Dean Smith

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with that, Deans skill set is galvanising an organisation, and creating stability....where he lacks is driving and demanding.

I understand, he moved the training from early morning to 12-20.pm.....because the players were on their X boxes, PS5's until 2.00am in the morning and he said they need their sleep.

it was reported to the times....if thats true, it is precisiely why discipline has slipped.....that is not a solution, its caving in.....its this kind of thing that creates sloppy mentality.

Shocking if thats the reason for the late starts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with that, Deans skill set is galvanising an organisation, and creating stability....where he lacks is driving and demanding.

I understand, he moved the training from early morning to 12-20.pm.....because the players were on their X boxes, PS5's until 2.00am in the morning and he said they need their sleep.

it was reported to the times....if thats true, it is precisiely why discipline has slipped.....that is not a solution, its caving in.....its this kind of thing that creates sloppy mentality.

Surely this can't be true? If so, he needs to be let go immediately. 

Just now, TreeVillan said:

I'm highly doubtful that's the case unless it was to please Jack? Even then..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.givemesport.com/1658849-theyre-different-dean-smith-reveals-what-separates-aston-villa-from-how-teams-normally-train%3famp

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith has revealed he now organises training for later in the day to accommodate his players' late-night gaming…

Teams normally train at 10:30 am but we train at 12pm now,” the Villa manager told The Times…

Players, young men, they’re different. They don’t go to bed at 11 pm, they go to bed at 2 am. They’ve all got an Xbox, a PS4 and they’re up later.”…

Don’t know how that compares to other teams so cannot comment either way 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lol I forgot about that. Remember at time thinking wtf but a lot of ppl were defending it as results were ok. The new fella will **** that right off whoever he is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Shocking if thats the reason for the late starts.

you have to bear in mind the validity of it, its reported on the internet, that it was a times reporter.....but if it is true, yes, shocking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

but it sounds like the tail waging the Dog.....Its the implications of what it suggests, rather than the event itself.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

This has been going on from the start!! Why are people only commenting on it now? Didn't seem to harm us in the last 3 seasons.

Because, things like this can have a knock on effect to the mentality of the team.....little things going unchecked grow in to bigger things.

A group of men will always try to chance their luck....it takes strong management to stay on top of it.

There could be many things we don't know about, but when bad runs appear, where ALL the players look off it....its usually an issue/s that relates collectively.

losing the dressing room, does not manifest itself through 1 issue......its many issues and it arrives gradually.....( not saying he has lost it though, but many could say it)

Ps Have you checked our results over the last 3 seasons, nothing there to rule it out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

you have to bear in mind the validity of it, its reported on the internet, that it was a times reporter.....but if it is true, yes, shocking.

It's a direct quote from Dean, I don't think The Times would invent that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Lol I forgot about that. Remember at time thinking wtf but a lot of ppl were defending it as results were ok. The new fella will **** that right off whoever he is.

If its good he will keep it, but that is not the point.....I couldn't imagine any player would have the front to approach Ron Saunders with that, or Bill Shankly.

different times, I know....but principles have to apply.

I am not saying, for one second saying that is responsible for our form collapse, what I am saying is many things coming together, test the mentality.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Wouldn't happen in an elite culture you get at the top teams.

I don't care when they start training if they are winning football matches.

If they are turning up half arsed and don't put a shift in like they have been doing though that's just taking the piss.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

2 points above the relegation zone now. We are in serious trouble. Weekend results haven’t helped.

We are if we don't act.

Once you're in the bottom 3, it makes it more difficult to recruit.

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

2 points above the relegation zone now. We are in serious trouble. Weekend results haven’t helped.

Could be 17th by the end of tomorrow. After 11 games that is just not good enough. Problem is, we rely so heavily on Martinez it hides a defensive issue. At least, it did last season, but we’ve had a torrid time this season when Martinez has been below and 8/10 performance.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm struggling to get too worked up about us being a flexible employer and letting people have a later working day.

Its the implications, it has, nothing to do with being a flexible employer...thats a very euphemistic way of looking at it.

I wouldn't encourage any elite athlete to be up until 2.00am in the morning before a game, playing on an Xbox.....surely they can do it after. They get enough money to make small sacrifices and comply with club rules, without looking for flexible hours.

Half of them have plenty of sleep during a game anyway😀

• Like 2

It's worth keeping in mind that these are players that have their sleep recorded by the club through monitoring devices. The days of this sort of thing being done on feel and instinct aren't with us any more. It'll be working if it shows well in tests on whatever metrics they use; blood oxygen levels or whatever.

• Like 4

Â