Dean Smith

Demitri_C

31 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

This getting rid of the dead wood sounds like a forgone conclusion. Yes some are out of contract but we have more than a few on long contracts........ who is going to buy them?

Didn't we trey this before ? - all our problems would be solved when we got ride of Beye, Cuellar, Heskey  - sure we got rid of them - and good riddance - but was it a prelude to better things ?

40 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Name this manager please? Remembering after we sack DS and his backroom staff we will whatever loose change you can find inside VP after a home game to pay this manager, and he will lured by a transfer budget of a League One team. 

Yes - because its written into the Aston Villa constitution that we can only have a manager who has farted about in the lower leagues.

Smith will most probably be gone Christmas - Life will go on - the better the manager, the better the team on the pitch.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

The Villa Park spectrum of success is 2 extreme's. We have the blind followers that he can do no wrong and the ones that think he needs to be sacked today at 10 past 9. 

He has to show his coaching from now until the end of the season to keep his job. Yes, there not his players, don't fit his system, not his philosophy and not the age of players hes used to working with.

He needs to give the owners a glimmer of hope, and the fans for that matter. I don't expect him to win every other game. In this modern era of football you need to adapt to your surroundings and grow with the evolving game. Forget everything that cant be changed. Change what can be changed, the intensity of training, the formation, the players, the diets and your tactics to suit each game. 

Even Mourinho has fallen by the way side for not keeping up with the game. He is now considering managing in Ligue 1. 

I don't actually think many are calling for him to go now.

As you have stated above he has to show something between now and the end of the season. 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And what kind od budget do you think he will have here? 

Well he's signed a goalkeeper for double Brentford's record signing so.. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's bizarre to be talking about sacking Smith right now.

However, I do think if we get to the summer and things haven't improved from how they are now it needs to be a genuine discussion.

I am absolutely in agreement with being behind the manager and giving him time. I'm still optimistic about Smith.

However, I do think he needs to show something to tell us that giving him the time will improve things. At the moment things seem to be getting worse every week. We need to see evidence that he's starting to impose this supposed style on the team and the players are performing as a result. If there's no evidence that things are improving then we're just going on blind faith that he'll sort things out with a transfer window under his belt.

I think it will come down to are the results at Boro and Derby enough. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes - because its written into the Aston Villa constitution that we can only have a manager who has farted about in the lower leagues.

Smith will most probably be gone Christmas - Life will go on - the better the manager, the better the team on the pitch.  

I think you misread my post, I wasn't saying that is the way we have to go... I was saying that is all we will be able to afford.

The bigger concern I have is that I don't think we have the right infrastructure at the club to bring in the type of players Smith needs. It is a meticulous and arduous process that required an entire division at Brentford and took years to refine.

We also have a number of factors going against us when trying to replicate that strategy: i) we will always have to pay a huge premium because of our perceived resources, stature and size; ii) players at that stage are psychologically vulnerable and likely can't hack playing in front of an even half full VP; and iii) if we do it gradually, rather than wholesale this summer, the main benefit of younger players - ambition, fitness, pace, excitement - will be completely diluted by the old guard poisoning them (Hourihane and Whelan content to just play keep ball in our own half, for example). The best example of the latter is what Whelan did to Ramsey on Saturday - forced him to play safe by giving him the ball into feet or behind him even though the lad had made some great runs. 

As such, a bigger part of the task here is not just recruitment of younger and fitter players, but the phase out of older players. The latter have no sale value as no one will take on their exuberant contracts, so that will be a key test for this regime (who I was really unimpressed with in January). The best option would be to plead with Hourihane and Whelan to stop what they're doing and at least try to run/move/play on the front foot  (Whelan showed he can actually play a ball forward against Sheff Utd), but looks like Smith has exhausted all efforts here if our recent complete reversion to Bruce ball is anything to go by. 

I've been one of Smith's biggest critics on here, but if we accept it is just too difficult a task to inspire the likes of Hourihane and Whelan to run, then the fan pressure needs to shift to the non-playing staff and their ability to recruit. People on here will disagree, but I don't think the team the owners have put in place caught enough criticism for their performance in January, where they chose to capitulate rather than give promotion a genuine shot. Asking Smith to do it all is too much; I'm prepared to let him focus on the on-pitch issues, but we need to get at the recruitment team if they have a slow start in the summer.

