Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

True - but if I read the original post correctly - The question was  that in 1977/8 when he hit a sticky patch no one was calling for his head. His good work prior came into play.

Old deadly was certainly calling for his head, having said that i was replying to the original post that 1 win in 9 was laughable, and stating that such runs can happen to the best of managers.

Think Smith needs until this time next season to start to be judged fairly, would be unfair to use such hyperbole  after only what is relatively a hand full of matches.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Well clearing in the woods face Bruce making a swift U-turn from being ready to walk out on us to suddenly being the best man for the job then royally **** this season up, so the middle season thing does not matter that much on this occasion I would say.

How do we know he is a bang average manager? Hes had to walk into the sgit Bruce left behind and fair play to him for having the Kahoona's to do it as like I said, many a 'decent' manager would have turned their nose up at the job given the shit start Bruce has left us in.

I can't answer your final part as we have not been in the Championship before, but if I recall correctly it was Graham Taylor before being snapped up by England in 1988/89?

Yes it was Graham Taylor widely regarded as one of the top managers around - wasn't even mentioned in the betting as it didn't seem feasible he would join us.

I would disagree on the pull of Aston Villa - I think a lot of managers (perhaps 90% of championship managers) would jump at the chance to manage us. 

Just now, praisedmambo said:

Hippo has really ratcheted up his secret Dean Smith hate today. Now it's all out in the open. I wonder what'll happen by Friday.

Friday ? - We haven't got any games before then ?

If we win on Saturday - I will on here saying he is the best thing since sliced bread and we oughta tie to a longer contract as Jventus will be sniffing around him !

Another rumour I heard today is that Mickey Mouse wears a Dean Smith watch.  

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Friday ? - We haven't got any games before then ?

If we win on Saturday - I will on here saying he is the best thing since sliced bread and we oughta tie to a longer contract as Jventus will be sniffing around him !

Another rumour I heard today is that Mickey Mouse wears a Dean Smith watch.  

I think on Sunday you were pretending that you agreed he needed time. Nothing has happened in the interim and yet last night you suddenly exploded with a bit of vitriol and this morning you've gone into overdrive. It doesn't appear you require games in order to escalate, so I'm wondering what will happen by Friday.

EDIT: To be fair to yourself you didn't even give him a game before you criticised him. For the sake of adding something reasonable, you may think he's a tin-pot manager but he's not done badly at the previous two clubs—you really have no idea how he might do with better resources at a much bigger club. So your judgement is still premature.

EDIT 2: And you weren't saying all this when we were beating Boro/Derby and looking good with Jack and Axel in the team.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I think on Sunday you were pretending that you agreed he needed time. Nothing has happened in the interim and yet last night you suddenly exploded with a bit of vitriol and this morning you've gone into overdrive. It doesn't appear you require games in order to escalate, so I'm wondering what will happen by Friday.

EDIT: To be fair to yourself you didn't even give him a game before you criticised him. For the sake of adding something reasonable, you may think he's a tin-pot manager but he's not done badly at the previous two clubs—you really have no idea how he might do with better resources at a much bigger club. So your judgement is still premature.

EDIT 2: And you weren't saying all this when we were beating Boro/Derby and looking good with Jack and Axel in the team.

I’m going to depend Hippo with that one. He is been a sceptic throughout. 

17 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Initially I was thinking 'thank fook' we didn't end up with Henry.

I don't rate him - but being serious, having appointed him he does need more time. I can't accept that he needs 90% of the squad to be his own before making any sort of impact - If we finish around half way, then he gets, and deserves  next season - Much below half way and I think we should look hard at his position. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

To continue from above, surely finishing 9th with a club like Brentford is good.

Look at the record of Graham Turner at Shrewsbury - better than smith at Brentford, and with a reputation of building from a sound defence. Totally bombed at Villa. 

23 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

To continue from above, surely finishing 9th with a club like Brentford is good.

No, because each player had their own sporting directors, each with the kind of support Ivan Drago had in Rocky IV. Smith was merely the face of this. Little more than an automoton.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, hippo said:

Initially I was thinking 'thank fook' we didn't end up with Henry.

I don't rate him - but being serious, having appointed him he does need more time. I can't accept that he needs 90% of the squad to be his own before making any sort of impact - If we finish around half way, then he gets, and deserves  next season - Much below half way and I think we should look hard at his position. 

