Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think we looked up for it most of the game against sheff United and we came from behind to get something from Newcastle. 

Compared to Watford, West ham and Bournemouth, I think we looks just as up for the fight, if not more so than some of those teams. 

Yeah any change now would be a panic appointment and that's not what I'm asking for. I want a well thought out and pragmatic appointment for next season.

A change now would at best be someone new to shout at them. New manager bounce is hit and miss. No way will any new manager be able to implement any real changes in the 30 days that are left of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think we looked up for it most of the game against sheff United and we came from behind to get something from Newcastle. 

Compared to Watford, West ham and Bournemouth, I think we looks just as up for the fight, if not more so than some of those teams. 

I don't like relying on the fate of other teams to save our arses though..

We need to be fighting for 90 minutes in every game and even if we get beat in those games we will have gone down fighting and the fans can walk away knowing it was a harsh result, but we gave it a right good go. But I've seen none of this!

Let's hope the other teams around us don't manage to collect 3pts suddenly...

Every game a cup final..? They've looked more like an Intertoto cup qualifier.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We need to be fighting for 90 minutes in every game and even if we get beat in those games we will have gone down fighting and the fans can walk away knowing it was a harsh result, but we gave it a right good go. But I've seen none of this!

I don't like it either but for me its inevitable. We aren't going to get 40 pts and be comfortably safe. We are going to need other teams to drop points. 

I think its unfair, I think we have looked up for the fight. We certainly don't look like a team that has rolled over and accepted we are down.

Edited by DCJonah

I don't know how many times people need to say it, but the issue isn't really where we are it's how we got here. We look completely disjointed most of the time and unable to do even the basics.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But we are not!

We've been the worst team in the league since beating Burnley IMO. Norwich have been so unlucky in so many games, we haven't had any bad luck since early on.

Good post from @JAMAICAN-VILLAN giving reasons why he thinks it's not good enough. Tough to argue against anything he said. I've been so disappointed in the lack of ideas from Smith, but he's been totally shafted by recruitment.

Many aren't making those points against the manager though. They're saying things like Jack got us up on his own, Smith was holding Brentford back, these players are good enough. All untrue IMO.

Wonder if we'll ever find out how close he was to the sack before the covid break. Because we were absolutely going to lose to Chelsea which was meant to be breaking point.

I'm as sure of a loss today as when we played city at home, it'll be horrible. Not sure how we're meant to go about appointing a new "long-term" manager in the current climate. If he goes it'll be Terry til the end of the season.

Could be worth a go just to try and change something after the next three batterings we're going to be on the end of.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But we are not!

Currently we are. Over the course of the season obviously Norwich are worse. 
but in terms of how teams are performing at the moment I think we’re the worst

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sne said:

Form table over the last 10 games West Ham are actually 1 point behind us with 5 out of 30 points.

We have a whopping 6 out of 30 :hooray: We have the worst GD thou with a -13

So we aren’t the worst team then are we like you said?

Dont mind me, just trying to stay positive for today’s game.

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't know how many times people need to say it, but the issue isn't really where we are it's how we got here. We look completely disjointed most of the time and unable to do even the basics.

How can you not see that the two are combined? 

We wouldn't be where we are if we played well, held on to leads and got progressively better throughout the year. But none of that is what a relegation fighting team does really. 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

So we aren’t the worst team then are we like you said?

Dont mind me, just trying to stay positive for today’s game.

Wasn't me who said we were the worst team.

Just provided the actual figures.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Haha we have got closer to safety since the restart so this isn’t true.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we were and I think we're still one of them. But west ham and Bournemouth look awful at the moment. 

• Like 1

Make no mistake here guys, some of the comments on here .......If Liverpool adopted them, they would never have done what they have.

If it was us Brendan Rogers would still be with us.

We simply lack ambition and drive.....we are mediocre and a section of the fanbase are comfortable with that, hence the differences of opinion.

I can accept a shortfall in talent, while building, it can't be done in one window.....a shortfall in drive, tenacity, urgency and a willingness to compete, I cannot.

I cannot accept a reluctance to sign players, who provide the backdrop, durable players who nullify the opposition.

we just keep signing creative players and when they don't work we just keep signing more, ignoring the combative players who actually help the creative ones.....we simply can't get the balance right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

"The team mirrors the manager"......Deans own words, and he's right on this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Make no mistake here guys, some of the comments on here .......If Liverpool adopted them, they would never have done what they have.

If it was us Brendan Rogers would still be with us.

We simply lack ambition and drive.....we are mediocre and a section of the fanbase are comfortable with that, hence the differences of opinion.

I can accept a shortfall in talent, while building, it can't be done in one window.....a shortfall in drive, tenacity, urgency and a willingness to compete, I cannot.

I cannot accept a reluctance to sign players, who provide the backdrop, durable players who nullify the opposition.

we just keep signing creative players and when they don't work we just keep signing more, ignoring the combative players who actually help the creative ones.....we simply can't get the balance right.

This is a crazy comparison. We're trying to stay in the league right now. 

I don't think anyone thinks Dean Smith should be manager for the next ten years and that we shouldn't look to build. 

We've spent the last 3 years in the championship, we need to just stabilise before looking to build and progress. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Simply a silly comment.  From how much we spent to understanding where we have come from which was the playoff winner of the Championship.  My ambition is obviously not here in the relegation zone, it’s competing at the up end of the table but this doesn’t change overnight.  Some on here have unrealistic expectations on growth, we aren’t playing football manager on the computer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Stay up and build a foundation for future seasons.

We look just as disjointed as we did at the start of the season, if not more.

Spot on

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Simply a silly comment.  From how much we spent to understanding where we have come from which was the playoff winner of the Championship.  My ambition is obviously not here in the relegation zone, it’s competing at the up end of the table but this doesn’t change overnight.  Some on here have unrealistic expectations on growth, we aren’t playing football manager on the computer.

Our owners haven't been here for 2 years and we've got people saying we lack ambition. 

Its madness.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How can you not see that the two are combined? 

We wouldn't be where we are if we played well, held on to leads and got progressively better throughout the year. But none of that is what a relegation fighting team does really. 

The two are not as related as you seem to think. People say we simply don't have the quality, and to an extent I would agree with that, but that doesn't mean we have to be as abject as we have been for a lot of the season. We don't even put up much of a fight a lot of the time.

Finally we get 2 strikers up top today - well done dean for changing the formation at long last 👍

todays team is what I’d have liked to have seen start recent games ,  I might have gone elmo rather than konsa but I like the rest ,  let’s see if it brings the much needed win but credit to smith for finally changing it . 

Edited by Eastie

Â