Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

The stand out players are either McGinn, or the players he's brought in or recalled. So Motivation doesn't seem a problem there. 

I think discussions have taken place and players have been told they will be let go at end of season. We have a shit squad as it is but at least with some motivation and can look average at most

20 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

If we don't qualify for the play offs. and I mean qualify not necessarily win. then we should bin this clown the day after the season is over.

A squad with the talent we have on paper should easily do it. 3rd best squad after stoke and baggies. should be 10 points clear at the top really as it's the worst championship for years.

Personally I would have sacked him saturday night. there was an opportunity to send shockwaves through the whole footballing world by appointing Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger.

You would have sell outs every game and the players, even half arsed guys like Hourihane would run through brick walls for blokes of that calibre.

The situation is now gates will gradually fall to 25k, people won't come to watch a team who can't be arsed managed by a bloke who looks like he is going to end up like gerrard houllier.

many season ticket holders in my block didn't bother coming on saturday. Whats the point everyone knew what would happen? see my post in the west brom pre match thread I called it exactly right. I went in the end,  but the only enjoyment I got was seeing the fat guy win the half time kick it into the big circle game. (see the pre match thread.) just call me nostradamus

You're trolling us all right!?

40 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

If we don't qualify for the play offs. and I mean qualify not necessarily win. then we should bin this clown the day after the season is over.

A squad with the talent we have on paper should easily do it. 3rd best squad after stoke and baggies. should be 10 points clear at the top really as it's the worst championship for years.

Personally I would have sacked him saturday night. there was an opportunity to send shockwaves through the whole footballing world by appointing Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger.

You would have sell outs every game and the players, even half arsed guys like Hourihane would run through brick walls for blokes of that calibre.

The situation is now gates will gradually fall to 25k, people won't come to watch a team who can't be arsed managed by a bloke who looks like he is going to end up like gerrard houllier.

many season ticket holders in my block didn't bother coming on saturday. Whats the point everyone knew what would happen? see my post in the west brom pre match thread I called it exactly right. I went in the end,  but the only enjoyment I got was seeing the fat guy win the half time kick it into the big circle game. (see the pre match thread.) just call me nostradamus

Is it comic relief or April fools..

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Serious - if we won 10 on the bounce - I would feel a lot happier about next season - are you saying you wouldn't ? 

I think if we won 10 on the bounce if would have a massive bearing on next season. We would have a guy who knows how to organise and motivate a football team at one of the divisions bigger clubs.

We have won 10 all season, Even if we signed messi & ronaldo before Saturday we wouldn't win the next 10

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've discounted this season and I'm relaxed about next season. I've looked at Smith's strengths (with the right players), the experience and contacts of both Purslow and Pitarch, and the financial backing that will be given by our rock solid owners.

This season is now a count down to the day that we can begin the Villa rebuild.

but what will happen next season when we pick up a couple of injurues?

Smith started with 5 wins from 8 with this aparently shit squad that he has since added to, a couple of injuries and the whole style of play & gameplan is completely out of the window and he doesn't look like he has a clue what he is doing.

He's gone from great after match chats & press conferences talking about phases/traps/videos at half time to saying the ref is shit and we are unlucky against teams we barely kicked the ball against for 80% of the match

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

But you will never be 100% sure.  You're saying give him 12 games next season ? - There will still be some saying he hasn't had time , he should have 20 ,- had bad luck with injuries, it was the ref etc.

12 games next season - If he bombs thats pretty much it for promotion next season as well - Its how sure you want to be when pulling the trigger V Writing off yet another season - and making another mid season change - which means we are very limited to who get.

My view is to look at the results of remaining 13 games  (My guess is they won't be overly impressive) ....and think, "Hold on", without too much disruption we could have  Jovanic (or anyone else who becomes available) in by June 1 - plenty of time to prep for the new season.

To my mind we are potentially paying a very high price, by giving Smith a considerable benefit of the doubt. 

Substitute Smith’s name for Jovanic and Jovanic’s name for the next potential manager; it wouldn’t be fair on Jovanic the same as it’s not fair to not give Smith a decent chance. I suspect we differ on what we see as a fair and decent chance. I want Villa to avoid the cycle of rapid management changes that, more often than not, simply does not work. To that end, Smith at least deserves a summer window, preseason and a new season before final judgment.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Serious - if we won 10 on the bounce - I would feel a lot happier about next season - are you saying you wouldn't ? 

I think if we won 10 on the bounce if would have a massive bearing on next season. We would have a guy who knows how to organise and motivate a football team at one of the divisions bigger clubs.

I mentioned it a few pages back but around this time in Bruces first season we went 9 games without a win (& only 2 draws from memory). I honestly think that he would have been gone in the summer had that not changed but he/we somehow managed to turn that crap run around and won 7 of the next 8 games.

I think Smith probably needs to do something similar (maybe 5 wins from the final 13) for those upstairs not to start having serious concerns that they have the wrong guy but i can't see us getting anything like that the way we are playing. If i was a betting man (and i am) i would happily put decent money on us getting no more than 10 points from the final 13 games.

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think Slavisa Jokanovic would be getting a better tune out of our squad.

I'd go all out for him in the summer if things don't improve, drastically between now and then.

Would he? Fulham didn’t start performing well until he brought in Mitrovic, they’d barely won consequently until January. 

59 minutes ago, brommy said:

Substitute Smith’s name for Jovanic and Jovanic’s name for the next potential manager; it wouldn’t be fair on Jovanic the same as it’s not fair to not give Smith a decent chance. I suspect we differ on what we see as a fair and decent chance. I want Villa to avoid the cycle of rapid management changes that, more often than not, simply does not work. To that end, Smith at least deserves a summer window, preseason and a new season before final 

Eh ? are you saying we should start calling smith , Jovanic ?

why in the hope the players may listen to him ?.....its worth a try I suppose !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It would give reassurances that Smith can get a team playing well.

We don't really have those reassurances right now.

Apart from the best football I've seen us play in 20 years for a couple of months you mean?

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

come on lads its obvious he a complete tozzer ....lets sack him !!!

wtf? Are you feeling alright?

Your views seem a tad bit simplistic and quite short sighted. "Good managers win matches and poor ones don't" - so there's no other factors? It's just black and white to you.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I hope so mate. I really want Smith to have the same impact as wilder has at Sheffield united. I know he is hurting at the moment and does care which is great to see. 

But he has to find a way to turn it around. Before we were scoring goals for fun and couldn't defend to save our lives. Now the defence is getting abit better but we have gone completely flat as a attacking sense. 

That Blose game  is the key one for him. If we get spanked as expected the fans really will start turning. 

That may well be so.....but if his future is based on the Blues game......we are well and truly ****ed.......The criteria for him staying or going, needs to be more sophisticated than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

That may well be so.....but if his future is based on the Blues game......we are well and truly ****ed.......The criteria for him staying or going, needs to be more sophisticated than that.

We really, really can't afford to just get shot before he's actually had a chance. Both financially and for our long term future. Bruce was allowed time, the very least we can do is extend the same to Smith.

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

come on lads its obvious he a complete tozzer ....lets sack him !!!

Too soon to call for head but not too soon to express concerns about this appalling run since Xmas - he needs to turn things around as if  this carries on until the end of the season then his situation may well need to be reviewed .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Â