Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Would Crystal Palace be considering him as a caretaker?

I'd back him to go in there and get 2-3 wins which is all they need to stay up. Likes of Eze and Olise would be players who'd excel under his style.

That's the sort of club where he could do o.k I reckon if he ever got another prem job but you feel his 12 months at Norwich will go badly against him here.

I don’t think he’ll get another prem job. He’s just not a big enough name, and hasn’t been that successful at that level for clubs to gamble on him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I take back about 70% of the negativity I threw Smith's way over the course of this season. 

The attitude of some of our more experienced players is just rank.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Naaaaarch said:

I take back about 70% of the negativity I threw Smith's way over the course of this season. 

The attitude of some of our more experienced players is just rank.  

Said it before, Norwich last 2 promotions was Buendia and Pukki doing most of the leg work. Emi left and Pukki is running out of gas and only so much he can drag Norwich

Grant Hanley is a League 2 player and seems to start most weeks for Norwich, a budget Harry Maguire

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

He'll be the next Sheff Weds manager if they blow promotion I reckon. Perhaps Derby aswell.

why would he drop down another division, he would go from Premier League to League One in just over a year

His stock really isnt that low, a League One team would be too low for even Bruce

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

why would he drop down another division, he would go from Premier League to League One in just over a year

His stock really isnt that low, a League One team would be too low for even Bruce

I think in long run it's a better decision than just taking another Norwich style job. I mean he'd crash and burn at somewhere like Watford given how they're run and then suddenly it's two top end championship clubs he's not succeeded at.

When you look at bottom end of championship I don't see many attractive jobs. Think his style would work well at Swansea but they're a long way from being in promotion mix with all their cutbacks and likes of Huddersfield, Reading and Cardiff would all be hard slogs with their financial issues.

Go down to league 1, get another promotion on your CV with a fallen giant and then you'll have more options as Alex Neil did getting Sunderland promoted and after six months he's finally starting to get Stoke going for a top 6 challenge next season.

Edit: Actually Bristol City is one job that would be a really good fit for him in championship so if they part with Nigel Pearson in summer that's one he could go in and lift them some places higher as they have a core of very talented young players to coach up.

Edited by VillaChris

I had a look on Noriwch forum three or four games back and they were saying things like if we'd have sacked Smith earlier we would be top two now, I had a look at their form since he was sacked and it wasn't even top six form, so not sure how they think they would be top two if they'd have sacked him earlier, and their form has been even worse since then, they were actually fifth when they sacked him.

Norwich eighth in the table based on games since Smith was sacked, Bristol City and Preston have taken the same amount of points in that time.

Based on form table since Wagner's first game in charge they're tenth after twelve games.

I said when he was sacked and people were talking as if he was a failure and his reputation had been damaged, that it wouldn't surprise me if new manager struggled even more, to the point where people would look back on Smith's time there and think maybe he wasn't doing such a bad job after all.

Wagner not doing the worst of jobs himself, the point is whoever is in charge is doing well to get them in and around the play-offs as squad isn't that great.

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Tell that to Mark Hughes some people genuinely just love the game and want to stay involved. But yes I agree his stock isn’t that low and he should be in contention for the Leicester job. But I’d prefer if he could find a solid project somewhere rather than attempting to save a relegation bound team.

• Like 1

Sheffield Wednesday isn't the worst of jobs, the kind of team that with a good manager could get promoted and then challenge for promotion again in the Championship with a good appointment, they would probably be a better choice than at least half of the Championship that will likely always be stuck midtable or bottom half.

That said I think he could probably get a job at top Championship team, by which I mean one with realistic ambitions of reaching top six at least. he got us promoted and a Norwich team that doesn't have a great squad were fifth when he left them, he should still have more than a good enough reputation in football amongst the decion makers at Championship clubs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Sheffield Wednesday isn't the worst of jobs, the kind of team that with a good manager could get promoted and then challenge for promotion again in the Championship with a good appointment, they would probably be a better choice than at least half of the Championship that will likely always be stuck midtable or bottom half.

That said I think he could probably get a job at top Championship team, by which I mean one with realistic ambitions of reaching top six at least. he got us promoted and a Norwich team that doesn't have a great squad were fifth when he left them, he should still have more than a good enough reputation in football amongst the decion makers at Championship clubs.

That's what I meant. He could've taken the QPR job but then you're in the inside and suddenly realise why the club is miles off promotion. I said at the time I couldn't understand Ainsworth walking out of Wycombe mid season to join QPR in freefall and they've had very little bounce and are in serious danger of relegation now.

Beyond that you've got likes of Hull, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Swansea. None of them are any great shakes. In bottom half championship Bristol City is only club with potential to be in shake up and they sell their best young player most summers.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What's a good fit for him in the championship then out of interest?

None of them…should be aiming for Leicester and will be good for them whether stay up or they do get relegated and push for promotion next season.  Would be a great club for him.

Â