Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

Well he's signed a goalkeeper for double Brentford's record signing so.. 

A budget of 5m is not exactly huge and it's only going to get worse unless we sell some prized assets and w eodnt have many of those. 

If we continue with to be all Sarri level stubborn with the clearly not working 4-5-1 using largely players who will not the here next season then I can't see how we are building for next season.

That would make we worried.

Hopefully the introduction of Ramsey was a sign of what's to come

Hindsight is a great thing, but it now looks like he should have kept some of the youngsters. I think we would be more understanding if we felt he was blooding them for next season.

Hard to believe they would be any worse than some of the oldies we see getting games constantly.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This is also my concern.

Do I think we should be handing a limited manager a war chest to build a new team in the hope we finish higher than mid table.     No.

Limited manager? By whose standards? The managers we've had in the last decade?

Where ever the guy has been he's been considered a success - doing it the right way. Working hard with smaller teams and rising through the ranks. He needs to build 'his' team - because it's harsh to judge him right now when these players were signed by a different type of manager who's ideologies and methods are outdated and are coming to the end of their careers. 

The way Smith wants to play is fast, competitive football with an emphasis on possession based system - where we don't have rely on individual bits of brilliance as Bruce did every game (Snodgrass, Adomah, Grealish, Grabban). 

Finally he's own of us - mean more to him when we win, and I'm sure it hurts a damn lot more to him when we lose then another manager who doesn't have a previous affinity with our great club. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This is also my concern.

Do I think we should be handing a limited manager a war chest to build a new team in the hope we finish higher than mid table.     No.

If it's any consolation it's much more likely to be a war purse than a war chest :D 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough.

Personally if we continue to put in some of the worst performances I've seen since we got relegated for the rest of the season I think I'll lose faith. LIke I said I'm all for giving managers time, but not if they're not showing that it's worth it.

I don't think the squad is as much of a shambles as is being made out. I think that's being used as a defence for Smith. It's nowhere near as bad as he's making it look at the moment, with or without Grealish.

it is.

the midfield is appalling bar mcginn. horihane has been absent for so long i cant remember his last decent game. whelan is apparently improving in many of our eyes which is just a nice way of saying he hasnt had a complete **** shocker for a little while. this is such a critical area of the field and is the reason we're losing games. wingers - well we've tried various combinations and none seem to really be working . el ghazi is best of a bad bunch for me - i forgot elmo and green were even on the pitch on saturday. kodj seems to make a difference when he comes on so it's a shame he's obviously shagged dean's mrs or something (or speculating more sensibly, thrown his toys out of the pram being played on the wing and/or tried to force a transfer in jan)

at least 2 of saturdays back 4 arent good enough (elphick and hutton).

so if you're keeping score, that's minimum 6 players from saturday's starting 11 that are not performing well enough at the moment, with the jury still out on our new left back...i'd say that's enough to be considered a shambles

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yay let's become the next Brentford. young and hungry players and mid table. Looking forward to it

i'm curious to know what you therefore think our approach should be? the alternative is signing the supposed form players in the league combined with premiership players that are no longer good enough for that league? which i'm pretty sure we've already tried...

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm curious to know what you therefore think our approach should be? the alternative is signing the supposed form players in the league combined with premiership players that are no longer good enough for that league? which i'm pretty sure we've already tried...

He wants us to bring in Big Sam and sign old players to get us promoted. He pretty much thinks we should do what not nearly brought the club to closure a few months back

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There's nothing wrong with Big Sam.

He got West Ham promoted on his first attempt and stabilized them in the Premier League, you can't argue with that.

When was the last time a Dean Smith team got promoted? When was it?

If we get in financial problems that is on the board, the board have the final say in what's happening with transfers and wages.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn't a shambles when Bruce was in charge and we were supposedly underperforming. Or when Smith took over and we were blowing teams away for a few games.

The squad isn't great. 

But it's better than the shite we've been served up since the new year.

Anyone saying that this squad is performing to their full capabilities right now is talking out of their arse, with all due respect.

i agree, the squad is not performing at their full capabilities...but i stand by the fact that it's not good enough. and i didnt think it was good enough under bruce either. and i know some will smite me for saying this, but when we blew teams away, we had jack in the team..................

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There's nothing wrong with Big Sam.

He got West Ham promoted on his first attempt and stabilized them in the Premier League, you can't argue with that.

If we get in financial problems that is on the board, the board havee the final say in what's happening in transfers and wages.

spot on....so here is what i would guess would be a conversation that would happen between sam and the board in the summer:

sam: here's my list of transfer targets gentlemen...i'm sure they'll be names you'll recognise. scott dann and wayne hennessy in particular would be good acquisitions and i know them well from my time at palace. they're in their 30s now so shouldn't require much in terms of transfer fee

board: but they want 50k a week and 4 year contracts sam...unfortunately, we are a sensible board of directors and are learning from the mistakes previous regimes made and therefore cannot sanction these transfers

sam: but these are the type of player i want to buy, they fit my dull, dinosaur style perfectly, i have no other targets

board: then i'm afraid we shan't be signing anyone this summer. the club nearly went under a year ago because of transfer deals such as these. oh while you're here, just thought i'd let you know spurs have met our valuation on jack and he's on his way there now for a medical. obviously you wont be using any of this money to reinvest in the squad so we'll just keep it to one side for your pay off after you have cabbages thrown at you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

it is.

the midfield is appalling bar mcginn. horihane has been absent for so long i cant remember his last decent game. whelan is apparently improving in many of our eyes which is just a nice way of saying he hasnt had a complete **** shocker for a little while. this is such a critical area of the field and is the reason we're losing games. wingers - well we've tried various combinations and none seem to really be working . el ghazi is best of a bad bunch for me - i forgot elmo and green were even on the pitch on saturday. kodj seems to make a difference when he comes on so it's a shame he's obviously shagged dean's mrs or something (or speculating more sensibly, thrown his toys out of the pram being played on the wing and/or tried to force a transfer in jan)

at least 2 of saturdays back 4 arent good enough (elphick and hutton).

so if you're keeping score, that's minimum 6 players from saturday's starting 11 that are not performing well enough at the moment, with the jury still out on our new left back...i'd say that's enough to be considered a shambles

Agreed - its so bad that he who must not be criticised send out the possible replacements from our u23's on loan. 

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yay let's become the next Brentford. young and hungry players and mid table. Looking forward to it

If Brentford hadn't had to sell their best players to rivals at the end of each season do you not think they may have bettered mid table?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed - its so bad that he who must not be criticised send out the possible replacements from our u23's on loan. 

i said that very thing after the game saturday...i dont want to see horihane in  a villa shirt again and i refuse to believe that doyle-hayes would be any worse.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What's wrong with Brentford? Small club that made about 80m on player sales while only spending less then 10, AND STILL FINISHING mid-table, despite selling their best players - WHILE OUTPLAYING THE MIGHTY ASTON VILLA EVERYTIME WE PLAY THEM. lol. 

If we can do 'Brentford' but on a massive scale, where we can get promoted and promote our youth, and play the way they play - sign me the **** up.

What's your ideal team then, if not 'young and hungry'? 'Old and overfed'?

• Like 1

Â