Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Was just looking up Moroccan players who have played for Villa, and seen that El Ghazi was eligible to play for Morocco and that he was trying to switch allegiance before the world cup, but how's that possible if he's played twice for Netherlands in competitive fixtures?

Think FIFA changed the law to something ridiculous like 5 caps now

Probably regretting his choice now. From what I remember didn't he ask Ronaldo which country he should play for and he said the Netherlands? 

Just looking at his stats and seems like he has made  a decent start at PSV. He isn't a bad player really. We have certainly made a lot worse signings than El Goalzi.

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think FIFA changed the law to something ridiculous like 5 caps now

Bit stricter than that. They can have had 3 caps in competitive fixtures, as long as those caps were before they were 21, and not including competitive tournament phases (so you can't play in a single WC or Euros match, but could could play in 3 qualifiers)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Was just looking up Moroccan players who have played for Villa, and seen that El Ghazi was eligible to play for Morocco and that he was trying to switch allegiance before the world cup, but how's that possible if he's played twice for Netherlands in competitive fixtures?

New FIFA rules mean that players can switch allegiance once if they have played no more than 3 competitive games (and 0 tournament games) for their nation prior to the age of 21. The rule is designed to stop bigger international teams from giving young players with dual nationalities caps just to lock down their future elligibility, i.e. El Ghazi with the Netherlands, Zaha with England.

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

New FIFA rules mean that players can switch allegiance once if they have played no more than 3 competitive games (and 0 tournament games) for their nation prior to the age of 21. The rule is designed to stop bigger international teams from giving young players with dual nationalities caps just to lock down their future elligibility, i.e. El Ghazi with the Netherlands, Zaha with England.

I see, didn't realize they had changed the rules.  Shame he didn't get it sorted with Morocco before the WC, would likely have been called up.

He got stitched up by Cristiano Ronaldo.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/netherlands/news/el-ghazi-ronaldo-advised-me_248568.html

Anwar El Ghazi has revealed that Cristiano Ronaldo has advised him to play for the Netherlands at international level over Morocco.

The Ajax forward is currently in Danny Blind's 28-man preliminary squad to face Kazakhstan and Czech Republic in October, after scoring seven goals this season for the Dutch club.

The 20-year-old, whose parents hail from the North African country, says that he chose to don the Oranje colours after the Real Madrid talisman advised him on doing so.

"I have thought about it for a long time. My parents, my family, my personal trainer and also Cristiano Ronaldo have advised me. I have included everything in my choice," El Ghazi told Ajax's official website.

"It came up with Ronaldo. He asked how I stood on the Netherlands. He said if he were me, he would opt for the Netherlands. He said I had to decide it myself and that people always have an opinion.

Yet another nail in CR7's coffin. Terrible advice. AEG would almost certainly be in Morocco's WC squad.

Edited by KentVillan

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He got stitched up by Cristiano Ronaldo.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/netherlands/news/el-ghazi-ronaldo-advised-me_248568.html

Yet another nail in CR7's coffin. Terrible advice. AEG would almost certainly be in Morocco's WC squad.

Maybe he knew one day Morocco would knock Portugal out so steered him to the Dutch 

• Haha 1

If he didn’t pick morocco through genuine love for his country and an affinity that he feels with his heart, then he has no one to blame but himself

I love the guy, but there is no worse feeling than being the person missing out with your spot being given to someone else - who didn’t really want it. So a big no from me.  

Of all the crap excuses that Southgate was coming out with why not to pick Grealish, the one excuse that held any water with me was that he had picked Ireland first.  But of course he couldn’t use that because of the Rice issue.

• Like 1

I don’t think he would have started over Boufal and Ziyech maybe he could have played instead of HamdAlla the bozo. Morocco chasing a goal with El-Ghazi on the pitch for the last twenty five minutes or so might have nicked one last night. 

Alas wish him well.

5 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don’t think he would have started over Boufal and Ziyech maybe he could have played instead of HamdAlla the bozo. Morocco chasing a goal with El-Ghazi on the pitch for the last twenty five minutes or so might have nicked one last night. 

Alas wish him well.

Agreed - El Ghazi had a habit of being a clinical finisher when he didn't have to think or do a Tonev.

Would try again for their 2026 run if I were him. The Netherlands side have a steady influx of wide forwards/wingers that he won't get in front unless he has an amazing 4 years. He would easily make this Morocco side in 2026.

• 3 months later...

Got a huge amount of love for Anwar. Good chance he'd still be here if Gerrard hadn't happened. Knows where the net is and can play wuick incisive one touch passes. Needed more confidence in himself and to have mentality for the battle with big defenders, but a clean strike, nice bit of skill and the best penalty in world football... 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dale said:

Got a huge amount of love for Anwar. Good chance he'd still be here if Gerrard hadn't happened. Knows where the net is and can play wuick incisive one touch passes. Needed more confidence in himself and to have mentality for the battle with big defenders, but a clean strike, nice bit of skill and the best penalty in world football... 

same. A confidence player for sure, if he just believed in himself that alone gives that extra yard - and he would have scored more. 

• 5 weeks later...

Scored his penalty in the shoot out win the cup final vs ajax yesterday

Didn't realise that game was managed by heitinga and van nistelrooy

Shoot out looked a fun one too

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Personally think he would still fit into our squad with a bit of a Emery's coaching masterclass.

He wouldn't like. Aside from banging a goal in he was really poor on the ball tbf.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I hope the PSV fans understand he is probably not serious because if he made a similar post while playing here people would be calling for him to be sacked and a disgrace to the club :D  

• Like 3

Â