Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

I understood getting on the backs of Lambert and Garde when Lerner was the owner. But with our current ownership I don’t get why I’m seeing the exact same overreactions. We haven’t had any type of stability with legit financial backing for 10 years. It’s already been stated ad nauseum that we came up a year early so keep that in mind and let’s give Dean 10 games next season as I’m betting that’s what the ownership is doing. 

Lambert actually kept us up for 2 seasons and at least still had a chance at keeping us up for a third before he was sacked. Smith is leading us to what is likely to be a 19th place finish with almost no chance of survival anymore with 4 games still left to play. **** hell, there's a chance we might not even get to 30 points. I don't like to play the "we're Aston Villa, we deserve better" card but **** hell, we bloody deserve better than this. 

Garde however can get ****. There's being relegated, and then there's being one of the worst PL squads ever. And that squad definitely had potential to be more than one of the worst PL squads ever.

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Lambert actually kept us up for 2 seasons and at least still had a chance at keeping us up for a third before he was sacked. Smith is leading us to what is likely to be a 19th place finish with almost no chance of survival anymore with 4 games still left to play. **** hell, there's a chance we might not even get to 30 points. I don't like to play the "we're Aston Villa, we deserve better" card but **** hell, we bloody deserve better than this. 

Garde however can get ****. There's being relegated, and then there's being one of the worst PL squads ever. And that squad definitely had potential to be more than one of the worst PL squads ever.

Lambert has achieved more as a manager than Dean ever will as much as Villa fans won't admit it.

• Confused 1

I want to like Smith for the obvious reasons and it'd be great if he could have a cracking at the Championship and ace it.

However the lack of passion, drive, mental toughness or whatever you call it as a worry. When Watford have grinded out a win against Plop we have lost to the likes of Bournemouth. We haven't taken a scalp off a top team and we have given up 19 points from winning positions. 

Villa have had a soft underbelly for about a decade or so now, since O'Neill I guess.

Answer: phone Rafa and give him whatever he wants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Lambert has achieved more as a manager than Dean ever will as much as Villa fans won't admit it.

Lambert did okay, given the squad and ownership he had at the time. But none of that is comparable to Smith getting us promoted within half a season of being a Villa manager when we looked terrible before he came in. 

• Like 2

Just now, AVFCforever1991 said:

Even more impressive

Agreed and a testament to their recruitment year on year to get it right. Maybe we should be looking at their hierarchy for those same roles.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I want to like Smith for the obvious reasons and it'd be great if he could have a cracking at the Championship and ace it.

However the lack of passion, drive, mental toughness or whatever you call it as a worry. When Watford have grinded out a win against Plop we have lost to the likes of Bournemouth. We haven't taken a scalp off a top team and we have given up 19 points from winning positions. 

Villa have had a soft underbelly for about a decade or so now, since O'Neill I guess.

Look at Watford's strikers then look at ours. If we had Deeney and Welbeck in our squad we wouldn't be 19th right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Lambert did okay, given the squad and ownership he had at the time. But none of that is comparable to Smith getting us promoted within half a season of being a Villa manager when we looked terrible before he came in. 

Lambert also achieved automatic promotion with Norwich and finished mid table with them the season after.

And you want me to go along with finishing 5th in the Championship is a bigger achievement. I got no time for you. You are thinking emotionally.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Disagree, he had one of, if not the best team in the division from January onwards and apart from that incredible run we looked pretty awful. 

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The first thing he would request is that Purslow is out the door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The biggest problem this season in my opinion was not Smith, it was the state of the squad we had when we got promoted. In the game against Man United mid-week, only 3 players on the pitch that were owned by Aston Villa in the Championship. Grealish, McGinn, Taylor. That's a ridiculous state to be in for a promoted team. Yes we spent a lot of money, but we had to buy players who were on loan with us the season before. The football club was run in such a terrible way. 

Hopefully the new owners will look at this and try to keep a core of players to get promoted with, and then build on that when/if we get promoted again, rather than going through a complete rebuild again. 

I'm not completely defending Smith here, and I do think the squad we have are capable of better. But to put all of the blame on Smith is laughable imo. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Look at Watford's strikers then look at ours. If we had Deeney and Welbeck in our squad we wouldn't be 19th right now.

Welbeck would be injured more than he would play.

1 minute ago, dcdedi said:

Worst manager in premier league history?

1118EEDF-E2A4-436E-A9C3-A1C602315832.png

Worst CEO and Sporting Director in history, yes. We already knew Smith was out of his depth at this club and especially in this league so he cannot be held accountable for all the shit that's happened.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Lambert also achieved automatic promotion with Norwich and finished mid table with them the season after.

And you want me to go along with finishing 5th in the Championship is a bigger achievement. I got no time for you. You are thinking emotionally.

😂

Your argument was 'Lambert achieved more for Villa', now you're quoting what he did at Norwich. hahahah

One thing also, we can’t lose sight of the fact that there are at least 2 other people that have a heavy hand in transfers/deals. Once again, the GM’s in America don’t skate by as easily as sporting director’s do in Europe. I want nothing to do with Suso after this season has ended. 

Â