Dean Smith

Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

But Smith progressed Brenford not one ioata in 3 years with them. Sure he always had to sell his better players - but then the set up at Brentford  unearths good players for small fees  (Mapham, Maupay). 

That's one way of looking at it. You could also say that Brentford were significantly exceeding their potential when he arrived and he maintained that. I genuinely think for the players they are able to attract, even in their current position this week they are delivering more than they should given what they have at their disposal. When you hit your ceiling you can't go any further but to maintain that level, despite losing your best players every window has to be worth something.

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

That's one way of looking at it. You could also say that Brentford were significantly exceeding their potential when he arrived and he maintained that. I genuinely think for the players they are able to attract, even in their current position this week they are delivering more than they should given what they have at their disposal. When you hit your ceiling you can't go any further but to maintain that level, despite losing your best players every window has to be worth something.

OK - the season before Smith arrived they finished 5th

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

And for multiple times he didn't take over directly that season and also highest that Brentford finished in 70 years

They dont usually finish top half in Championship 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Who that manager could be? Ranieri, Benitez, Sanchez Flores, Puel or Wenger.

(Tin hat is ready for suggesting those 5 managers)

You missed out Dunga...

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

And for multiple times he didn't take over directly that season and also highest that Brentford finished in 70 years

They dont usually finish top half in Championship 

???? - He was appointed November 2015 - and went on to finish that season 9th.  (2015/6) - Where as 2014/5 - they finished 5th.

Not sure what you mean by not taking over directly ?

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

???? - He was appointed November 2015 - and went on to finish that season 9th.  (2015/6) - Where as 2014/5 - they finished 5th.

Not sure what you mean by not taking over directly ?

Well Warburton left that summer. Was another manager that came in and Smith had clean his mess and not to mention they had lost 15million worth of talent from Warburton team including Andre Gray who was main forward

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Warburton went on to get sacked twice and Brentford were forced to sell a load of players at the end of that season to meet FFP. 

Not sure what we're proving by bringing this up all the time? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Warburton went on to get sacked twice and Brentford were forced to sell a load of players at the end of that season to meet FFP. 

Not sure what we're proving by bringing this up all the time? 

Beat me to it, I wanted to know what Warburton went on to achieve to show his overwhelming superiority over Smith?

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Beat me to it, I wanted to know what Warburton went on to achieve to show his overwhelming superiority over Smith?

He didn't go on to anything. He was just a better Brentford manager than Smith.

Edited by hippo

3 hours ago, hippo said:

We know the players we succeeded in getting

Kallnic  - ok, but is he much of an upgrade on Steer ?

Mings - quality - but can we can him permanently

Hause - reasonable championship player

Carrol - Injured at Fulham and now injured here - not that great even when fit

Mixed bag - nothing to suggest  we are on the cusp of unearthing 10 - 12 gems over the summer - and that Smith will be able to manage them to any great heights.

And yet we have our own great scout here throwing no end of names and suggestions at the club and it appears to always be falling on deaf ears.

I know January is not the best of windows but if that is an indication if the best Jesus Pitarch and Juanfran can do then this also concerns me ontop of DS reign.

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Im not saying it easy - for many like many others I had to do what I was told at work to keep a roof over my head and put food on the table. Footballers don't have that pressure - once they are pro - provided they are sensible they are financially secure - but I think they care about there own careers - if they play well they get better contracts at better clubs - so I don't buy the not caring/motivated argument to any great extent  - more of an issue for me is are they thinking "Smithy - wots he know"  - Imagine the respect Terry would get when he walked into a dressing room - contrast that with Smith who has spent his playing and managerial careers in the lower leagues , never really doing much.

Graham Turner 1980's villa manager admitted years later he struggled with that as manager - he said the players mentally ask "Show us you're Medals" 

I think the Graham Turner comparisons may well be valid in the case against Smith and his impact at the higher levels but we're currently a mid table Championship side, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as so far we've changed managers and seen the same performances - let's see what happens if we change the player's so that we collectively apply the same effort throughout the team that Tammy and Mcginn show now. My near term concern is what happens if we get a poor result at the Sty, that could prompt an onslaught of cabbages not seen before...

That aside, totally agree about having a boss and towing the line to put food on the table (I have to do that too) but I suspect some of our players will never get a better contract than we've offered and that's why we have soo much deadwood in the squad.

1 minute ago, Darth Villa said:

I think the Graham Turner comparisons may well be valid in the case against Smith and his impact at the higher levels but we're currently a mid table Championship side, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as so far we've changed managers and seen the same performances - let's see what happens if we change the player's so that we collectively apply the same effort throughout the team that Tammy and Mcginn show now. My near term concern is what happens if we get a poor result at the Sty, that could prompt an onslaught of cabbages not seen before...

That aside, totally agree about having a boss and towing the line to put food on the table (I have to do that too) but I suspect some of our players will never get a better contract than we've offered and that's why we have soo much deadwood in the squad.

But do you do not think that is one hell of a gamble ? - He can't work with the players already the club - but he might be able to work with a new set, even though the expensive additions in defence haven't stopped the flow of goals....

To me it seems like going to a job interview "My word I can't with those folk I am currently working with - but give me a job here and I will be fine"

1 minute ago, hippo said:

But do you do not think that is one hell of a gamble ? - He can't work with the players already the club - but he might be able to work with a new set, even though the expensive additions in defence haven't stopped the flow of goals....

To me it seems like going to a job interview "My word I can't with those folk I am currently working with - but give me a job here and I will be fine"

Quite quickly forgotten how with the same group plus Tuanzebe and Grealish we played the best football we've played since the Big Ron days probably. 

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Quite quickly forgotten how with the same group plus Tuanzebe and Grealish we played the best football we've played since the Big Ron days probably. 

But the goals still leaked even with those two. - as they did at every club he has managed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

yeah you and me both, but we've seen plenty of players in claret and blue over the last decade or so that really couldn't give a shit as long as the £40k a week hits the bank on time.

Agreed. However, i think a few out of contract will be fooling themselves if they think agents will be beating down their front door on july 1st. 

Do retired footballers still run pubs called The Far Post these days ? Even Jeff Stelling wouldn't be bothered making some of them matchday pundits.

Then again, if micky quinn and robbie savage can still find work....

• Like 1

Â