I more or less agee. I hope we can do better this season personally. I'll live in hope. Be nice if we won on Saturday. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, hippo said:

I can't accept that he needs 90% of the squad to be his own before making any sort of impact - If we finish around half way, then he gets, and deserves  next season - Much below half way and I think we should look hard at his position. 

He won't have a say in the matter come June when 3/4 of the squad will be gone anyway.

He made an impact on his first arrival and suddenly some of the players have turned lacklustre in their perfomances.

Most of the 3/4 are 'Di Matteo & Bruce deadwood' anyway imo.

It was never going to be instant success.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

26 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He made an impact on his first arrival and suddenly some of the players have turned lacklustre in their perfomances.

It was never going to be instant success.

But Villa did start playing much better football when DS arrived. It’s no coincidence that the downturn in performances coincided with the injuries to Grealish and Tuanzebe.

Any team would suffer from their two best players being out injured.

I think the criticism of DS is a little premature at the moment.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I can't believe your going back over 35 years to compare Dean Smith against in a game that has changed so many times in that time.

I was responding ...it wasnt who raised Saunders as a comparison 

10 minutes ago, striker said:

But Villa did start playing much better football when DS arrived. It’s no coincidence that the downturn in performances coincided with the injuries to Grealish and Tuanzebe.

Any team would suffer from their two best players being out injured.

I think the criticism of DS is a little premature at the moment.

Correct and I also agree the loss if Jack and Axel was a blow.. others should have stepped up equally.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Think about Smith in the context of the club as a whole. Purslow is trying to transform Villa into a club with a long-term strategy - a recruitment strategy built around youth and a specific playing style, which means the next time we change coach, we won't have the same upheaval across the club. It also means players will feel more confident coming here because they'll know what sort of setup they're coming into, and it means clubs will be more confident loaning youth players for the same reason.

Dean Smith might not be the man who's going to win the Premier League, or even get us promoted, but what he will do is work in line with the club's long-term strategy, not go to the press complaining about lack of resources, and not change his tactics every week out of desperation for results.

The results for other clubs that have followed this approach have generally been positive. Changing your philosophy every season is expensive, it damages the progression of young players, and it hurts the morale of established pros. At the moment, unfortunately, we're going through that process out of necessity.

Criticise DS for poor substitutions, in-game mistakes, by all means. Call him out if he says something stupid in the press. But if he's doing broadly sensible things and results aren't going our way in the short term, try to stay positive. We're trying to turn around two decades of mismanagement.

No way.  That sounds far too reasonable.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

True - but if I read the original post correctly - The question was  that in 1977/8 when he hit a sticky patch no one was calling for his head. His good work prior came into play.

Different times I guess. I bet if we had ‘tinterweb back then there would be somebody having a pop. Back in the, “good old days” , if you were racked off about something, you’d moan to your mates at work or in the pub, now we can sprout off to the whole world. So suddenly a  bloke getting something off his chest becomes a big deal, where in reality  it probably isn’t. That’s progress for you. 

29 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Think about Smith in the context of the club as a whole. Purslow is trying to transform Villa into a club with a long-term strategy - a recruitment strategy built around youth and a specific playing style, which means the next time we change coach, we won't have the same upheaval across the club. It also means players will feel more confident coming here because they'll know what sort of setup they're coming into, and it means clubs will be more confident loaning youth players for the same reason.

Dean Smith might not be the man who's going to win the Premier League, or even get us promoted, but what he will do is work in line with the club's long-term strategy, not go to the press complaining about lack of resources, and not change his tactics every week out of desperation for results.

The results for other clubs that have followed this approach have generally been positive. Changing your philosophy every season is expensive, it damages the progression of young players, and it hurts the morale of established pros. At the moment, unfortunately, we're going through that process out of necessity.

Criticise DS for poor substitutions, in-game mistakes, by all means. Call him out if he says something stupid in the press. But if he's doing broadly sensible things and results aren't going our way in the short term, try to stay positive. We're trying to turn around two decades of mismanagement.

That’s a great post, spot on. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

What other clubs has this generally been postive for ?

what actually is it we have done that suggests some long term strategy is in place ?

As far as I can see we have sacked bruce and brought in smith...

not that I would know a long term strategy if there was one - nor do I want to criticise the new owners - but how do you know such a plan is in place. ...Stoke have appointed Nathan Jones recently ...is that a long term plan ?

personally I dont think long terms plans exist ...if DS doesnt cut it next season ..hes off...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Â