Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Come on.. comparing Smith to Klopp is just embarrassing.

Klopp broke the Bayern Munich dominance and won domestic titles with Dortmund before he joined Liverpool. He always had good defensive records.

Smith's greatest achievement is 5th in Championship.

I see a lot of people putting our defensive woes down to John Terry. 

Was it JT'S fault that Brentford and Walsall were poor defensively as well?

There is no evidence to support our defensive record will improve with time under Smith. We will always concede 50-60 goals every season under Smith which means we will always remain in a relegation battle.

The pro is his teams score a lot of goals. But i'd rather have a head coach that can do both.

you are a poster that is fashionable to ridicule, possibly an easy target......I am a poster that is unable to do that to you.

Dean has much work to do......I hope he is able to do it.

I admire your pluck for saying what you think, even though I might not agree with everything you say......as you do with me.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he is doing a good job based on the fact we had 2 first team players after promotion and he has had to completely rebuild a squad to compete in the hardest league in the world. The defensive problems are a concern but understandable considering the task at hand.  If we stay up I don’t care how many goals we conceded on average. 

Ok.....your mitigation is fair....but how does that explain his defensive record at previous clubs.....just a thought.....there is a bit of a pattern isn't there?

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

you are a poster that is fashionable to ridicule, possibly an easy target......I am a poster that is unable to do that to you.

I admire your pluck for saying what you think, even though I might not agree with everything you say......as you do with me.

I hope so too. but where we differ is i don't think he can whereas you still have faith. Wish i could share it, i really do.

Ask any Brentford fan and ask what has been the biggest improvement since Frank took charge. They will say defensively.

And it's not just this season after they spent some money in the summer. They could even start seeing it last season.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's hard to take your concerns seriously. 

You wouldn't hear a bad word against the guy who finished 13th in the championship and then failed to get promotion with arguably the best team in the league. 

And now we are meeting the target of survival and in a cup final and all you do is criticise. 

I don't understand how anyone could be passionately for Steve Bruce as manager and not be for Dean Smith. I can't wrap my head around it. 

And I think some of your concerns are valid but he hasn't failed yet. He's done nothing but achieve since arriving. 

I don’t want to debate the topic of Dean Smiths alleged deficiencies, (to be honest it turns my gut), but I’d add to what you’ve said there by saying in my view he’s the most successful Manager this Club has had since Brian Little. Maybe even more so, he’s certainly achieved the single most important feat for as long as I can remember. And may well achieve the second.

I couldn’t give a toss that he’s a Villa fan. Not a toss. Utterly irrrelevant.

And I do think he has weaknesses (in  particular that whilst it is more difficult to get fully committed performances out of lower standard players every week it is his job to do that, and he doesn’t succeed often enough).

I don’t know of a Manager, or a Club, that doesn’t have weaknesses, make mistakes, or fail in some areas.

Weve certainly never been free of such things.

But the idea, albeit from a minority, that we enter the unknown with someone else - after all we’ve been through and hopefully learnt ! - simply because of that imperfection isn’t remotely sensible in my view.

Stability for its own sake is completely pointless. But so is change without a very good reason. If Smiths shortcomings amount to a “ very good reason” for removing him, how crap was the last guy, and how brilliant will the next guy have to be ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ok.....your mitigation is fair....but how does that explain his defensive record at previous clubs.....just a thought.....there is a bit of a pattern isn't there?

It does seem to be a weakness. But could a lot of that also be down to our defensive coaching? Terry was a great defender, doesn’t mean he is a great coach. 

Also I find it interesting that you think under Smith playoffs is the best we would do next season if we go down.

Norwich ran away with the league last season and have pretty much the same team this season. We are doing better then them. Whilst not as simple as that doesn’t it suggest we would have a crack at automatic promotion if we went down?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

How many fewer goals should we have let in for it not to be a thing ? How many more points should we have for it not to be a thing ?

Because I can’t help thinking, if we had 6 more points, and had let in 10 fewer goals.......there would still be the same percentage of critical posts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I hope so too. but where we differ is i don't think he can whereas you still have faith. Wish i could share it, i really do.

Ask any Brentford fan and ask what has been the biggest improvement since Frank took charge. They will say defensively.

And it's not just this season after they spent some money in the summer. They could even start seeing it last season.

You don't think brentford would swap places for us in a heartbeat? 

Edited by DCJonah

There are so many critical posts because there has been so many woeful performances. Even games we have won where we played utterly dreadful. Dean finally changed the 4_3_3 that never worked so I guess credit for that. Still so many games we are 2nd best to everything. Being outplayed by Bournemouth while down to 10 is embarrassing. I don't think expecting more than that is being "negative". Doesn't help that from 1 month Into the season we needed better strikers but nothing was planned in advance. We got two bargain bins in desperation. 

Edited by LondonVillian

Just now, LondonVillian said:

There are so many critical posts because there has been so many woeful performances. Even games we have won what we played utterly dreadful. Dean finally changed the 4_3_3 that never worked do credit for that. Still so many games we are 2nd best to everything. Being outplayed by Bournemouth while down to 10 is embarrassing. I don't think expecting more than that is being "negative". Doesn't help that from 1 month Into the season we needed better strikers but nothing was planned in advance. We got two bargain bins in desperation. 

I don’t disagree with some of what’s said here. I don’t accept we have been utterly dreadful all the time, but we’ve certainly hard our share, and Bournemouth and Watford away were indeed shocking, awful.

Im sure fans of at least half the Clubs in the League could say the same. As has been said to death, I guess how fans react to that is largely a matter of what their expectations were, and are.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

To be fair, if you remove the City debacle as an outlier, since we went 3 at the back we have conceded 7 in 6.  I think we have barely conceded from corners in that time too, when before that we were almost giving teams a goal headstart from set pieces.  It suggests Dean and the coaches have had a bit of success from making changes, even if it goes against Dean's usual footballing philosophy.

I don't think you can remove that game as an outlier considering its the only game we played in the league we played with a back 3 that's actually against opposition in the top 10. Hell, top 15 if you consider the positions of the club when we played them.(I can't check it myself at the moment, so I might be wrong here but I'm sure at most Brighton and Burnley were 14th when we played them). 

Although technicallt, I believed we played in a back 5 at Man City

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oh TRO.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think you can remove that game as an outlier considering its the only game we played in the league we played with a back 3 that's actually against opposition in the top 10. Hell, top 15 if you consider the positions of the club when we played them.(I can't check it myself at the moment, so I might be wrong here but I'm sure at most Brighton and Burnley were 14th when we played them). 

Although technicallt, I believed we played in a back 5 at Man City

The two legs against Leicester were a good barometer though.  

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

How many fewer goals should we have let in for it not to be a thing ? How many more points should we have for it not to be a thing ?

Because I can’t help thinking, if we had 6 more points, and had let in 10 fewer goals.......there would still be the same percentage of critical posts.

I disagree.....those 10 fewer goals are important and 6 more points even more important.

It changes the whole dynamic of whats being said......and it would breed confidence in the team.

If you accept that nearly 2 goals a game average is ok.....there is nothing more to be said, as unpalatable as it is....its a fact.

The only redeeming feature pointed out by Sharky today is since we went to 3-4-3 we have only conceded 7 goals in 6 games.....now that is encouraging and heartening and futher more, that is progress on this issue, long may it continue.

Â