Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Its a tough one as they have different strengths. Watkins is the better presser, willing runner and will work the channels more while Ings has the better positioning and clinical finish. If Smith could borrow Jeff Goldblum's machine from The Fly then we would have a world class player on our hands! 

For me it isn't a tough one at all. 

But we all have different opinions on players. 

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not once under Smith have we ever looked the embarrassment Leeds have been this first 30 mins.

I can't begin to imagine the pant wetting.

Leeds have conceded 11 in 4 now. They have what is starting to look like a must-win against Newcastle next week - insane to say this early in the season but if they lose that they will lose a few more now and then a Bielsa implosion would see him walk. Shame as I like their football.

On Smith - I’m delighted to see him adding some tactical flexibility into his game and we would have beaten most teams in the league this weekend. Would be great if teams couldn’t name our starting line-up in advance - if we could go 3-5-2, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 it will keep people guessing a lot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I would say that makes sense the first year at the club. 

But after many transfer windows and money spent the manager can buy the players that suit his system. At that point it's the opposite. 

Players needs to adapt to him. Not the other way around. 

I see this entirely the opposite way. After three years at a club is when I expect the manager to have had enough time on the training field with players to be able to switch between different tactical systems as he thinks best for any given game.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I see this entirely the opposite way. After three years at a club is when I expect the manager to have had enough time on the training field with players to be able to switch between different tactical systems as he thinks best for any given game.

Yep, if you can't adapt and are stuck in a system like Bielsa, you will go stale.

For the very first time on Saturday it was clear to see the quality we have to change a game. Bringing Bailey and Traore off the bench, with Buendia still to return, in a game in which we had already had multiple opportunities to make our mark. A game in which we already had Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings leading the line. 

He has the tools now, he just has to figure out how best to utilise them. I was impressed with his flexibility in going to 3 at the back, not sure the change in shape later on helped us but it was there and he will hopefully have learned something from it. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

For the very first time on Saturday it was clear to see the quality we have to change a game. Bringing Bailey and Traore off the bench, with Buendia still to return, in a game in which we had already had multiple opportunities to make our mark. A game in which we already had Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings leading the line. 

He has the tools now, he just has to figure out how best to utilise them. I was impressed with his flexibility in going to 3 at the back, not sure the change in shape later on helped us but it was there and he will hopefully have learned something from it. 

See I felt when Ramsey went off that we seemed to really lose our rhythm going forward, not a knock on Bailey but I felt that had a bigger effect on us than conceding the second goal.

I agree that it’s exciting to see that we’ve got options now, it’s not that long ago that our change in attack was Trez on for El Ghazi or vice versa.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He has options and I'd bet the board want to improve on our 11th place finish.

If we're struggling and hovering around relegation at Xmas, he'll be under pressure. 

Earlier than that if you believe what you read.

To me - madness to change coach if he keeps us midtable. Esp as any replacement imo would be a relative unknown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He has options and I'd bet the board want to improve on our 11th place finish.

If we're struggling and hovering around relegation at Xmas, he'll be under pressure. 

Who doesn't want to improve on our 11th place finish?

In case anyone has missed the fount of accurate football info that is Football Insider...

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-smith-fighting-for-his-job-at-aston-villa-as-manager-masterplan-revealed/

A Villa source has told Football Insider that Smith will be fighting for his job if the club do not climb up the table from their current 12th position

The reports on Football Insider and other clickbait rags make little sense. Saying he's under great pressure after 4 games is daft.

I think he has a lot of grace built up with the owners and he is well-liked and trusted. It would take a minimum of half a season of consistent struggle for him to come under the kind of pressure being speculated on in those reports.

FWIW I like Dean a lot and think he's probably the right man for us currently. I think he has his limitations but there isn't a laundry list of better managers who would want the job and who could come in straight away and improve us.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The reports on Football Insider and other clickbait rags make little sense. Saying he's under great pressure after 4 games is daft.

I think he has a lot of grace built up with the owners and he is well-liked and trusted. It would take a minimum of half a season of consistent struggle for him to come under the kind of pressure being speculated on in those reports.

FWIW I like Dean a lot and think he's probably the right man for us currently. I think he has his limitations but there isn't a laundry list of better managers who would want the job and who could come in straight away and improve us.

My sentiments exactly. 

14 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

See I felt when Ramsey went off that we seemed to really lose our rhythm going forward, not a knock on Bailey but I felt that had a bigger effect on us than conceding the second goal.

I agree that it’s exciting to see that we’ve got options now, it’s not that long ago that our change in attack was Trez on for El Ghazi or vice versa.

did the yellow, for JJ affect him?...did Dean see another yellow as a danger sign?

7 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Its just garbage, has less credibility than The Sun for example 

Â