Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I keep hearing its because all the players are crap, were they crap before they arrived at VP

Not Deans fault ??   isn't Deans title HEAD COACH ?   has any one else seen how the coaching has improved us 

I believe there are more of us that want him out rather than defend him. If the crowd had been allowed in then peer pressures and chanting would have swayed the owners by now 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I keep hearing its because all the players are crap, were they crap before they arrived at VP

Not Deans fault ??   isn't Deans title HEAD COACH ?   has any one else seen how the coaching has improved us 

I believe there are more of us that want him out rather than defend him. If the crowd had been allowed in then peer pressures and chanting would have swayed the owners by now 

Well only the goal keeper was proven at this level. 

Its not about being crap before they came, its about not being good enough for the premier league. Too many have showed they aren't. 

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well only the goal keeper was proven at this level. 

Its not about being crap before they came, its about not being good enough for the premier league. Too many have showed they aren't. 

I do agree some what, but I also believe there are other teams that on paper are worse than us, but play to their strengths because of the way they are coached. We all saw how we were more of a threat when we played with two up front and Jack in the middle, will we start like this Saturday. I bet we wont 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

How do you think coaching works in football? 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

When you take on a job like Villa, you have to do your own due dilligence, you have to evaluate what resources you have to meet the expectations....unless the personal  plan is 2 years and aim for the compo.....you have to ensure there is a reasonable resource,( that could be funds, players and youth) to stay in the job, before you make your mark....it then becomes a tad easier in terms of growing your own presence and profile.....After promotion and a cup final, I do not see a manager who has grown his own profile or presence with us....would they now let him loose with a task of buying players, NO.

anyone taking on us, will want to be sure they have a reasonable input in to who is coming in and have a say in it......players have to be loyal to the manager, who are ours going to be loyal to...Suso? or Purslow?

If you want them to run through brick walls for you, they need to know, you brought them there.

I don't care, what the modern game does.....I will bet you the Klopps and Guardiola's and the Mourinho's have a huge say in who is coming in......The dog is only Loyal to the Man who feeds him....Mourinho is a classic for saying "they play for me" and when they don't, he lets them know and it gets personal at times.

for what its worth, I don't get that feeling that our players think like that....I don't feel that respect....He looks disconnected with them at times, like I have asked them to do it, but they don't.

I remember Gabby getting a ticking off by one of our managers RDM ,i think and Gabby said " I'll be here longer than you"......you can't be successful with those carryings on......I smell a similar situation.

Smith wasn’t in charge of recruitment at Brentford , he knew what he was taking on , his coaching and tactics are not up to the standard of the premier league , I’m grateful to him for the part he played last season but even if we survive somehow I think we need a far better man in charge than dean smith 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

Before his injury, he was one of the best players in the league...  Short memories around here...

First 2 months of the season maybe , but his form dipped hugely from October , before his injury he had been poor for several games 

Would anyone say Watford's squads good? I wouldnt. But pearson has coached them  better than their previous manager.

Smith isnt coaching the team very well regardless of their ability or not. Inky Only improved player in last few gamss is luiz

• Like 1

Smith has absolutely no idea what he’s doing anymore tbh. His team selection is all wrong and he has no idea how to make substitutions. He is reactive, not proactive. 

I want to like him more than I like any of our players and I want consistency, but he’s pissed me off too much now. 

You only have to look at how well Brentford are doing now to see he really didn’t do a great job there.

He seems like a great guy but he’s cost us too many points and will send us down.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Would anyone say Watford's squads good? I wouldnt. But pearson has coached them  better than their previous manager.

Smith isnt coaching the team very well regardless of their ability or not. Inky Only improved player in last few gamss is luiz

Sarr, Deloufeo, Doucoure, Deeney, Foster, Pereya, Hughes, Mariappa, even Cleverly... 

They've got a lot of quality compared to us. Only. Mings, McGinn and Mings walk into that side.

Just now, Dale said:

Sarr, Deloufeo, Doucoure, Deeney, Foster, Pereya, Hughes, Mariappa, even Cleverly... 

They've got a lot of quality compared to us. Only. Mings, McGinn and Mings walk into that side.

Id say only sarr deeney and doucoure only decent ones out of that list 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

A lot better. Doucoure, Capoue, Hughes even Cleverley walk into our team and that just midfield. Foster quality keeper, Deeney, Deulefeu, Sarr

They are only in relegation battle as players wanted an English manager

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

A lot better. Doucoure, Capoue, Hughes even Cleverley walk into our team and that just midfield. Foster quality keeper, Deeney, Deulefeu, Sarr

Forgot about Capoue! 

