Dean Smith

Demitri_C

In recent pressers Dean has said we have a squad to challenge for Europe and after last night he said that we need to make sure we beat West Ham next week. I can't see either happening but I'm glad he's "fronting up".

His in-game reactive mode of management is painful to watch at times. Arsenal were swamping us, clear for all to see. Why wait til half-time to change it? Half an hour was long enough. Be bold, be brave. Instead, he hoped to keep it at 1-0 and he/we deserved the kick in the bollocks that was the penalty. 

And if you're going to play three at the back, Hause has to be one of them. I am certain we wouldn't have conceded five set-piece goals in the last 100 minutes of play had he been playing. Granted, he's like a puppy chasing a balloon with the ball at his feet but in the air he is one of the best and it's set-pieces that rule/ruin us at the moment. So drop one of the blessed Mings, Konsa or Tuanzebe. More fool us if the latter has a "minimum starts" clause in his loan deal.

Edited by zenda

39 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i can imagine a scenario where Sanson is upset and kicks some water bottles etc, but the report is "throwing a bottle at Smith and giving him the finger".

Im just saying there may be some divergence between what might have happened, and possible hyperbolic reporting of what happened.

ofc, if he did throw a bottle at Smith and give him the finger, i would be super super surprised.

He didn't throw it at Smith, he threw it at Shakespere. I believe it did happen, cause if anyone saw Sanson's face when El Ghazi got picked to come on, you could understand his frustration. I think he was told he would get minutes tonight, till it all went wrong. Looked like he was ready to stand up when Shakesspere called El Ghazi.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a problem behind the scenes, the team were not happy at the start of the game, i'e Watkins 1 minute yellow card. Also losing games playing a unfamiliar formation, would certainly upset a few.

• Like 1

4-3-3 next game please and a million times more effort from the players.

How professionals can excuse that first half yesterday, couldn't even pass five yards most of them.

It's not just on Deano, but, ultimately he'll be gone if results and performances don't improve over the next few games 

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If that is true then there is unrest in the dressing room; Sanson has a right to be pi55ed watching our midfield last night.

To repeat others earlier in the thread the rumours are that Smith has two games, I thought they'd give him until Christmas but results are bad.

I like Smith and hoped he'd be a success here but now I feel the job is too much for him.

There are better managers out there...

Sanson has no right to be pissed. He's never been fit since he has been here. If he has given Smith the 'finger' then he needs **** off in the Jan transfer window. 

• Like 2

To reiterate my point, I don't mind players getting angry and passionate about things - shows they care. Unlike other wasters we've had in the past, when they clearly didn't. 

What i don't agree with is personal insults/attacks on the management from players, if that indeed was the case.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zenda said:

In recent pressers Dean has said we have a squad to challenge for Europe and after last night he said that we need to make sure we beat West Ham next week. I can't see either happening but I'm glad he's "fronting up".

His in-game reactive mode of management is painful to watch at times. Arsenal were swamping us, clear for all to see. Why wait til half-time to change it? Half an hour was long enough. Be bold, be brave. Instead, he hoped to keep it at 1-0 and he/we deserved the kick in the bollocks that was the penalty. 

And if you're going to play three at the back, Hause has to be one of them. I am certain we wouldn't have conceded five set-piece goals in the last 100 minutes of play had he been playing. Granted, he's like a puppy chasing a balloon with the ball at his feet but in the air he is one of the best and it's set-pieces that rule/ruin us at the moment. So drop one of the blessed Mings, Konsa or Tuanzebe. More fool us if the latter has a "minimum starts" clause in his loan deal.

Another reason we might need Hause in there is that Mings's aerial duel win percentage has dropped massively since last season.

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It isn’t a couple of games it is a quarter of the season and I think it shows just how badly we have started, it isn’t like we’ve been unlucky.

But on it's own the statistic is used to tell a bit of a fib.

After nine games of the 2019/20 season we had 11 points - if we'd continued that way over the course of the season we'd have ended up with 46 points in 13th place - as it was, we finished 17th with 35 points.

In the first nine games of that season we averaged 1.22 points per game, in the last twenty nine games we averaged 0.825 - from this point in the 2019-20 season, there was a massive drop off.

So yes, it's true to say that we have less points right now than after the same number of games as we had in 2019/20 - but it's also fair to say that the first nine games of 2019/20 were the best part of that season, a decent start compared to the rest of the year.

We have less points than we had at this point in a season where we were nearly relegated - and we'd have to collapse from our current form in a similar way to find ourselves in a that position again. 

If, as you say it shows how badly we've started, then at this terrible point in our form, we're one point worse off than the 2019/20 team at the very best point in their season.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure what you're proposing here - three is the most we can sensibly get into the middle I'd have thought. 

