Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've stayed up, put wolves back in their place and will finish above the darling of football Biesla. Success for me no matter what happens now. 

Think they will both get above us. Struggle to see us getting to 50 pts tbh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think the reason I get annoyed is because Smith doesn’t seem to try and change anything to get us working again. We have been awful for weeks but he mostly picks the same players in the same system! When he does change it, I rarely see the point of his changes. It makes no sense.

Only once since C-19 have I been happy with his starting midfield 3 and that was last week against Wolves. It actually worked really well so why effing change it tonight? It’s bonkers.

McGinn.......no!

Elmo.......no!

Ramsey........not yet he is not ready!

Play Trez if you want to play Barkley but if you are going for a solid midfield 3 then Trez....no!

Finally Dean..........no!!!!!!!!

Sort it out ffs 

How?

No mcginn, no elmo, no Ramsey... Replace them with who? Bearing in mind sanson and cash weren't fit

1 minute ago, Xela said:

We do look a bit tired and leggy now but we're going to finish the season on 50-52 points IMO, a huge improvement on last year. 

Few more players in the summer and we'll start next season in a very strong place

We do need more attacking options as we are void of ideas when Jack is out. I'm sure Dean knows that.

I hope jack stays and think he will. But we should be able to produce a performance of sorts without him

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

How?

No mcginn, no elmo, no Ramsey... Replace them with who? Bearing in mind sanson and cash weren't fit

How do you know they weren’t fit. In the squad so fit surely? If not then fair enough but why is he picking unfit players to sit on the bench? Sanson also looked fit when he came on.

Just now, VillanousOne said:

by that logic, wouldn't it have been better to use some of our promising youth stars who have been training with the 1st team, rather than a unfit player??? Why not put Bidace and big Chuk on the bench?

Chuk and Kesler played today 

Said in the match thread I think the PL is a bit stupid for that, they seemingly don't organise reserve / youth games around the first team games, if our reserves played Sunday then maybe we see some of them on the bench tonight, as it is them playing 90 mins this afternoon is better than an unused sub tonight 

Just now, hippo said:

I hope jack stays and think he will. But we should be able to produce a performance of sorts without him

Absolutely, I agree, the priority this summer should be attacking options. Another striker and at least one more wide player, ideally two. Then Jack can play as a 10. 

Just now, M_Afro said:

How do you know they weren’t fit. In the squad so fit surely? If not then fair enough but why is he picking unfit players to sit on the bench? Sanson also looked fit when he came on.

There's a difference between fit enough to start and fit enough to make the bench, he's choosing elmo over cash for any other reason

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Someone in the local Villa group chat, wants Dean sacked and Jack sold 😂😂😂

Will probably say that Lowe is leaving Germany in the summer or that allegri is available, at least Poch has a job so we can put that to bed 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Chuk and Kesler played today 

Said in the match thread I think the PL is a bit stupid for that, they seemingly don't organise reserve / youth games around the first team games, if our reserves played Sunday then maybe we see some of them on the bench tonight, as it is them playing 90 mins this afternoon is better than an unused sub tonight 

Ok then Bidace then?

You've also claimed Sanson wasn't fit, when he clearly was and played a large chunk of the match.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Absolutely, I agree, the priority this summer should be attacking options. Another striker and at least one more wide player, ideally two. Then Jack can play as a 10. 

Tammy/Mane & St Maxim 

I don’t really think any of this is on Smith tbh. We haven’t been tactically outdone by any stretch. We have players being wasteful and our whole midfield just not pulling their weight. The players last season weren’t good enough and other than a couple of improvements, still largely aren’t good enough. We’ve taken a huge step in the right direction but there’s still a way to go. 

• Like 2

Just now, VillanousOne said:

Ok then Bidace then?

You've also claimed Sanson wasn't fit, when he clearly was and played a large chunk of the match.

Bidace was dropped for el ghazi wasn't he? 

Sanson is hard to tell, if the coaching staff think he's got 30 to 45 mins in him max then you don't start him, it's a recurring theme 

10 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think the reason I get annoyed is because Smith doesn’t seem to try and change anything to get us working again. We have been awful for weeks but he mostly picks the same players in the same system! When he does change it, I rarely see the point of his changes. It makes no sense.

Only once since C-19 have I been happy with his starting midfield 3 and that was last week against Wolves. It actually worked really well so why effing change it tonight? It’s bonkers.

McGinn.......no!

Elmo.......no!

Ramsey........not yet he is not ready!

Play Trez if you want to play Barkley but if you are going for a solid midfield 3 then Trez....no!

Finally Dean..........no!!!!!!!!

Sort it out ffs 

Same issue remains - who else is there???

We need to build the squad. The squad is better this year than last year. It should therefore be better next year.

It’s all a work in progress. I’m happy provided we continue to move in the right direction, which we quite obviously are. 

13 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

FTFY

You wanna think of raising your expectations mate, after the way we started with our 100 million pound player, I certainly expected more than to give up points to Sheffield, Brighton and Newcastle.

Just now, Spoony said:

I don’t really think any of this is on Smith tbh. We haven’t been tactically outdone by any stretch. We have players being wasteful and our whole midfield just not pulling their weight. The players last season weren’t good enough and other than a couple of improvements, still largely aren’t good enough. We’ve taken a huge step in the right direction but there’s still a way to go. 

I slightly disagree on the tactically outdone 

We've lost to managers who make the game slow, long and shit on purpose, its a tactic 

I still think we're not good enough to rise above it but that's really hard, that's why the PL can be so inconsistent, it's lazy football 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Mathmatically yeah but I don't think the confidence is there to believe that we're still chasing it, the players don't have the urgency 

The "blame" for that will lie with your predetermined opinion of Smith, those that don't rate him will accuse him of not being able to fire the players up, those that are happy won't care too much 

The one thing for me is that again in a game that we looked so bad in the final third ultimately we've come away having missed great chances 

Sheffield United got to 54 points last season so still think we should be aiming for that given they were newly promoted and it's easy to forget we actually aren't.

Going on beach mode once we hit 40 point can be forgiven once....but you can easily get into that sort of pattern year in year out as West Brom always seemed to do under Pulis and long term the owners won't be impressed by that.

Just feels like there was a little bit more in the season for us considering the position we were in even mid Feb. Yet another one in the last 20 years where we've been nicely in touch in top half of league and then really fallen off in form last 3 months.

Given where we are in terms of our rebuild it can be acceptable....but lessons need to be learned otherwise we'll be doing the same old things in two years time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I genuinely don't get all the concern and anger. We aren't going down. For the first time in over a decade we can just relax without our season being on the line going into the end of the season. That's huge IMO. 

We're a midtable team and our owners are going to invest again in the summer. This is all part of our journey back to the big time. Its going to take more than 2 seasons. 

Quoting for posterity. 

Â