John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 10/12/2023 at 12:41, mjmooney said:

Forget Cruyff, The McGuinn Turn is a real thing, and deserves to be more widely known. If we play CL next season, perhaps it will be. 

Maybe the Barcelona and Real Madrid midfielders might start copying it. 

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Hybrid Emery genius. 6 goals and 3 assists so far. But how many times has he assisted the assist. Must be a ton.  And then you add in his ball winning ability , super human strength, the mcginn turn,  best arse on the planet, leadership, huge stamina. He is the most effective attacking midfielder around at the  moment. Be interesting to see how he is doing in the form table for players recently

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 12:35, Cizzler said:

I’ve actually got even more embarrassing comments re: McGinn in here that could have been unearthed! At least the one you quoted was before I’d seen him play…

End of the Smith regime / during Gerrard’s - I was giving him pelters. Didn’t think he was good enough.

Well, massive slice of humble pie for me to scoff. Been truly excellent since Emery has come in and long may it continue.

(and I’ll lay off the player threads going forwards)

He deserved those pelters, he was unfit, carrying too much weight and trying to do too much and his game was suffering for it. 

Since Unai has come in he's gotten Leaner which has allowed him to be more fit and be a lot more agile and he's playing within a defined tactical role that Unai has provided and he's thriving because of it. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 09:23, birdman said:

Can't believe I'm posting this but here goes 🤦 (Garth Crooks TOTW)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67678013

Someone has edited that. At first he had picked McAtee for scoring a 'great free-kick'. It's now been edited seen as it wasn't a free-kick that he scored 😂

Edited by Tom13
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

myself and probably many others thought that captaincy was something that McGinn would not be any good at. Because of his joker status

I will hold my hand up and say I was thinking exactly this.   Mings will always be the captain and it should not have been taken off him the way it was. However SJM has grown into the role even more since Tys absence and its a joy to see.

• Thanks 1

He's done something very few mature (as in in his late 20s) players actually do and that's take his game to another level at this stage in his career. I distinctly remember groaning when he came off the bench during Emery's first game with us because not only had he been pretty poor under Slippy, even under Smith's final years he often didn't look great. He's completely turned it around and although Emery's coaching obviously has played a big part, he still had to take it on board and put it into practice. Mentally, I think he's one of the strongest players we've ever had.

He will go down as a Villa legend, no doubt about it.

• Like 1

I thought McGinn had been a disappointment in the Premier League, he looked like he couldn’t find time and space at this level to bring his game, and with the added burden of Captaincy I expected him to fall into a Dendonker style substitute role or to be sold. But credit to Emery and himself, he has emerged as a Captain by example and upped his game to a new and higher level. That’s some feat and credit to him. His stats are terrific this season, he found his shooting boots too.

• Like 1

Â