Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, MentalM said:

This has been going on after Covid outbreak. Could it be related? A few players looked way worse (Barkley in particular). Also adding up the injury to the leagues best player.

I agree on Smith needing to improve on many things, but if you see the improvement from last season to this season you should be thrilled.

Bielsa has one huge advantage, continuity in the squad. We have had a MAJOR rebuild in our entire team. And Bielsa have clear weaknesses with stubborness and naivity himself (had that all through his career). Had to mention this since you seem to worship him as much as you worshipped Maupay...

We have the youngest lineup in PL, and we are on the track of one survival season, one season to settle, and contest for Europe next season.

Why are we so inpatient? Building a team takes time. If Traore shows the improvement i.e Targett and Konsa has shown, he would be a world beater next season ;) 

It was definitely a contributing factor, I don’t think many clubs, if not any, were hit as hard with Covid as us.

I’ve said it before & will say it again:

We were flying but had our wings clipped.

Barkley losing form and losing Jack to injury were huge factors. We struggle when Cash & Mings are out too.

The solution is to strengthen the team (thereby the squad) not sack the manager and undo all the effort and progress. We don’t have many options and are really being forced to play the likes of Ramsey who is neither ready or good enough to play for a top half team.

And yes, I totally agree, we need patience. I think some of us have been spoiled by our success and just want instant gratification.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

In our premier league history, we've finished in the top 6, 9 times. We are historically a pretty midtable Premier league team with a few good seasons and a few terrible ones. 

Yet we're on here talking about our best finish in a decade like we've dropped from great heights and that the manager is on thin ice because of it. 

I feel like I'm following a different club at times. Reality doesn't match the garbage posted in this thread. 

We are quite attractive aren’t we?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I say your a jabroni 😂

You are taking me back to my teenage years in the '90s

And that's the bottom line. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sam interview was just him moaning about the referee and VAR, he gave no insight into the game and pretty much ignored the question about Alisson goal by blaming the ref 

Yes his interview was dreadful. He might have had a point about the first goal but they had several opportunities to clear the ball or to do something about stopping the goal after the free kick from the half way line. He failed, he took them down, he got well paid for doing it as well. Smith on the over hand is very open and honest with his post match interviews. Speaks like a fan and if we are crap he will say it. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

He's definitely not above criticism and there's definitely parts that I think are justified. 

BUT I'd much rather be in our position with him and our squad than say Everton who have spend a lot of money on average/subpar players and brought in a "world class" manager whom hasn't really significantly improved them because they need better players. (Yes, I'm still stuck on spending up to almost 40 million on Iwobi)

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

This assumes our players and coaching staff are complacent which I highly doubt and I'm not seeing it either. Sometimes frustration gets the best of you, but that's not complacency.

I think lofty expectations (from a fan perspective) is more dangerous since this is basically a set up for bad atmosphere if not achieved. A complacent fan isn't shouting "SMITH OUT" and showing posters on match day. So the former is more likely to be detrimental (for good or bad) than the complacent fan.

Just my two cents.

you know what assume does, it maks an ass of u and me.......and it has here.

complacency was merely mentioned as a covering eventuality to lofty expectaions, you have misread the context....they are subjective references.

John Terry is anything but complacent, he has success as a player written in to his DNA, Dean Smith has gained us Promotion, too and Craig Shakespear's association with a successful Leicester, hardly includes him......no I wasn't referring to the Coaching Staff, it was what i said it was a generalisation...don't get too sensitive.

and many things get the better of many of us, in this case Assumption has got the better of you.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

A lot of ifs and hypothetical scenarios that didn't actually happen in there.

We got promoted, we stayed up the next season, we finished comfortably midtable the next. Those are the cold hard facts. That's what you call progression. We're one of the only teams in the league who can say we are on a steady upward trajectory.

Can't Leeds say that, too?

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

you know what assume does, it maks an ass of u and me.......and it has here.

complacency was merely mentioned as a covering eventuality to lofty expectaions, you have misread the context....they are subjective references.

John Terry is anything but complacent, he has success as a player written in to his DNA, Dean Smith has gained us Promotion, too and Craig Shakespear's association with a successful Leicester, hardly includes him......no I wasn't referring to the Coaching Staff, it was what i said it was a generalisation...don't get too sensitive.

and many things get the better of many of us, in this case Assumption has got the better of you.

I really wasn't being sensitive, just replying as a musing on your generalisation. Let's leave at that and not make a chicken out of a feather.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Can't Leeds say that, too?

Leeds can say that after season 2. They've been stagnant for over a decade and got promoted thanks to recharging their batteries at the very time they usually lose their arses. They've done extremely well this season but they need to get past second season syndrome.  I fully expect that they will do so, but until they do, they are not on a steady upward trajectory. They've had a good season.

• Like 2

Just now, BOF said:

Leeds can say that after season 2. They've been stagnant for over a decade and got promoted thanks to recharging their batteries at the very time they usually lose their arses. They've done extremely well this season but they need to get past second season syndrome.  I fully expect that they will do so, but until they do, they are not on a steady upward trajectory. They've had a good season.

for the sake of the argument and having no interest whatsover in the club.....I would say 2 good seasons and their patterns of high intensity are consistent....what they do well, has been done consistently.

but yes, examples do need a wider window and I accept your observation...but I was just picking up on a point being made that only us can claim that trajectory.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I really wasn't being sensitive, just replying as a musing on your generalisation. Let's leave at that and not make a chicken out of a feather.

but you have.

Practice what you preach.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

but you have.

Practice what you preach.

That never was my intention with the original reply and if you felt I attacked you in any way then I appologize.

• Like 1

Â