John McGinn

PompeyVillan

5 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Right now I’m not sure if I would trade him for any other midfielder in the league. Maybe a fully fit De Bruyne? Can’t think of anyone else.

He’s becoming the leader and the talisman we thought Grealish was going to be long term for us. In fact he might have already surpassed that given that it now seems we are operating at a higher level.

Agree with this. On the one hand he's performing at a consistently very high level, and on the other he just fits, he gets the club, he's beloved by the fans. As a combined package he would be as tough to replace as Grealish was. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't understand how he's gotten so good since Emery came in? This time a year ago it felt like he could barely pass a ball at times and now he's playing like prime Iniesta?

Even pre-Emery he was definitely able to just hit a very clever long ball out of nowhere at times, but the rest of his play was generally pretty lacking bar his great duelling, and even those great passes weren't a particularly common phenomenon. Now Emery's added way more layers to his game and he's making several passes like that a game. Actually incredible what good coaching can do.

Edited by wishywashy

Absolutely superb whenever the ball is near him at all.

I'd like him to force himself into the game a bit more when we're on the back foot.

After HT obviously, and that last 10 mins we were ropey. Team was flapping around a bit. McGinn needs to go demand the ball - drop deep and help Diego, Konsa, Olsen to fire some quick passes around and calm us down.

GREAT performance. I still think he can do more.

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't understand how he's gotten so good since Emery came in? This time a year ago it felt like he could barely pass a ball at times and now he's playing like prime Iniesta?

He looked Gerrard in the eye and saw the depths of hell. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Emery has improved his decision making no doubt, but crucially he now actually has options to pass to. Instead of trying the aimless floated balls into the box.

He's commented on this himself, how Emery has taught him to compose himself on the ball.

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Unai’s got some tricks up his sleeve…

spacer.png

Waxed lyrical in the ratings thread already but he’s incredibly important for us now, Unai has elevated and transformed him to an incredible degree… pretty much the complete midfielder and a proper leader, the “heartbeat” of this team… sweats, bleeds and fights for the team but has such quality to boot now…

What a captain he has become, both on and off the field…

Once again, I’m sorry John…

Also again, we have to ensure we don’t rely too heavily on him… he can’t perform at peak levels in every game  so others have to pick up that slack… it’s not all about technical skill and panache (as wonderful and important as they are)… you need to fight and compete too and not lose focus…

No worries… Unai’s on it…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely superb whenever the ball is near him at all.

I'd like him to force himself into the game a bit more when we're on the back foot.

After HT obviously, and that last 10 mins we were ropey. Team was flapping around a bit. McGinn needs to go demand the ball - drop deep and help Diego, Konsa, Olsen to fire some quick passes around and calm us down.

GREAT performance. I still think he can do more.

I think he does that a lot more from the right as his natural arc takes him inside into the play. On the left not as much but by god he was good today. 

Amazing to think this time last year, everyone thought he was garbage. People were calling for him to stripped of his captaincy and dropped. 

Turns out it was that Steven Gerrard bloke who needed to be binned. 

I’m so happy to what John is now. The big booty graft king 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Amazing to think this time last year, everyone thought he was garbage. People were calling for him to stripped of his captaincy and dropped. 

Turns out it was that Steven Gerrard bloke who needed to be binned. 

I’m so happy to what John is now. The big booty graft king 

Tbf he hadn't looked great under Smith either for quite some time. I admit I was all in favour of getting rid but credit to him he's upped his game by about 7 different levels.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

There was a point last year where I couldn't believe he was captain. He looked like a shell of a player out there. Really proud of him every time I see him out there now. He's also added some real quality to his typical combativeness and tenacity. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

SJM has always had the talent, but under the Scouse fraud it seemed that he was playing under a lot of pressure to bail the manager out. Always looking for a quick Hollywood pass to provide the 'manager' with a moment of magic to bail him out.

He's said a few times now that he's always played under a British manager, and wishes he'd had someone like Unai much earlier in his career. Unai has slowed his game, and given him control over his play. In return, McGinn has lapped up every last bit of Unai's coaching and is probably our best player every week. Genuinely believe he could walk into any team sheet in the world right now.

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

The change in position has helped massively. He was performing for Scotland like this the whole time but was not suited to the role he was asked to do at Villa. 

• Like 2

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

I'm sorry for ever doubting Super John McGinn!

He struggled under a failing DS and a charlatan of manager.

That is the reality and so it has been proven....

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Â