Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Firstly I just want to say how much I love VT, I have recently left the AVFC Facebook page because people just go completely nuts at each other, you couldn't imagine these people have anything in common let alone support the same club. It a cesspit of society and I couldn't bear to read another post.

I have been told off a few times on here, but I'm glad for the boundaries on here. The people on here are decent people, even you 😉 you know who you are. 

So getting on with my point on DS, I have thought all week about and after hearing that we could really be up crapper re FFP. Who better to rejuvenate the squad on a shoestring budget, who better to blood the youngsters through, who better to give a style and an identity.....

I can't think of anyone (getable) other than DS, I don't care about this season anymore. If we sack DS before giving him a transfer window and pre season, then I believe it will get even worse.

I want to give him a chance to build his own team but the recent form is worrying. It cannot be ignored. It's been bloody awful worse than under Bruce and we had some horrible runs under him. 

He ha sto turn it around. We could finish as low as 18th if this shit form continues 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

This where us fans need to be patient and allow him time then Dem.

I agree mate but if its something like5wins in twenty how can he survive in the role? That's pathetic form for me and I don't think he should still be in place if it got as bad as that. 

• Like 2

All teams have ups and downs nd as much as every Villa fan wants to get promotion as quick as possible, I think too many have disregarded the true poor position our club was in on the playing and business side.  One can't function properly without the other. 

We have to be patient and above all prepared that there is no easy or quick fix and that before this great club is ready to sit at the top table again could take 2 or more years yet.  I am more than happy to wait and make sure that when we sit amongst the elite again, we can do so for many a year yet. 

IMO (despite the fact that I wasn't there) this is the modern equivalent of Villa in the 60's/70's that languished below the first division for a few years.

The club has rebooted the system and we are still very much in the power on stage!

Edited by New_Hope

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree mate but if its something like5wins in twenty how can he survive in the role? That's pathetic form for me and I don't think he should still be in place if it got as bad as that. 

He is managing the dead team walking though at the moment. 

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't care anymore, he has proven he can overhaul a team. What's any other manager going to do any different. 

I don't hate our players, I don't blame them individually but as a team, it is a bunch of random signings thrown together. The only players that I believe will be playing for us next season are (in my view),

Kalinic

McGinn

Green

Chester

Mings (hopefully 🤞)

That's it!

We will either be forced to sell the rest or I hope we sell them.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't care anymore, he has proven he can overhaul a team.

He has, and at best finished in mid table.

14 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

What's any other manager going to do any different. 

Overhaul the team and finish higher than mid table.

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

He has, and at best finished in mid table.

Overhaul the team and finish higher than mid table.

Name this manager please? Remembering after we sack DS and his backroom staff we will whatever loose change you can find inside VP after a home game to pay this manager, and he will lured by a transfer budget of a League One team. 

13 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

This getting rid of the dead wood sounds like a forgone conclusion. Yes some are out of contract but we have more than a few on long contracts........ who is going to buy them?

McCormack will be loaned again, Richards is finally done, Hutton with stay but hopefully he will be back up (isnt the French fella a RB), Grealish will hopefully bring us enough coin to keep us out of trouble. Taylor and Elphick again will stay but hopefully as back up rather than first choice.

Hopefully we can shift,

Hourihane

Lansbury

Adomah

Jedinak (is his contract expiring?)

Whelan (is his contract expiring?)

It's the midfield apart from McGinn it's either lazy or slow and that is what is killing us at the moment. 

If we keep McGinn then we can build a midfield around him but he needs help. The reason why his quality has gone a bit is because he bloody well has to do everything. 

15 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't care anymore, he has proven he can overhaul a team. What's any other manager going to do any different. 

I don't hate our players, I don't blame them individually but as a team is a bunch of random signings thrown together. The only players that I believe will be playing for us next season are (in my view),

Kalinic

McGinn

Green

Chester

Mings (hopefully 🤞)

That's it!

We will either be forced to sell the rest or I hope we sell them.

Yeah I know what you mean but w ecan ignore terrible form and performances. Some players are hopeless but come on getting spanked by Wigan is unacceptable. I'd question his  ability as a coach if this continues to the end of season. 

I hope not because I like Smith but he looks lost and struggling bad. I do worry if this jobs too big for him

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, romavillan said:

He is managing the dead team walking though at the moment. 

The team should be doing a lot better than it is. I'm starting to wonder how many of the squad actually dislike him. He just can't get a tune out of them at all and the drop in performance is huge. They certainly no longer play like one of his team's so are clearly not listening or have given up. It's like watching Remi Garde all over again.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah I know what you mean but w ecan ignore terrible form and performances. Some players are hopeless but come on getting spanked by Wigan is unacceptable. I'd question his  ability as a coach if this continues to the end of season. 

I hope not because I like Smith but he looks lost and struggling bad. I do worry if this jobs too big for him

I don't disagree Dem, I'm not saying he won't get sacked.... Or even that he shouldn't.

I'm just taking the stance that I don't want him to be, I hope he gets enough wins soon to get him the chance to be there at the start of next season.

The Villa Park spectrum of success is 2 extreme's. We have the blind followers that he can do no wrong and the ones that think he needs to be sacked today at 10 past 9. 

He has to show his coaching from now until the end of the season to keep his job. Yes, there not his players, don't fit his system, not his philosophy and not the age of players hes used to working with.

He needs to give the owners a glimmer of hope, and the fans for that matter. I don't expect him to win every other game. In this modern era of football you need to adapt to your surroundings and grow with the evolving game. Forget everything that cant be changed. Change what can be changed, the intensity of training, the formation, the players, the diets and your tactics to suit each game. 

Even Mourinho has fallen by the way side for not keeping up with the game. He is now considering managing in Ligue 1. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

The team should be doing a lot better than it is. I'm starting to wonder how many of the squad actually dislike him. He just can't get a tune out of them at all and the drop in performance is huge. They certainly no longer play like one of his team's so are clearly not listening or have given up. It's like watching Remi Garde all over again.

The ones that don't like are the same ones that are the reason we are stuck in this division. 

If they don't like him it's probably because he wants them to press and hustle and put in shift. That's not our style at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't disagree Dem, I'm not saying he won't get sacked.... Or even that he shouldn't.

I'm just taking the stance that I don't want him to be, I hope he gets enough wins soon to get him the chance to be there at the start of next season.

I hope so mate. I really want Smith to have the same impact as wilder has at Sheffield united. I know he is hurting at the moment and does care which is great to see. 

But he has to find a way to turn it around. Before we were scoring goals for fun and couldn't defend to save our lives. Now the defence is getting abit better but we have gone completely flat as a attacking sense. 

That Blose game  is the key one for him. If we get spanked as expected the fans really will start turning. 

Â