Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We gave it a good go from what I've seen.

Unlucky though and that's how it goes in these games of which was never going to be easy.

Let's hope Deano has a better slection available to him come the next game. If he does then I think we will get something from it.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its a quick sand you can easily slip in to......but today, was not a day to be too critical.

we played with a lot of intensity and purpose, much better than previous games, we was much quicker to the ball in the first half paticularly.....Mendy, might not play that well all season, we was unlucky, despite their defending being sublime.

that second goal ,killed us....and it shouldn't have happened.

It's nice when a loss doesnt feel too bad. When you see effort and endeavour like that it can only bode well especially as the players haven't had time to gel properly yet. Really looking forward to Everton at Villa Park next week. 

Edited by birdman
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I'm far from sold on the idea of playing 5 3 2. Dont know many teams that succeed with that formation. I suspect it will soon switch back to a back 4 which I think is better for us. 

I think it’s a good option, and was the right option today. Good to see Smith showing some tactical flexibility.

The big question he’s going to have all season is how to accommodate all his attacking talent.

But I agree usually I prefer a back 4

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I'm far from sold on the idea of playing 5 3 2. Dont know many teams that succeed with that formation. I suspect it will soon switch back to a back 4 which I think is better for us. 

I think it was brought in to protect Steer  but was also the right game to try it. I dont think we were so bad but I am not sure if its a long term plan

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I didn't want Dean Smith as our manager. How wrong was I , I absolutely love the bloke. Tries to play football the right way, gives it a go, and then always tells it like it is. He is totally central to our success so far and in the future, long may he be our manager.

Why did you not want him as manager?!

I remember when Dean Smith’s Brentford absolutely made a mockery out of us under Bruce and I absolutely wished that he was our manager!

I love him and I love how we play and I am happy that we are a solid side moving in the right direction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danishlad said:

just wondered which tactics we played today? a few on here eating humble pie maybe

I think that I might have to give up on trying to predict how he's going to play on any given day. He's become too unpredictable.

So far this year we've started 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 (sort of 4-1-2-3), and 3-5-2, and have also used 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-2.

He has the players to be flexible and he is being flexible. This is good.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a 3-0 loss that much.

Superb performance.

How we didn't score I don't know.

A slice here and a scuff there then that bleeding Mendy was everywhere. And for back up they had twatwell. If it wasn't for him we would have had 24+ shots as he pulled back some of our turnovers the cheat.

Superb performance indeed (except the finishing). 

Tactics Dean has arrived.

Quite pleased wit the performance and how well set up and organised we were. I don't think we will see this formation often however I think I am starting the believe Dean has got a lot more in his locker than he gets credit for on the whole.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Tactics Dean has arrived.

Quite pleased wit the performance and how well set up and organised we were. I don't think we will see this formation often however I think I am starting the believe Dean has got a lot more in his locker than he gets credit for on the whole.

Believe he was always there.

A good manager sets the team up to suit the players skill level. He now has better players he can trust to carry out more complex tactics.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

Can't see us sticking with 5-3-2 

If we do then what is the point with the Bailey and Buendia signings 

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Believe he was always there.

A good manager sets the team up to suit the players skill level. He now has better players he can trust to carry out more complex tactics.

No I disagree with that. 

Do you think Pep will change tactics to suit Jack? Of course not. 

A good manager shouldn't adapt to his players. The players should adapt to the manager. 

Italy traditionally has played a 3 at the back system. Mancini didn't care about any of that. Players had to adapt to him and his usual 4 3 3 system. 

Â