World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

If he missed it hitting a Croatian player he missed a possible penalty incident so VAR was the right call.

What the referee decided after that is his interpretation. I think one problem with the video to decide deliberateness, whatever that definition is in football, is the slow mo.

For me it’s as close to borderline as you’ll get for a handball. I’d understand either decision.

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I want France to win this, Croatian players comments after beating us were a disgrace. As soon as it finishes il go back to not liking France again ?

I think they made comments about the English pundits, which to be fair were valid. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s not a lack of knowledge. It’s just the knowledge that the rule isn’t applied the way you’re suggesting. 

Arm outstrecthed, moves towards the ball. That will be given. 

If handballs were only given for actual deliberate handballs. As in when the player has consciously moved his hand and deliberately handled it, then we would hardly ever see a handball given. 

You might think that that is how it should be. But the reality is that it is not. 

The problem I have with what seems to be the current interpretation, is I genuinely think the Croatian defender was just moving his arms back down to his sides.

In that scenario, he has no idea where the ball is going, he keeps his arms up, he's definitely **** as he's keeping his arms up in the air, he moves his arms down, they look like they're moving to the ball even though they're just coming down to his sides.

I hate to say it, but I think Linekar might be right, I'd accept the law being changed to 'it hits your hands, it's handball'. It'd at least make it clear and consistent.

Just now, Xela said:

I think they made comments about the English pundits, which to be fair were valid. 

Nah, we were in with a shout of reaching the final, if you can’t get carried away by then and enjoy it then when? It’s every 4 years, bollocks am I being cautious when we are in the semi’s. Pundits are fans too. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

The problem I have with what seems to be the current interpretation, is I genuinely think the Croatian defender was just moving his arms back down to his sides.

In that scenario, he has no idea where the ball is going, he keeps his arms up, he's definitely **** as he's keeping his arms up in the air, he moves his arms down, they look like they're moving to the ball even though they're just coming down to his sides.

I hate to say it, but I think Linekar might be right, I'd accept the law being changed to 'it hits your hands, it's handball'. It'd at least make it clear and consistent.

What I didn’t like about what Lineker said was that “VAR was brought in to remove controversy”

it really wasnt. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There can definitely be cases in which a penalty should be given for handball even if the player wasn't deliberately handling it. 

Again, nope. 

Its just referees getting the ruling wrong. If it needs changing, fine, but basically handball should be a rare event. This World Cup has made it ridiculous - particularly given the VAR review element. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

What I didn’t like about what Lineker said was that “VAR was brought in to remove controversy”

it really wasnt. 

Well, you can't expect him to be right about 2 things in a single broadcast. ;) 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Again, nope. 

Its just referees getting the ruling wrong. If it needs changing, fine, but basically handball should be a rare event. This World Cup has made it ridiculous - particularly given the VAR review element. 

So defenders should be free to just starfish on the goal line from corners? "It wasn't deliberate, I'm just standing like this, I didn't know where the ball was going to go".

• Like 3

Just now, villa4europe said:

defenisve midfielder coming on after 52 minutes, i hope croatia win now

horrible anti football decision

Kante booked - seems fair enough I think. Not a massive switch in mentality. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

So defenders should be free to just starfish on the goal line from corners? "It wasn't deliberate, I'm just standing like this, I didn't know where the ball was going to go".

No, because you’re deliberately standing in a starfish position on the goalline so you’re using your arms/hands, deliberately, to cover an area. 

Edit: or, yes, you can stand there like that. But if the ball hit your starfished arm/hand, it would be a penalty. 

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Not exactly a star fish though was it? Arm is by the side of the body which is normally what ppl have their arms about 

Just now, bobzy said:

No, because you’re deliberately standing in a starfish position on the goalline so you’re using your arms/hands, deliberately, to cover an area. 

Exactly.

So we get in to the position where it has to be considered how the player is standing, what their motives are, and what an acceptable position is.

So you can't stand like a starfish. Can you jump up with your arms in the air? How high? How long can you keep your arms up?

It's never going to be an exact rule when you have that degree of interpretation.

Â