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

I think you misread my post, I wasn't saying that is the way we have to go... I was saying that is all we will be able to afford.

I don't believe that is the case. If money was that tight I don't believe we would have recruited Terry and paid compensation for Smith.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

If we carry on with results like we have had....He won't be given time IMO.

Its tricky, but that's what I think will happen....Long gone are the days of Fergie and his 5 years.

Owners want to see something.

I hope Dean makes it....but he needs to show them something.

Bruce got what, 12 games from them?

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

However, I do think if we get to the summer and things haven't improved from how they are now it needs to be a genuine discussion.

I am absolutely in agreement with being behind the manager and giving him time. I'm still optimistic about Smith.

However, I do think he needs to show something to tell us that giving him the time will improve things. At the moment things seem to be getting worse every week. We need to see evidence that he's starting to impose this supposed style on the team and the players are performing as a result. If there's no evidence that things are improving then we're just going on blind faith that he'll sort things out with a transfer window under his belt.

I don't think it's bizarre, it would be bizarre if we were doing well but we're playing about as badly as I can recall since being relegated.

It's too early to sack him, for sure, but it's not too early to be discussing the virtues of it.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't think it's bizarre, it would be bizarre if we were doing well but we're playing about as badly as I can recall since being relegated.

It's too early to sack him, for sure, but it's not too early to be discussing the virtues of it.

Sorry, I meant it was bizarre to be talking about sacking Smith now. As in for the sacking to occur now.

Discussing sacking him in the summer if things don't improve is valid, imo.

Like you said, we're playing as badly as we've played since we got into this league, imo.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We don't splash £7m on a keeper in the January window if we operate on a League 1 budget.

You forget Purslow's nous regarding FFP mate.

Think he meant Brentford operated a League 1 budget 

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not for me. He's inherited a shambles of a squad so I would give him a chance to re-organise this summer. If you look at the number of players we will have out of contract this summer there will be a huge turnover of players so Smith will be judged around 20 games into next season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Not for me. He's inherited a shambles of a squad so I would give him a chance to re-organise this summer. If you look at the number of players we will have out of contract this summer there will be a huge turnover of players so Smith will be judged around 20 games into next season.

Fair enough.

Personally if we continue to put in some of the worst performances I've seen since we got relegated for the rest of the season I think I'll lose faith. LIke I said I'm all for giving managers time, but not if they're not showing that it's worth it.

I don't think the squad is as much of a shambles as is being made out. I think that's being used as a defence for Smith. It's nowhere near as bad as he's making it look at the moment, with or without Grealish.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough.

Personally if we continue to put in some of the worst performances I've seen since we got relegated for the rest of the season I think I'll lose faith. LIke I said I'm all for giving managers time, but not if they're not showing that it's worth it.

I don't think the squad is as much of a shambles as is being made out. I think that's being used as a defence for Smith. It's nowhere near as bad as he's making it look at the moment, with or without Grealish.

I still want him to have a pre-season, summer window and lots of time next season, but you do make a very valid point. So far his lack of ideas and capacity to try different things is alarming. Excusing it for him picking up a total mess doesn't fully cover it, only part. He just needs to show more between now and the end of the season.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I still want him to have a pre-season, summer window and lots of time next season, but you do make a very valid point. So far his lack of ideas and capacity to try different things is alarming. Excusing it for him picking up a total mess doesn't fully cover it, only part. He just needs to show more between now and the end of the season.

I absolutely want him to.

But like I said I think by the summer if things are still the same I think it will be hard to justify giving time and money to someone who is taking us backwards.

Hopefully he turns things around before then and the point will be moot.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But like I said I think by the summer if things are still the same I think it will be hard to justify giving time and money to someone who is taking us backwards.

This is also my concern.

Do I think we should be handing a limited manager a war chest to build a new team in the hope we finish higher than mid table.     No.

Â