Its almost impossible to isolate the effect of the manager from the player on the field. As a result, we can't claim that these players are simply too crap for this league and its not really the fault of the manager as for most of them, they have never played in the PL before without being under Smith to use as a point of reference(not that that would be necessarily a good point of reference). On the other side, we can't really claim that these players are better than they are showing for us right now by pointing to past performances. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

What if he does keep us up? That’s the minimum (possibly even maximum) expectation right? With a squad as shit as ours (which isn’t actually Smith’s fault), it wouldn’t be a bad season just to stay in the league. 

As has been said before, Smith had at least some input into some of the signings so yes it s certainly some of his fault at least that our squad is shiiiite. Players like Jota and Konsa were almost certainly down to Smith, three of the five loans were brought back which again I suspect was down to Smith. Engels had been looked at before by Smith so again that could be his one, and I think Targett would have been Smith's preference. Maybe the likes of Nakamba, Wesley, Trezeguet and Luiz were down to Pitarch but they would have consulted Smith first and he definitely went to watch those players.

This false narrative that Smith had no say over signings is completely misguided. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Oh come on. Cleverley is rubbish, Hughes and Capoue wouldn't get in our team. I agree that Doucoure, Sarr and Deulofeu would. In fact put Watford's wingers in our team and we'd be miles better as they are quick and dangerous. Even though our defence is awful, on paper theirs is worse and I doubt I'd want any of their defenders here. But Foster is a good keeper. 

Like all the teams near the bottom, Watford have a few good players but also some really poor ones in their first 11. They looked a shambles before Pearson went in, their upturn in form is down to Pearson's management. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

I have never been a 'sack the manager' guy. i've always defended managers and i only called for bruce to go on the night of his final match. But i dont see where we go with dean in charge now. Yes, he didn't get his first choice signings, but that's the case with managers at even the elite clubs. You move on. He said himself when he signed Trezeguet: “We’re really excited to work with ‘Trez’. I’ve watched him a number of times,” - he was heavily involved in the recruitment. And let's say he wasnt, lets say Suso called him each time a player was signed and said "New guy reporting for training tomorrow...he's an Egyptian winger called Trezeguet" and that was the extent of his involvement, not one single player has improved since last summer.

Wesley, Trez, Hause, Konsa, Targett, Guilbert - no improvement

Ghaz - worse if anything

Mings - was already England international class in my opinion, if anything has deteriorated over the season

Luiz - OK - looks like a different player since lock down...so 1 player

If we go down, he should go. He's proven to be out of his depth, and we need someone that can not only take us up, but keep us up. There's no point keeping smith only to need a change if/when he takes us up again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Think about what you're saying, you really only care about existence in the premier league....for what? What does it give you? How will you pass on these stories to children, grand children. All of my greatest villa memories involve trophies, great games or great players. In all of those moments I was entertained. I'm lucky enough to have been to Wembley and watched us lift trophies and my reward is I get to remember those moments and share them with my son.

We both got to jointly watch villa win the play offs last season after a great and enjoyable championship season. 

I don't think we will look back on finishing 17th and enjoying 30 percent possession against Chelsea at home. To not care about being entertained is absolutely mental.

I think you miss understand - In order to get back to be an established premier league side you have to build gradually you cant build a new team then attempt to play the brand of football DS has this season. That was suicide .  Im afraid we are a long way from the club we all think we are, and the gap is growing. I have enjoyed some wembley day trips in the league  cup and  enjoyed the European cup runs in the 80s . This has gone (along with my hair) and we are a club trying to reestablish ourselves as a premier league team. Im  afraid entertainment will have to wait if it takes scruffy football and 1-0 wins to build then so be it short term. If we cant re establish ourselves as a premier league  team  we will never attracts the better players  and those days we both enjoyed in the past will be and even more distant dream.

20 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Like all the teams near the bottom, Watford have a few good players but also some really poor ones in their first 11. They looked a shambles before Pearson went in, their upturn in form is down to Pearson's management. 

The players purposely downed tools as they didnt want a foreign manager. They have pretty much said this publicly in the press 

Watford have been quite comfortable in midtable the last few seasons with pretty much the same players. We're lucky that they got off to such a poor start, as really they shouldn't be down there just purely judging it on the quality of their team.

Â