Dean Smith

Demitri_C

One area I think we can improve on as we get fitter is play through from the CBs more into Luiz and McGinn.

We're excellent once the ball is up in the opposition half so I understand getting it forward quicker, then playing from there.

Ollie is so good at winning or at least contesting long balls that it feels we use that direct option bit too often sometimes. I include Martinez in that as well, though obviously sometimes he's doing it to try and counter.

We often build up play more down the wings and most of the reason for that is Jack because you get it to him as often as you can.

Doug, McGinn and Sanson are definitely good enough for it, so it would be a good option to have in our game I think. I reckon mixing it up and heading through the centre will be easier against sides that aren't playing two up top like Burnley and Saints as well.

47 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

One area I think we can improve on as we get fitter is play through from the CBs more into Luiz and McGinn

I think we do that well (better than I can remember for a long time) and part of reason we're having a good season

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

Aren't Villa top of the table for late goals (or goals after 90th minute or sumin?) - I've seen that stat pop up during games. Yes, protecting a lead is a totally different thing but having players out there doing the full 90+ week in week out may be a key reason for success.  I say this as someone who admittedly was shouting "make a fkin sub" nonstop at the tele on Saturday night.

32 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Performances and scorelines are completely irrelevant in football. The quantity and timing of substitutions as well as the amount of squad rotation employed is what matters at the end of the day.

I want 3 changes to the starting lineup, one change to the midfield between 57 and 63 minutes, a winger on at the 70 minute mark and a striker on for the last 8 minutes or after we've won our 8th corner of the game, whichever comes first.

It's quite simple and if Smith can't see that then he should just pack his bags.

Also if it’s outside the standard deviation we must exclude it and doesn’t count so we must avoid that.  We don’t want to win and then it be excluded because it’s an anomaly do we?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

Popped on here after the game at the weekend and thought some of this criticism is way over the top, I'll come back when it's settled down... Bill Murray What GIF by Groundhog Day

Think you’ll be waiting until the summer then mate 😉😂

29 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Aren't Villa top of the table for late goals (or goals after 90th minute or sumin?) - I've seen that stat pop up during games. Yes, protecting a lead is a totally different thing but having players out there doing the full 90+ week in week out may be a key reason for success.  I say this as someone who admittedly was shouting "make a fkin sub" nonstop at the tele on Saturday night.

Barkley said after his Leicester winner that the last few minutes of a game is when he feels he has the best chance to score because the opposition are tired, and his biggest frustration at Chelsea was getting subbed off after 70 mins. Flipside of course is our players get tired as well. Anyway we are doing ok!

54 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Barkley said after his Leicester winner that the last few minutes of a game is when he feels he has the best chance to score because the opposition are tired, and his biggest frustration at Chelsea was getting subbed off after 70 mins. Flipside of course is our players get tired as well. Anyway we are doing ok!

This ties in to what someone else posted a few days ago about players being coached not to spunk their load when it comes to conserving energy, and hold back on the runs that aren't needed. Being smarter about when you close down, when you run down a blind alley etc can give you the edge at the end of the game.

I dont see how a completely fresh set of legs doesn't make that easier or a moot point... but, while Dean's way is working it is at best a possible way to improve, and at worst a distraction from the great work he's done 

19 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This ties in to what someone else posted a few days ago about players being coached not to spunk their load when it comes to conserving energy, and hold back on the runs that aren't needed. Being smarter about when you close down, when you run down a blind alley etc can give you the edge at the end of the game.

I dont see how a completely fresh set of legs doesn't make that easier or a moot point... but, while Dean's way is working it is at best a possible way to improve, and at worst a distraction from the great work he's done 

But its made out like Dean's way is not to use substitutes. He uses them in almost every single game. No less than anyone else really. That's a fact. 

As someone above joked about. It's because he doesn't use subs the exact minute when those that want to have moan, want him to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But its made out like Dean's way is not to use substitutes. He uses them in almost every single game. No less than anyone else really. That's a fact. 

As someone above joked about. It's because he doesn't use subs the exact minute when those that want to have moan, want him to. 

I'm starting to think people just like to moan at something or think they have superior knowledge of what should happen.

I enjoy a good debate like most on here but..............

Anyway I try to ignore but these people drag me into their nonsense and I end up debating and luckily mate you are there sinking in that ship with me.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm starting to think people just like to moan at something or think they have superior knowledge of what should happen.

I enjoy a good debate like most on here but..............

Anyway I try to ignore but these people drag me into their nonsense and I end up debating and luckily mate you are there sinking in that ship with me.

I'm going to try and not get involved tonight. It was ridiculous that after a great win and past the 30pt mark, arguing like last season when we were in the relegation zone. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm going to try and not get involved tonight. It was ridiculous that after a great win and past the 30pt mark, arguing like last season when we were in the relegation zone. 

Yeah that’s my plan too, let’s see how it goes...

Â