John McGinn

PompeyVillan

It's a real shame that a player who has been such a big part of our good memories over the past few years is being given enough rope to hang himself in a formation that doesn't work for him.

I actually thought it would get to the point where the fans would cheer his substitution if it happened today so maybe it's better that it didn't.

That would've been a bit of a sour taste.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont hate McGinn, its really hard to hate him for his contribution since joining the club. I just dont think he is good enough and we all said at the start of the season he is the player we should be replacing

Now the manager I hate, he has turned the fans against McGinn by his bullshit and making him captain when he should be a squad player. He has already ballsed up other morale in the squad and he should be the one the anger is aimed at not McGinn

McGinn to me, as an outsider of the dressing room, always seemed like the good banter, lift the spirits, train hard but still have fun sort of lad. 

As club captain, understanding the bigger picture and leading the rest of the team? Another bad appointment by Gerrard and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just to “shake up” the team. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He seems an honest guy and don't think he's enjoyed all the fuss around Mings it's created. Also impacted with crowd as haven't heard the McGinn chant this season.

It was sung first ten minutes against West Ham 

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Conspicuous by his absence on social media and post matches all season. A ludicrous choice for captain.

yet twice konsa has had to face the media post match

6 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

He was struggling to keep up at around the 55-60min mark. Seems to be the 1st player to get tired in the team. Then gerrard takes luiz off instead... Joke.

Managers just seem to want him on the pitch at all costs. He's never been the same since he did his ligaments v Southampton in December 2019. Easy to forget start of the season he score 3 in his first 7 games so still had the knack of getting into the box and finishing off moves.

When did he last do that for us? He only scores 1-2 a season now and they tend to be strikes from outside the box.

So he's not in the team for scoring goals anymore like probably Ramsey has been and he's simply not good enough in the defensive aspects.

We have to give Kamara-Luiz a run of 5-6 starts together unless we're signing a new CM in next few days. McGinn I'm afraid is just getting in the way now to progress.

I'd genuinely like to know what Gerrard sees in him. Obviously he's done a lot of good for us over the years but it's extremely weird seeing Gerrard start him week in week out when he's one of the worst performers, and even hauling off Luiz who was controlling the midfield instead of McGinn. It makes no sense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'd genuinely like to know what Gerrard sees in him. Obviously he's done a lot of good for us over the years but it's extremely weird seeing Gerrard start him week in week out when he's one of the worst performers, and even hauling off Luiz who was controlling the midfield instead of McGinn. It makes no sense.

Gerrard was all action and over the pitch. I just think that's the type of midfielder he likes, covering every single blade of grass chasing the ball all over the pitch rather than just holding position strategically and circulating the ball.

Plus McGinn was probably a decent guy in dressing room so I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

We should've just given Martinez the armband tbh if Gerrard decided he wanted fresh voice as captain which is his right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Gerrard was all action and over the pitch. I just think that's the type of midfielder he likes, covering every single blade of grass chasing the ball all over the pitch rather than just holding position strategically and circulating the ball.

Plus McGinn was probably a decent guy in dressing room so I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

We should've just given Martinez the armband tbh if Gerrard decided he wanted fresh voice as captain which is his right.

If McGinn hadn't been named captain, he'd still be playing full 90 every game just like he did under Steven last season. That's the main problem, not that he's captain, that he's starting (and normally finishing) every game.

27 minutes ago, Mantis said:

He is the closest we have to Gerrard the player. Gerrard loves the Hollywood hit and hope shots he takes as gives him memories of his own ego fuelled career 

• Like 3

I've never seen a player just aimlessly  jog or amble around like McGinn does. Couldn't give a toss or cannot run, either way it is inconceivable this oaf gets games, never mind starts them. He's a liability. Get rid.

• Like 2

Â