old Trafford.

But our season will be largely defined by the six pointers against our relegation rivals.

I don't disagree.....and the performance against Liverpool was commendable for 87 minutes too.

But we need to fix our issues......otherwise those games you are looking to for salvation, will be gone and up in smoke.

Southampton are turning things around.....Watford have Pearson in Charge and Deeney back, they will be up for it......Everton have big Dunc rallying the troops......These teams are fighting back and nobody wants the trap door.

My Point is....(and you can bin it for all I care, but I have said it)..............If we do not improve on some of the basics in the game, That i have mentioned in my posts, we will lose against our rivals......we ignore these issues at our peril.

Man U was a fine result, but it doesn't go unnoticed that when they upped the intensity against Man City, they got a result......We caught Man U on a good day for us, that's not taking anything away for us, just reality.....Interesting how Chelsea reacted to Frank after 2 defeats and out fought us.

You have to compete in this league and that does not mean running around chasing rainbows and building up mileage.....Its purposeful activity.

• Like 1

Just read the match report on gov  propaganda channel bb*c. then watched the two managers post match presser.

Rogers talked in depth about how his diamond nullified Villa midfield. Smith said the game wasn't tactical at all, long balls over the top for Vardy were the difference.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't disagree.....and the performance against Liverpool was commendable for 87 minutes too.

But we need to fix our issues......otherwise those games you are looking to for salvation, will be gone and up in smoke.

Southampton are turning things around.....Watford have Pearson in Charge and Deeney back, they will be up for it......Everton have big Dunc rallying the troops......These teams are fighting back and nobody wants the trap door.

My Point is....(and you can bin it for all I care, but I have said it)..............If we do not improve on some of the basics in the game, That i have mentioned in my posts, we will lose against our rivals......we ignore these issues at our peril.

Man U was a fine result, but it doesn't go unnoticed that when they upped the intensity against Man City, they got a result......We caught Man U on a good day for us, that's not taking anything away for us, just reality.....Interesting how Chelsea reacted to Frank after 2 defeats and out fought us.

You have to compete in this league and that does not mean running around chasing rainbows and building up mileage.....Its purposeful activity.

There can never be any excuses for a lack of intensity. And it seems to be happening all too often. At times the players looked totally at a loss In what to do. 

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

This is poppy cock

Was going to say the same thing. 

How someone can seriously argue it’s irrelevant who the opposition is is, frankly, beyond laughable.

I would choose my words more diplomatically, but “poppycock” deserves “ laughable”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

....plodding along awaiting for easier games to arrive is no strategy.

Honestly it’s getting worse. 
What a ridiculous comment. 
Of course that isn’t his strategy.

Best have a lie down.

• Like 2

What has DS done to deserve a new long term contract? 

Not calling for him to be sacked before anyone spits there dummy.

But what has he shown us to deserve a new 4 year deal? How many other managers have had similar new deals put to them when they have a 25% win rate in a season?

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

What has DS done to deserve a new long term contract? 

Not calling for him to be sacked before anyone spits there dummy.

But what has he shown us to deserve a new 4 year deal? How many other managers have had similar new deals put to them when they have a 25% win rate in a season?

Only 8 teams have more than 1 win than us

Â