Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Villastine said:

We finished 11th last season and sold the best player we have had in a generation. 

Given the investment, the owners shouldn't be looking for more than the same. 

Fans expectation is another matter. 

DS should not be under pressure after 10 games 

We did lose Grealish but the manager was given £100m to make the team better without him. We are much worse. Lost 60% of our matches so far. Any manager comes under pressure after that especially as there are absolutely no signs of progress. He is gone now it’s just a matter of timing.

4 minutes ago, Villastine said:

We finished 11th last season and sold the best player we have had in a generation. 

Given the investment, the owners shouldn't be looking for more than the same. 

Fans expectation is another matter. 

DS should not be under pressure after 10 games 

I know what you’re saying. Hey I’m a Dean Smith guy so please don’t think I’m sticking the knife in, but the record over the calendar year is not impressive reading.

I don’t want him sacked, but it’s getting tougher by the week to defend him if I’m being honest.

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Grealish played the Burnley game and was a sub in the Palace game

I did say he was a sub in 2 of the games but he was nowhere near match fit. I may have got the Burnley timing wrong but I am pretty sure the stats are correct but I will check later when I get chance 

1 hour ago, regular_john said:

Still the man for the job in my opinion.

If we had won four on the spin, we wouldn't all be beside ourselves assuming we would challenge for the league and be playing CL football next year. I hope that we would take a realistic stance and not get carried away.

The same should be true now. Yes, it sucks to lose four on the spin but that doesn't mean it should be panic stations.

Smith has done a great job since the moment he walked in. He is undoubtedly the best manager we've had in more than a decade and has, in my opinion, earned some patience.

Keep the faith. UTV.

I think it’s the manner of losing more than the fact of it that has got people worried. If we had lost four hard-fought matches in a row (think Brentford), fair enough, all of the excuses would have value - injuries, illness, new players bedding in etc., and you would back them to turn it round

Bur we have really seen four very bad capitulations where the team seems increasingly demotivated and disjointed. I think these matches have produced some of the worst football I have seen since Smith took over. And it seems to be getting worse. The atmosphere amongst the squad yesterday was weirdly unhappy.

Of course it may still turn round - think how Arsenal are performing now compared with August when it all looked up for Arteta and their squad looked clueless. But we need to see some urgent signs that turnaround will happen or I really do think the owners may consider whether a change of manager is needed. 

The next three matches  are against comparatively weaker but tough teams, If we can battle our way to a couple of wins in those, everyone will be a lot happier.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

That makes the assumption that it is as easy  to transition from a loosing side to a winning side. In reality it's my harder to stop the rot.

Teams are scoring against us for fun. I really don't see us halting that anytime soon 

His only answer to stopping the rot previously was the return of Grealish from injury or a global pandemic. One of those is not going to happen again and hopefully the other one won’t either.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People keep saying this, but it's a realistic possibility. There aren't many worse teams in the division.

That's my worry. 

I'm looking at the table right now and I don't see many poor teams. Probably one of the strongest Premier leagues there's ever been. 

Newcastle, Norwich, possibly Watford. That's pretty much it. Rest of the teams are well on par or better than us. 

• Like 1

I think that a big problem with today's football is sacking managers based on a streak of poor performances.

The only way we can achieve some success is to build a solid foundation and a system where players know what to do and are effective in their roles.

We can play like we did against Chelsea (that was a loos but a really good game), Man Utd or Everton. So Smith has shown, most recently, that he can do it.

But, we also lost to Watford or Wolves in a really bad fashion.

I think we shouldn't sack Smith (even if we lose to Southampton) BUT questions have to be asked at the board level:

1) Have we signed the right players? Buendia looks like a miss so far, and Ings doesn't work well with Watkins. Bailey seems like a good player. Other than that, we are the same side that struggled back end of last season.
2) Does Smith know what to do tactics wise?

Is it a case of Smith having to fix those problems? Or is Smith incapable of producing stability and consistency?

If the latter is the case, maybe it's not unwise to look at alternative managers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's my worry. 

I'm looking at the table right now and I don't see many poor teams. Probably one of the strongest Premier leagues there's ever been. 

Newcastle, Norwich, possibly Watford. That's pretty much it. Rest of the teams are well on par or better than us. 

burnley, southampton and leeds might have scraped a few wins lately but they're still poor sides

don't write brentford off for a relegation battle either

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Arent there no upcoming managers in Europe? Like your Poch’s or even that new Wolves guy. Why’s it always it could be Lampard or Gerrard?

Might as well go for the Red Bull Salzburg guy Matthias Jaissle right away. He's only 33 :D but they seem to have a knack for finding guys who go on to do great things. Both with managers and players.

Honestly think Smith's days might be numbered sadly.

• Like 1

when you're in a sticky patch every game looks tough though. a few weeks back we were eying up this period to really kick on this season

i fancy us friday. there will be a reaction. saints are shite

Just now, tomav84 said:

when you're in a sticky patch every game looks tough though. a few weeks back we were eying up this period to really kick on this season

We’ve been hoping for this since the Wolves game unfortunately. There has to be or I think Dean is doomed.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Taking their star man. 

Their fans will be bang up for it. 

People are saying ‘I hope Smith turns it around’. What is turning it around?  Winning 3 games in a row?  

Sadly it isn’t for me.  We will be back discussing the same stuff in February.  

Going to 5-3-2 is a system where the Manager is lost for ideas.  Its why you would never see a top manager do it.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Arent there no upcoming managers in Europe? Like your Poch’s or even that new Wolves guy. Why’s it always it could be Lampard or Gerrard?

I think the problem with that is, if they were up and coming we would not know about them. I don't think many people heard of Poch before he joined Saints and just about everyone and all media were highly critical of Saints for sacking Aitkins and appointing him. We need to have a good scouting team to find the right manager if we are to replace Dean

I saw a win percentage calculation earlier (not sure if accurate)

Smith is apparently 5% down on Bruce.

I know other factors to take into consideration but those percentages are difficult to change when Villa are so inconsistent.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think that a big problem with today's football is sacking managers based on a streak of poor performances.

The only way we can achieve some success is to build a solid foundation and a system where players know what to do and are effective in their roles.

I agree that a problem is that managers are sacked too quickly and I also agree with how to achieve success. My problem is that I just don't see that happening at Villa, and it is not just in the last 4 games I don't see it, it is a worryingly long time

10 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

People are saying ‘I hope Smith turns it around’. What is turning it around?  Winning 3 games in a row?  

Sadly it isn’t for me.  We will be back discussing the same stuff in February.  

Going to 5-3-2 is a system where the Manager is lost for ideas.  Its why you would never see a top manager do it.

Doesn't Tuchel play 5-3-2 quite a bit? 

Â