Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tro if wolves took those chances which they should have you would have blamed our defence and you know it. Stop getting all defensive. 

I'm not getting defensive....I am commenting on what happened, not what could have happened or should have happened in some views....I am commenting on what I saw......if we had of made a pigs ear of a couple of defensive errors, and lost ,that would have featured in my appraisal of poor defending, is that so hard to comprehend.....I don't expect you to agree, just stop trying to put words in to my mouth.

I am dealing with facts, not suppositions, whats wrong with that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There's a difference between having a discussion about what could be improved and the same posters who never wanted him,  or wanted him sacked last year, using every loss as a reason to criticise the man and nitpick every little thing. 

Oh give it a rest and stop trolling.....I have given Dean plenty of plaudits, but it doesn't fit your narrative.

think what you like.

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When have I ever said that? I thought we played excellent against West Ham and well against Brighton but got punished by defensive lapses.  I though we played ok against Wolves but didn’t get punished by defensive lapses. 

You obviously saw the games differently. That’s fine. Don’t have to get all emotional about it. 

Ha ha I'm not getting emotional, it would take much more than VT

but you are alluding to we was lucky and i am not sharing that view.

it does seem funny that i get criticised for making critical observations when we lose and get criticised again for making positive contributions when we win....I am commenting on factual events.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm not getting defensive....I am commenting on what happened, not what could have happened or should have happened in some views....I am commenting on what I saw......if we had of made a pigs ear of a couple of defensive errors, and lost ,that would have featured in my appraisal of poor defending, is that so hard to comprehend.....I don't expect you to agree, just stop trying to put words in to my mouth.

I am dealing with facts, not suppositions, whats wrong with that?

So it doesn’t all come down to the result then? If we had lost that game would you still have been content with the performance?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Ha ha I'm not getting emotional, it would take much more than VT

but you are alluding to we was lucky and i am not sharing that view.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I thought we were very lucky wolves weren’t more clinical. They had some guilt edge chances. If those same chances fell to Villa players I wouldn’t be happy they wernt taken. 

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So it doesn’t all come down to the result then? If we had lost that game would you still have been content with the performance?

I have already said umpteen times, i am a results man......performances have a place sure, but you don't get rewarded for aesthetic appeal.....how many times have you seen teams pull all the stops out to stop you after a swashbuckling performance, like Liverpool....you have to have ways to counter that and it could be not so pretty, but its the result that counts.

I am results first, performances second......so you are the other way around, like many others on here.

but we didn't lose that game, so I said what I saw and felt.....had we had lost, i would be commenting on a different dynamic, its no good saying if the performance was the same....chances are it wouldn't be.

ask the West ham fans, if they will swap us,  3 points for the best team tag?....see what answer you get.

but it does seem churlish to criticise me for being positive after we have won.....did you want me to ignore the elements, i have picked up on ,that had a big say, in that win?

its no good telling me I am wrong, anymore than its me telling you, you are....we see things differently.

just because, you can't reconcile my stance, thats for you to deal with, not me, to labour my point.

I will say it again, in fear of not being understood.....I am results first, performances second......but like any discerning fan, above all, i want both....in the event i can only get one....its the result.

ps it has never bothered me witnessing in Rotterdam, that we were outplayed in some eyes....We won the cup and  I am sure, beyond doubt.....Bayern Munich, would have swapped the result for their performance.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have already said umpteen times, i am a results man......performances have a place sure, but you don't get rewarded for aesthetic appeal.

I am results first, performances second......so you are the other way around, like many others.

but we didn't lose that game, so I said what I saw and felt.....had we had lost, i would be commenting on a different dynamic, its no good saying if the performance was the same....chances are it wouldn't be.

ask the West ham fans, if they will swap us,  3 points for the best team tag?....see what answer you get.

its no good telling me I am wrong, anymore than its me telling you, you are....we see things differently.

You may as well just check the score at the end of the game then ;)

Everyone was saying the fact we are playing well means there isn’t a fundamental problem with how we are playing. You didn’t seem to agree. The point in bold is completely missing the point. 

We’ll never agree so let’s leave it there. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You may as well just check the score at the end of the game then ;)

Everyone was saying the fact we are playing well means there isn’t a fundamental problem with how we are playing. You didn’t seem to agree. The point in bold is completely missing the point. 

We’ll never agree so let’s leave it there. 

Your first line, is too ridiculous for words.....you are clearly not picking up what i am saying, just conveniently ignoring it to satisfy your own narrative.

The West Ham point drives to the heart of it....but there again flies in the face of your agenda....so is dismissed as irrelevant.....its very relevant to what we are discussing.

if making glaring errors that leads to goals, no i have reservations about that being playing well, it all encompassing in the " performance" for me.

may i just remind you of how we have got here.....me praising the team, for elements during the game, i believe, was instrumental in the win.....sad really.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

Your first line, is too ridiculous for words.....you are clearly not picking up what i am saying, just conveniently ignoring it to satisfy your own narrative.

The West Ham point drives to the heart of it....but there again flies in the face of your agenda....so is dismissed as irrelevant.....its very relevant to what we are discussing.

if making glaring errors that leads to goals, no i have reservations about that being playing well, it all encompassing in the " performance" for me.

may i just remind you of how we have got here.....me praising the team, for elements during the game, i believe, was instrumental in the win.....sad really.

I saw some glaring errors against Wolves but we didn’t get punished this time. If they had you would be criticising our defence.  

Fine margins Tro.   

• Like 3

One of the things that has impressed me is the characters he has brought into the squad. Martinez, Mings, Heaton, Watkins just to name a few are all proper people as well. They act and talk like serious professionals

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It seems to me that the same people are far less likely to talk up the performance against West Ham, a game we clearly could have won on another day, than they are to talk down the performance on Saturday where the reverse is arguable. 

If you wanna stick to talking about performances > results, do that. But unless you're consistent with it I'm not sure how productive a conversation can be had. 

Indeed, if the criteria you claim to be judging by is not consistent and appears to change in order to allow you to reach your pre-determined conclusion then it's hard to give any credibility to those opinions.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I can enjoy a game we don't play well and win.

I can often enjoy a game we play well and don't win.

I can never enjoy a game we don't play well and lose.

We aren't going to win every week so performance matters hugely.

This is me now and it never used to be me. 

I dont know whether it is that I am older now and see things differently or that my expectations of the Villa have reduced a lot, more realistic or what. 

When we were consistently in the top half of the table, if we lost but played well I was never happy but the last 10 years of falling to bottom half of the PL regularly and then relegation and then fighting back up to the PL, my perception of what I want to see has changed and my view now matches Tomaszk's points. 

I wonder if we do become regular top half of the table team over the coming years that my view return to old views or whether it is because of my age that I enjoy the game and the way we play, not just the final result.

Edit: Maybe I just enjoy the way Dean's teams play football

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It seems to me that the same people are far less likely to talk up the performance against West Ham, a game we clearly could have won on another day, than they are to talk down the performance on Saturday where the reverse is arguable. 

If you wanna stick to talking about performances > results, do that. But unless you're consistent with it I'm not sure how productive a conversation can be had. 

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion. Recent posts in the thread are the exact opposite of that.

• Like 1

Â