Dean Smith

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure why people are treating this as a profound statement worthy of rejoicing.

It looks like a fairly routine, motherhood and apple-pie statement of how management works.

It’s also a process we've seen over and over again at Villa in recent years. 

New manager comes in, tries to get squad to play his way, fails, decides they’re no good, buys new players, leaves/gets the sack, new manager comes in, tries to get the squad to play his way, etc.

I guess we just have to hope this time it’s different but I’m not going to part with any cash on the promise...

Mate he literally said within the quote "Thats how the Industry works" so I don't think anyone is trying to make it look a profound statement.

Just using it to drive the feeling that some of our players are not good enough to play the type of game he requires etc.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" .

They might be the most naturally gifted but that counts for nothing if they can't be assed and/or not  willing to be integrated into this culture.

There are several mitigating factors.

PLUS he more than likely will be referring to 2 or 3 bad apples(Not the overall squad) so I don't get the purpose of the attempt to negatively spin this.

Well that sounds better!

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure why people are treating this as a profound statement worthy of rejoicing.

It looks like a fairly routine, motherhood and apple-pie statement of how management works.

It’s also a process we've seen over and over again at Villa in recent years. 

New manager comes in, tries to get squad to play his way, fails, decides they’re no good, buys new players, leaves/gets the sack, new manager comes in, tries to get the squad to play his way, etc.

I guess we just have to hope this time it’s different but I’m not going to part with any cash on the promise...

well, I'm hoping it will change....but I have no evidence to suggest it might.

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate he literally said within the quote "Thats how the Industry works" so I don't think anyone is trying to make it look a profound statement.

Just using it to drive the feeling that some of our players are not good enough to play the type of game he requires etc.

They might not have been good enough to play the game Bruce required either.....Hence why so many were deployed to defend.

• Like 1

Just like Steve he says all the right things but doesn't actually have the testicles to put his reputation on the line and actually follow through on any of it.

Stick with the 'safe hands' and the 'experienced old heads' and it is there neck on the line and not my fault!

• Like 1

There's definitely a bit of a disconnect between what he says and what he actually does. Yet again he's churning out the same team and the same tactics, a central midfield three that delivers very little creativity, under performing fullbacks remaining in the side as well, no sense of changing things up, not seemingly bothering to try a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2. It's just not inspiring, at some point he's going to have actually do something different to Bruce, tactically at least. 

We might well win today, but that's because of how poor and depleted Ipswich are. 4-5-1 with Hourihane and Whelan in just will not work going forward. If your best player is out you often have to try something different. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

We have 2 of the best strikers in the league in Kodjia and Abraham. Why not try 4-4-2?

I don't get why he is so stubborn on this 4-3-3 formation that doesn't work without Axel and Jack, it doesn't work and it's so obvious for everyone to see.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Just like Steve he says all the right things but doesn't actually have the testicles to put his reputation on the line and actually follow through on any of it.

Stick with the 'safe hands' and the 'experienced old heads' and it is there neck on the line and not my fault!

Might help if he brings in his own players. Just a thought. 

Oh dear,  Green must be pissed off. Better get a win today, another performance like the last two and big questions have to be asked as to why we are picking the same formation with the same players failing 

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

But he hasn't had a pre season or signed a load of players, How is he expected to try and change the formation 🙄 ......

I think some people need to get used to the idea that this is a long term thing. That smith will have a system and a style and we will build to that. We won't chop and change and try random things in the hope of short term fixes. 

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

Oh dear,  Green must be pissed off. Better get a win today, another performance like the last two and big questions have to be asked as to why we are picking the same formation with the same players failing 

Out injured apparently

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think some people need to get used to the idea that this is a long term thing. That smith will have a system and a style and we will build to that. We won't chop and change and try random things in the hope of short term fixes. 

Yes he does, that's why the majority of us where delighted when he joined. However we're not seeing enough evidence of him implementing this or evolving how we play. We're increasingly looking and playing like we did under Bruce. I trust that Smith will get there eventually but it's concerning that he's presenting little in the way of fresh ideas right now.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I said it when he joined; His hair is a disgrace. It was a warning sign for me.

Steve Bruce made the change when he arrived. Is he ginger? Is he going white? Can we get someone who knows something about hair have a look at it with him. It's all cowlicks, and he needs to stop slicking back the sides. Just tighten the sides up, let the top lengthen a little bit to do away with the cowlicks and then bit of product and a messy spike.

Until he does that we won't win anything. It looks like he's getting a 5 and a 4 and then letting it grow out for a few weeks, which is unacceptable. You're in the big leagues now pal.

dean_smith_manager_of_brentford_looks_on

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Steve Bruce called, he wants his substitutions back.

Hopefully he will, all the way to sheffield. 

Don't worry though, after the summer there will be little left of that shit manager here. 

Â