Dean Smith

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

It could be down to Smith, although that assumes that there was a combination of changes that would have been successful. 

Many will make the case for that but personally I think that there was no magic combination to be found.

Smith has made mistakes and will learn but the main problem in my opinion is the quality and experience of the squad - I believe we will put that right in the summer

We aren't talking about the recipe for success though, more the slump over the course of the season, adding to it and not reversing it.  I don't see how this can be down to anyone but the manager and coaches. You admitted his mistakes have probably increased the problems along with a fall in confidence. So the idea that Smith will learn when he hasn't all season is based on what? 

Since the restart we've had maybe 90mins of decent football. And even then we still didn't look like we'd score had we played all night.

If you extend prior to lockdown, we've been **** dire all year. And ultimately the manager has to carry the responsibility for that. His job is to make the team perform, and under no circumstances have we performed at any point this year.

Smith should be sacked. He's a nice bloke. He's not a very good manager.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So the changes Smith has made has made us worse and he’s failed to instil any confidence in the players?

id probably agree with that. 

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

We aren't talking about the recipe for success though, more the slump over the course of the season, adding to it and not reversing it.  I don't see how this can be down to anyone but the manager and coaches. You admitted his mistakes have probably increased the problems along with a fall in confidence. So the idea that Smith will learn when he hasn't all season is based on what? 

I think changes had to be tried and they didn’t work - that’s Smiths fault that he couldn’t identify or implement the right changes (assuming there was a combination of changes that would have worked)

I think a bigger problem was the lack of options the squad gave us. I believe that we will address squad deficiencies during the summer and this will allow changes to be more effective

I think Smith is far far from the perfect manager. His inexperience in the PL is clear to see and he started with an approach that was fine in the Championship but not pragmatic enough for the PL. If there is a top-rated manager lined up that’s great but if not personally I would stick with Smith - if after a dozen games we don’t show improvement then he has to go

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If he isn't sacked it's clear to see Purslow is in charge of everything.

There is no way the owners would accept such failure with the huge amount of money they invested.

Big assumption given you don’t know Purslow or the owners thinking, you are just guessing

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Ok then, im thinking they don't like abject failure. Better ?

but Purslow would? of course not

Do you not think if the owners thought that that Smith would still be at the club?  the board and owners dont do things solely on their own, not at Aston Villa not any any big company!  Such a major decision point would be discussed formally and informally a lot between the board and owners.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m not surprised you find it hard to be critical of Smith. 

The form of Grealish falls at his feet. It’s his job to motivate his players, use them correctly and get the best out of them. 

He’s not doing that. 

You shouldn't be surprised. Our squad is atrocious. Easily bottom 3 in the league. 

So grealish loss of form is all down to smith? So then he gets all the credit for the big improvement in luiz? Does that not counter it?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Not really a cheap shot we've played ten games during that time.

When you put it like that it's an issue (for the team). In the context of 5 months without our midfield or attack scoring I thought it a bit OTT.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

Well the 'technically' in the tweet allowed for the fact that there were mitigating circumstances. But it's still a dreaful for stat for any team to go ten games without any of their midfielders or attackers scoring, so there being a gap in play doesn't really excuse it, there could have been a one year gap and it still would be a bad stat, made worse by the fact we've only picked up two points in that period.

Edited by useless

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Well the 'technically' in the tweet allowed for the fact that there were mitigating circumstances. But it's still a dreaful for stat for any team to go ten games without any of their midfielders or attackers scoring, so there being a gap in play doesn't really excuse it, there could have been a one year gap and it still would be a bad stat, made worse by the fact we've only picked up two points in that period.

Really enjoy reading your contributions. Be great though if you could click on the "quote" when replying to a specific message. Your messages on there own just a bit random. Not a criticism, just thought you maybe weren't aware of how to quote a message.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

You're losing me there. I'm not trying to advocate that performances have been what we want, but with the exception of the loss to Southampton, it's not as if I personally expected much from that run of fixtures. We've already won as many and scored as many as McLeish did when we finished 16th, and there's four games to go. It's not pleasant but it's not 'deserving of relegation' as others are insinuating (not saying you are btw)

And it's interesting to note, that under McLeish that year, we made 6 wholesale changes to the starting XI. Similar upheaval to what we've seen coming up from the championship. Only McLeish had the remnants of a top 6 side.

We've also managed a cup final in that 5 months without a striker or midfielder scoring, I might add.

Edited by A'Villan

Â