I guess we could play:

--------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash---------Konsa-----------Ings--------Targett

-----------------------------Luiz------------------------------

------------McGinn----Ramsey----Sanson-------

---------------Ings-----------------------Watkins-------

But I can't see where the width would come from - I guess we could play Buendia over Ings in that formation and ask him and Watkins to play wider - with the middle three making runs into the box.

I think one of our problems yesterday was that with McGinn, Luiz and Buendia as three - Buendia's natural instinct to play as a support forward means that very often we're only left with two in there - I think one of our problems in 5-3-2 is the idea that we can play Buendia as a central midfielder.

There are a couple of players that are suffering - the strikers because they don't play well as a pair, Buendia because he's expected to be doing defensive work and then McGinn and Luiz who have too much ground to cover without a third man in there.

In a 5-3-2 like yesterday's we'd be better balanced with Nakamba playing ahead of Buendia and McGinn playing as a midfielder with licence to get forward and join in, rather than Buendia playing as a forward who is expected to help out in midfield.

I'm saying for us with the players we have...we need to play 5...now the question is do we go with a 3 and 2 out and out wingers or 4 plus 1.

I think we have too many like for.like players in forward positions....mainly wingers.

We don't have many midfielders...out an out midfielders and that could be our downfall. Off top of my head 

Martinez

Cash   konsa mings target 

Luiz     sanson

Bailey       mcginn      watkins

Ings

The other problem is shoe Horning in ings and Watkins.  If playing two one needs to play wide and give us that width 

Edited by Bazmonkey
Update
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, weedman said:

We signed Sanson in January and he's not been able to put in 90 minutes for us yet. He has not got a "right to be pissed watching our midfield", he needs to be able to play 30 minutes without getting injured before demanding to be in the team. 

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sanson has no right to be pissed. He's never been fit since he has been here. If he has given Smith the 'finger' then he needs **** off in the Jan transfer window. 

Anyone has a right to be pi55ed, I was pi55ed watching us last night. Where does it suggest Sanson has 'demanded' anything?

Sanson presumably being a professional footballer would have faith in himself to do a better job than the drivel that was on display particularly in the first half.

Therefore, every right especially considering Smith does have his favourites.

1 minute ago, Bazmonkey said:

I'm saying for us with the players we have...we need to play 5...now the question is do we go with a 3 and 2 out and out wingers or 4 plus 1.

I think we have too many like for.like players in forward positions....mainly wingers.

We don't have many midfielders...out an out midfielders and that could be our downfall 

I'd definitely agree that we don't have enough true midfielders - the defining moment of our season so far is missing out on Ward-Prowse who is exactly what we're missing.

I'm not sure I understand your formation though with 4 plus 1 - the four would be Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey and Nakamba?

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Anyone has a right to be pi55ed, I was pi55ed watching us last night. Where does it suggest Sanson has 'demanded' anything?

Sanson presumably being a professional footballer would have faith in himself to do a better job than the drivel that was on display particularly in the first half.

Therefore, every right especially considering Smith does have his favourites.

If true, he doesn't have every right to throw a water bottle and swear at the coaches. 

Pretty common knowledge that I've never really rated him as a manager.

But I can greatly appreciate what he has done to this point. Promotion, some good times and build a competitive squad with a good age.

I do however feel the ceiling has been reached, and if we don't progress much come May it's probably time to let him go.

Prove me wrong Deano and turn it around.

UTV.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Pretty common knowledge that I've never really rated him as a manager.

But I can greatly appreciate what he has done to this point. Promotion, some good times and build a competitive squad with a good age.

I do however feel the ceiling has been reached, and if we don't progress much come May it's probably time to let him go.

Prove me wrong Deano and turn it around.

UTV.

Is he proving, he couldn't do it without Grealish? Time will tell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bloke on the Facebook Fan Group (Yes I know ) who seems to get alot of accurate info ( Been spot on with injuries, signings etc before they come out ) claims Deano has " 2 games to save his job ".

Obviously calmed down and sobered up a bit from last night, but still a bit baffled and annoyed.

Ideal scenario would be a couple of scintillating performances to makes the likes of yesterday distant memories.

However, I feel Deano has eroded a good chunk of his good credit in the bank over the last few games.

That's just silly.

Anything could happen in 2 off games. Does he suddenly become a top manager because he wins 2 games?

Either they believe in him or they don't. 2 games shouldn't define that.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is he proving, he couldn't do it without Grealish? Time will tell.

To be fair he isn't exactly doing himself any favors playing a formation which is completely dependent of the fullbacks for an attacking outlet.

I wonder how many points we'd be on had we played 4-3-3 from the start of the season. I suspect we'd be on more.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Either they believe in him or they don't. 2 games shouldn't define that.

It wouldn't be 2 games that would define whether he stays or not though. If the post is accurate then it could potentially be based on 5 straight losses. If this were to happen, and I don't believe it will, but if it did happen, it would not surprise me if Dean was sacked

Â